Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: The recent attacks on Gethin Jenkins

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm sure nerd is already feasting at the top table with Hammam and the old "inner circle." :lol:

To blame the CEO for the cancellation of the Malaysian tour is, quite frankly, laughable.

But it fits in with the agenda (I know you love me using that word!!) although it appears to be rapidly falling apart at the seams.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Jones' comments.

"However, we will be the first side to bring in about 50 players of all age-group to play friendlies because after getting a Malaysian owner, we want to make long-term plans and a lasting impression."

On a serious note, he said: "We have an excellent academy and rely on home-grown talent. I hope our pre-season training in Malaysia will showcase our brand of football, and in the long run, talented Malaysians will have a club in Europe to look forward to."

Jones certainly seemed convinced it was a definite. Those comments are arguably substantive enough, given they were made towards the end of his stay there.

So, Jones seems pro going, TG would naturally be. Who at high enough level to block it would do so? Guy? Jenkins? Those are the only real candidates.

Equally, consider the club "reason" - "facilities". Which is certainly somewhat laughable. I'd doubt Jones or TG would make such a crass comment, so that would tend to point to a lack of judgment by whoever sanctioned that club statement on the official site.

EDIT:

Wikipedia definition for CEO.

"A chief executive officer (CEO) or chief executive is the highest-ranking corporate officer (executive) or administrator in charge of total management of an organization. An individual appointed as CEO of a corporation, company, organization, or agency reports to the board of directors."

it's thus plausible jenkins would make the final call.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Claude Blue wrote:I'm sure nerd is already feasting at the top table with Hammam and the old "inner circle." :lol:

To blame the CEO for the cancellation of the Malaysian tour is, quite frankly, laughable.

But it fits in with the agenda (I know you love me using that word!!) although it appears to be rapidly falling apart at the seams.

I've met Hammam a grand total of once. he did give me a scoop though - that the club were working with Josh Low to find a solution to his asthma.

"Inner circle"? No, never feasted with them, I'm afraid. Just had a delicious Doner kebab pot noodle though. heartily recommend.

The difference, Claude, between you and TLG is that TLG can actually discuss sensibly, when he wants to.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:30 pm

It's 'plausible' but not definite....to repeat......you're guessing!!!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:36 pm

VCLEE wrote:It's 'plausible' but not definite....to repeat......you're guessing!!!

When you remove the impossible solutions, what's left is generally the obvious.

A CEO manages the company. His say ranks above that of Jones - Jones may whinge, but if club commits to going, it goes.

What I don't get is why it was cancelled, and why such a silly reason was given for the cancellation.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Gethin Jenkins WAS involved with the decision.

Source:- Barrie McAulff Cardiff city Football Club.

Over to you TLG!!!!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:39 pm

ridofrid wrote:Gethin Jenkins WAS involved with the decision.

Source:- Barrie McAulff Cardiff city Football Club.

Over to you TLG!!!!

Of course he was involved in the decision! He's the CEO!

But I don't believe it was his decision alone. Do you?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:42 pm

i agree, but why did he put it out to the press that it was cancelled due to logistical reasons. That is a downright lie.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:43 pm

nerd wrote:It's thus plausible jenkins would make the final call.

Plausible. But, for me, it's far more plausible that a decision was reached by a consenus of board members and senior management.

Nobody ever seems to mention the club's new Finance Director, Doug Lee. If the decision to cancel the tour was made on financial grounds, then I'm sure he would have had a significant input.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Hmm.

The CEO lies between the directors and the rest of the company. If he wanted us to go, we'd go because it would be where the final decision lies.

If Jones had misgivings, those must have suddenly appeared after returning from Malaysia, which I'd be amazed about.

Doug Lee may have had input, I agree. But that's all input to the person making the final decision. A CEO isn't there to be part of a group hug, voting on decisions, he's there to manage the company. Which means you get all the information, make an informed decision.

