Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The recent attacks on Gethin Jenkins

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:52 am

I could never quite understand why a few key posters on this board attacked the work of Gethin Jenkins from day one. He was never given a chance to settle into his role.

But now I'm begining to wonder whether these attacks were actually initiated or at least encouraged by Hammam to help ease his return to the helm?

Re: The recent attacks on Gethin Jenkins

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:22 am

Newport Dragons fans, people I've spoken to, for every one saying he did a good job, there have been many others not rating him.

Been given a role way over his head, to be honest, he clearly doesn't understand football.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:36 am

ninianboy1 wrote:I could never quite understand why a few key posters on this board attacked the work of Gethin Jenkins from day one. He was never given a chance to settle into his role.

But now I'm begining to wonder whether these attacks were actually initiated or at least encouraged by Hammam to help ease his return to the helm?

Hmmmmm, interesting.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:43 am

ninianboy1 wrote:I could never quite understand why a few key posters on this board attacked the work of Gethin Jenkins from day one. He was never given a chance to settle into his role.

Exactly!

As I've said in another post, this was not about Jenkins' ability to do the job. It was engineering a situation where Sam could come back as the saviour again!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:14 am

So presumably PMG were involved too, appointing somebody incapable of effectively doing the job then?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:18 am

The so called attacks are because the man is CLUELESS IN A FOOTBALL CLUB, Why do you think Borley has walked away, because of Gethin Jenkins.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:20 am

Forever Blue wrote:

The so called attacks are because the man is CLUELESS IN A FOOTBALL CLUB, Why do you think Borley has walked away, because of Gethin Jenkins.

How do you know he is clueless after only 5 weeks?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 am

Stavross wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

How do you know he is clueless after only 5 weeks?

Because everything he has done behind the scenes so far has fallen apart and through him there have been many many fallings out in our club, Sam doesnt know who he is, so this has nothing to do with Sam, Jenkins is SMALL FRY.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:53 am

The only thing of note Jenkins has done is remove/refuse to restock some books. I sincerely hope the petty vindictive nature of some of the attacks are not a return to the old days....Some people need to take a look at themselves, Hammam's reputation is already shot, by nailing their colours so firmly to the Hammam mast, other reputations may soon be heading the same way. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:54 am

So cancelling the Malaysian tour, embarassing Tien Ghee and Tan isn't "of note"?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:00 am

Is Jenkins responsible for the tour cancellation? Have TG and VT issued any sort of statement about being embarrassed? If they have then I apologise, I would accept that would be 'of note'. It's all rumours and speculation.......as usual!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:02 am

ok, got you.

Ghee talking to the Malaysian press about Cardiff going over there, Jones doing the same, the Malaysian FA rearranging fixtures due to it... all suddenly being cancelled... isn't and never could be embarassing to the Malaysians in their own country... :rolleyes:

Jenkins is CEO. It''s within his remit. Do you seriously believe Ghee and Tan would make a decision which loses them face in their own country?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:06 am

I don't accept your assumptions about the situation nor Malaysian culture....sorry, you're just guessing!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:08 am

Fingers in ear time then, eh?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:09 am

If this guy is as bad at his job as people are saying then why dont they just sack him? It happens in other places of work, if you dont perform your out!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 am

nerd wrote:So cancelling the Malaysian tour, embarassing Tien Ghee and Tan isn't "of note"?

The tour was cancelled simply because the club couldn't afford it. That's not the fault of Jenkins who's only been in office for a few weeks.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:16 am

ninianboy1 wrote:
nerd wrote:So cancelling the Malaysian tour, embarassing Tien Ghee and Tan isn't "of note"?

The tour was cancelled simply because the club couldn't afford it. That's not the fault of Jenkins who's only been in office for a few weeks.

The club couldn't afford it days ago when Jones was telling the Malaysian press we'd be going.

We couldn't afford it when Tien Ghee was making the same comments.

Something sure as hell doesn't add up.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:20 am

nerd wrote:
ninianboy1 wrote:

The club couldn't afford it days ago when Jones was telling the Malaysian press we'd be going.

We couldn't afford it when Tien Ghee was making the same comments.

Something sure as hell doesn't add up.