As I said earlier, one thing TG would want is us marketed in Malaysia to increase potential future income streams. If it was a purely financial issue, I'm sure any shortfall would have been funded - ie Malaysian FA funding the trip to a degree, us finding the rest due to the potential long term gains.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Look at this thread and see what happens, he may have been directly involved, he may not have been. Nobody knows all the facts for sure as no statement was ever released by the man himself........it's hearsay and assumptions which can easily be interpreted as fact.
The vilification of Jenkins is unfounded.......its simply influential supporters with alterior motives stirring the pot.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Sadly, I'm not influential.

Christ, I can't even influence the wife and kids. Or the cat.

No ulterior motive on my part. Hammam has positives - he does seem to love football, developed the Academy - has negatives - ie handling money.

if he did return, he can contribute to the future of the club, if a structure is devised where he runs the football operation whilst not directly manipulating the finances.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:52 pm

nerd wrote:The CEO lies between the directors and the rest of the company. If he wanted us to go, we'd go because it would be where the final decision lies.

Do you honestly believe Jenkins has that sort of power? I certainly don't.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:57 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
nerd wrote:The CEO lies between the directors and the rest of the company. If he wanted us to go, we'd go because it would be where the final decision lies.

Do you honestly believe Jenkins has that sort of power? I certainly don't.

If he doesn't then the question is, who does, and why is he employed in a CEO role on a CEO's salary.

I can't grasp the Malaysians sanctioning that. Whch could point more towards Paul Guy as a puppet master of Jenkins.

Which in turn would mean Jenkins going would be no big loss to the club.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:01 pm

nerd wrote:If he doesn't then the question is, who does, and why is he employed in a CEO role on a CEO's salary.

I can't grasp the Malaysians sanctioning that. Whch could point more towards Paul Guy as a puppet master of Jenkins.

I wasn't at all keen on Jenkins' appointment, for reasons I will outline on my blog in due course. However, I think a lot of the bullets that are being fired at him are unreasonable.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Nerd you are so right. Lets look at the possible logistal problems that could have according to the CEO could have caused him to cancel.

Airlines. Kuala Lumpur is a major hub for international scheduled service airlines. Some of which are amongst the best in the world. All of these airlines have considerable experience of carrying kit skips used by clubs for major tours.

Hotels. The standard of hotels out there are superb and far superior to any comparable hotels in Portugal (DJ's choice) These hotels have the finest chefs and will cater for all dietary requirements for sporting groups.

Transfers, Malysia is a country that handles millions of individual and group visitors and has hundreds of luxury air conditioned coaches.

Opposition. This has not changed since the tour was announced at the EGM, and DJ would have known that standard from day one.

Temperature and humidity. This information again was available to the club from day one and if they didnt believe info on google, ask a local, I am sure TG and VT could have told them and of course SB has been there too.

Standard of ground. The F.A. of Malaysia had switched league games to accommodate our request for a friendly and the game was confirmed for the 17th July at the Bukit Jalil national stadium which is an 87,411 all seater capacity stadium.

Now i cannot think that any of that would have caused concerns about logistical reasons, and the flight seats were booked.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:14 pm

It isomplete rubbish to say that people had it in for him from the start. When he first came in he had great support from everyone I spoke to. People were saying that they thought he'd do a good job.

However now time has passed he's being judged on his performance or I should say lack of performance. He's been shocking so far and way short of what the club needs. That is why people have turned. It's nothing personal, he's just not up to the job. End of.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:15 pm

FFS why cant people see that he has been targeted by 'sams inner circle' to try and clear the way for thier chum to return. Its savage and ridiculous!! What exactly has he done that has had a negetive effect? I will need hard evidence too - not chinese whispers!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:16 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
nerd wrote:If he doesn't then the question is, who does, and why is he employed in a CEO role on a CEO's salary.

I wasn't at all keen on Jenkins' appointment, for reasons I will outline on my blog in due course. However, I think a lot of the bullets that are being fired at him are unreasonable.

For what I gained speaking to Newport Dragons fans, it generally ranged from brilliant to abysmal, with the bulk of views being that he was adequate.

Situation we're in, adequate doesn't cut the mustard.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:19 pm

He has caused our reputation in Malaysia a great deal of harm by telling the press and announcing on club's site that the tour was cancelled due logistic problems after the evaluation visit by DJ.

Logistical reasons my arse !!!

He should have put the true reason.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:25 pm

I think most accept that the tour was cancelled for financial reasons.

Does anyone here think that that's what the club should have said in their statement i.e. "we're skint, so we're not going to Malaysia."?

No, of course they shouldn't. Doesn't look very good does it?

Think gentlemen, think.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Claude,

Jenkins also should have engaged his brain before stating logistical reasons were behind the cancellation as this has offended our Malaysian hosts. Why make them out to be not capable of hosting a visit from us just because we didnt have the money to do it.
Do you think it was wise commercial decision then to offend them to protect our reputation if we still have one after this fiasco.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Claude Blue wrote:I think most accept that the tour was cancelled for financial reasons.

Does anyone here think that that's what the club should have said in their statement i.e. "we're skint, so we're not going to Malaysia."?

No, of course they shouldn't. Doesn't look very good does it?

Think gentlemen, think.

Well, the financial issues would have been known before Jones visited, surely?

It looks a lot worse to issue a statemet making it seem like the Malaysia facilities weren't up to scratch, tho - quite insulting, no? That looks a hell of a lot worse to a nation we've got serious investors from, especially given it's almost certain they would look to market in Malaysia.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Nerd
We can forget a sensible response from Claude now, he just likes to stir but cannot handle reasoned debate, founded on facts.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:02 pm

If the statement given on the official website isn't satisfactory, what do people suggest would have been a better approach to it?

Would anyone care to suggest an alternative?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Claude Blue wrote:I think most accept that the tour was cancelled for financial reasons.

Think gentlemen, think.

Well yes basically, the truth is always better than a bare faced lie. Worded better obviously such as: "Our current financial situation demands a more prudent view and whilst a trip to Malaysia would be f*cking fantastic, we need to cut our cloth accordingly"
That's just off the cuff, but it closer matches the truth and people can understand a bit of honesty. Quick Claude run to Gethin's office, you might get some brownie points off him here.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Owain wrote:If the statement given on the official website isn't satisfactory, what do people suggest would have been a better approach to it?

Would anyone care to suggest an alternative?

Something like...

"Due to unforseen circumstances, we regretfully are unable to tour Malaysia this summer. We are however fully commited to visiting next summer."

You can easily couch the sentiment with better language.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Stavross wrote:
ninianboy1 wrote:I could never quite understand why a few key posters on this board attacked the work of Gethin Jenkins from day one. He was never given a chance to settle into his role.

But now I'm begining to wonder whether these attacks were actually initiated or at least encouraged by Hammam to help ease his return to the helm?

Exactly!

As I've said in another post, this was not about Jenkins' ability to do the job. It was engineering a situation where Sam could come back as the saviour again!

If that is actually happening then GOOD :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Something like

Because our CEO hasn't bothered to discuss players contracts with key players who will soon be out of contract and the fact that we are still discussing the sale of our saleable players with rival clubs, we just haven't got the time.

That would have been as honest as jenkins excuse and would have caused less offence.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Just a few thoughts:
1. I didn't read any of CCFC's comments as dissing Malaysian facilities. Logistics includes transport, timing, conditioning of players, ability of the club to gear up the marketing in such a short space of time etc.
2. It was reported that Jenkins was on £50 -£60k. Not really a CEO's salary if true. If true it may reflect a limited remit.
3. He may be on probation.
4. Such heavy criticism of Jenkins, is implicit criticism of TG who interviewed him?
Bosco