I agree. But we can't blame a paid employee who's only been in post for a few weeks and doesn't have any significant shareholding.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:26 am

Nerd, look, we all know there's lots going on but nobody knows what exactly!!! It's not a case of fingers in ears or burying head in the sand.
What I hate more than anything is blatant attempts to manipulate the fan base with lies, misinformation and exaggerations. It's not just Hammam, Ridsdale etc.......what galls me more than anything is when I see respected influential supporters using the same techniques. All these vested interests stink to high heaven, I can assure you I read all postings, club statements with my eyes wide open.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:29 am

ninianboy1 wrote:I agree. But we can't blame a paid employee who's only been in post for a few weeks and doesn't have any significant shareholding.

Shareholding is irrelevant.

The point is, when was the CEO role advertised? What has Jenkins done that shows ability to handle this difficult role? Why was he thus appinted?

@VCL

Except you're not reading everything with eyes open. You're attributing posts to being part of an attempt to "manipulate".

Which is garbage, because, quite frankly, the fan base have zero say in the matter.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:44 am

Nerd,

You could be very naive or perhaps trying to manouvere a position at the inner circles table :) I don't know, more importantly I don't claim to know. I simply don't like seeing blatant attempts to manipulate. With the egos involved and everything that's going on I'm content to view and post my opinions from afar.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 am

I've no interest in any circles. Hate circles, far prefer squares to be honest.

My point is that you're attributing the news to an attempt to manipulate - which is probably not the case -as I've said, it won't be anything the fanbase can influence either way.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Is there any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Jenkins was the man behind the decision to cancel the tour?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:52 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:

Is there any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Jenkins was the man behind the decision to cancel the tour?

Are you implying that's not in Jenkins' remit as CEO?

We've Jones' comments to Malaysian press. We've TG's previous comments. All of which were positive, certainly the ones made by Jones.

Who may the decision to cancel? Jenkins? Borley? Paul Guy? Tea lady? Why give an excuse about the facilities when bigger clubs seem to have managed just fine?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:56 pm

nerd wrote:

I have no idea how far Jenkins' remit extends or what he is responsible for. Do you?

On what grounds do you believe the tour was cancelled?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:00 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
nerd wrote:

I have no idea how far Jenkins' remit extends or what he is responsible for. Do you?

On what grounds do you believe the tour was cancelled?

No, TLG, but the question then is if Jenkins' remit doesn't cover such things, what exactly does it cover? And if the scope is incredibly limited, wh the need for him?

I have no idea why it was cancelled; the decision is baffling to me.

Do you believe the clubs' statement about "facilities" given other bigger clubs having played there and the comments of Jones to the Malaysian media?

What's your view?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:06 pm

My view is that the tour was half-arsed idea to begin with and the arrangements were almost certainly unsatisfactory. After all, the people who are now running the club have only been in charge for a month.

I also the believe the decision may well have had a financial element to it, ie: that it simply wasn't financially viable at this point in time.

But what I believe most firmly of all is that the decision to cancel was a collective one that involved the board, the management and the staff. The notion that is was all down to the new CEO is frankly ridiculous.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:08 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:My view is that the tour was half-arsed idea to begin with and the arrangements were almost certainly unsatisfactory. After all, the people who are now running the club have only been in charge for a month.

I also the believe the decision may well have had a financial element to it, ie: that it ismply wasn't financially viable at this point in time.

But what I believe most firmly of all is that the decision to cancel was a collective one that involved the board, the management and the staff. The notion that is was all down to the new CEO is frankly ridiculous.

I definitely agree with you there.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:11 pm

That's a view, certainly TLG.

The only problems I would see with it are that Jones certainly seems more than keen to go, based on his media comments. Indeed, it leaves an ad hoc pre season being arranged in Portugal.

TG would certainly be keen - it's almost certain part of their long term plan is building our presence in malaysia. Indeed, didn't he refer to the tour in the EGM?

The Malaysian FA were certainly made aware we'd be going - rearranging domestic league fixtures.

Can't see Borley having a strong view either way, to be honest.

The financial issue, sure can see that - but teams going on tour like that don't fully fund the trip generally.

EDIT:

And certainly the clubs reference to "facilites" would go down like a fart in an elevator. Bit of an insult, that one, hardly like travelling to Outer Mongolia.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:19 pm

I would treat Jones' comments to the Malaysian press with a pinch of salt. He didn't say anything of substance and he wasn't likely to tell a Malaysain reporter that he was unhappy with the arrangements.

For all we know, Jones believed the tour was set in stone when he said what he did (which wasn't much). Perhaps he came back with a few misgivings, discussed them with the board and a decision was reached to postpone the tour for twelve months.

We knows? I don't and I don't believe anyone using this board does either. However, I'm confident the decision wasn't down to Gethin Jenkins.