Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Ledley to Stoke. by Stoke city fan

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:57 pm

Joff wrote:
victoriaboothen wrote:Can Ledley play left back? I only ask as a many of us can't see him breaking into our midfield.That's unless Lawrence goes to Celtic,or we use Delap as a sub.Our central midfield will be very hard for him to get into,we have Whitehead and Whelan.Then on the left we have Etherington,no chance will Ledley dislodge him from the side.

That is definatley not his best position. He is a creative midfielder In my opinion and he will get you goals. everyone has an opinion, however we are hard up and have offerered him an amazing contract, which shows how much he is regarded at Cardiff.

I am also assuming if he goes to you that one or two of your fringe players ( Griffin) will be coming to Tiger Bay ?

At the early stages of this deal many thought we were offering you Griffin and Michael Tonge,Griff is going Reading we are led to believe.Also heard we have tried to avoid a tribunal by offering Dave Kitson but Jones was not interested.
Nice to have a decent conversation without it all getting silly,we all know the history between our clubs.
I'm off to the gym for a few hours,but i will post any new news i hear from this end.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:03 pm

My Opinion, Joe Ledley will be a big loss to City,I know he hasnt been at his best in the last year, but towards the end of the season, I could see the old Ledley coming back.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Joff

Agree with you about he should move to AS Roma. Apart from the obvious lifestyle differences-Rome v Stoke on Trent(Please!), Roma are a vastly improved Serie A side and the pace of the whole league will suit Joe's game-Which was obviously looked at before the link came about. John Arne Riise(who was deemed not quite up to the pace/standard of the Premier league, has found a new lease of life on the left side of Roma's back five. In my humble opinion, moving to Stoke would be a huge mistake, but lets be honest, his agent wants his 20% or whatever it is, so getting the best advice on where to further his career probably comes a very poor second behind where he'd get the most money

Moving to Italy wouldn't do his international pedigree any harm either, and would develop his game by a country mile further than by being at Stoke. Plying your trade in Englands'top flight isn't what it's cracked up to be anymore, as those Bundesliga youngsters pointed out in devastating fashion yesterday mate

Anthony

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:19 pm

CityGent wrote:Joff

Agree with you about he should move to AS Roma. Apart from the obvious lifestyle differences-Rome v Stoke on Trent(Please!), Roma are a vastly improved Serie A side and the pace of the whole league will suit Joe's game-Which was obviously looked at before the link came about. John Arne Riise(who was deemed not quite up to the pace/standard of the Premier league, has found a new lease of life on the left side of Roma's back five. In my humble opinion, moving to Stoke would be a huge mistake, but lets be honest, his agent wants his 20% or whatever it is, so getting the best advice on where to further his career probably comes a very poor second behind where he'd get the most money

Moving to Italy wouldn't do his international pedigree any harm either, and would develop his game by a country mile further than by being at Stoke. Plying your trade in Englands'top flight isn't what it's cracked up to be anymore, as those Bundesliga youngsters pointed out in devastating fashion yesterday mate

Anthony

Some valid points there Tony. Jose M also has the same thoughts on the Premier League aswell. Whatsmore, the prize money is so high, teams are happy to get promoted, spend no money knowing they will be relegated, a la Burnley , which delvalues the League even more.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Anthony

Anthony,

Ledley has to think about his close family at the moment in Cardiff, cant go in to it, but he cant go to far away.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Joff wrote:

Anthony

Some valid points there Tony. Jose M also has the same thoughts on the Premier League aswell. Whatsmore, the prize money is so high, teams are happy to get promoted, spend no money knowing they will be relegated, a la Burnley , which delvalues the League even more.

It's a weird situation mate. The dream that we've all been striving for, since the first time we stepped foot on the Bob bank, the more you look at it and weigh it up, seems to be less and less inviting by the year

When clubs want to pay 30 million for an average at best player like James Milner, then you know the game as we knew it is truly fucked

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Anthony

Anthony,

Ledley has to think about his close family at the moment in Cardiff, cant go in to it, but he cant go to far away.

Understandable mate. I hope a half decent club makes him an offer closer to home. A top flight London club maybe. Anywhere but Stoke for the boy

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:47 pm

CityGent wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Anthony

Anthony,

Understandable mate. I hope a half decent club makes him an offer closer to home. A top flight London club maybe. Anywhere but Stoke for the boy

I think if Joe does relocate to the Potteries , it would be the best move for him , due to the Pullis connection, and us, purley for the financial aspect. Ironically, if he does go to Stoke, we could actually receive more money upfront, than the original £6 million offer.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Evening lads,

I've only just got back in from the gym.For those of you who know The Brit and surrounding area i use Greens,basically over the roundabout from our ground.All our players use it as does Pulis.It will be no suprise to you that plenty of Stokies use it also.To cut a long story short Pulis and Ledley were both spotted in their this morning.Normally you would imagine transfer business is kept very quiet and away from preying eyes,but by all accounts neither of them seemed bothered.He would have been shown Greens as our new training complex is being completed over the next week or so and is basically a building site still.Looks as though Pulis finally got his man.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:49 pm

victoriaboothen wrote:Evening lads,

I've only just got back in from the gym.For those of you who know The Brit and surrounding area i use Greens,basically over the roundabout from our ground.All our players use it as does Pulis.It will be no suprise to you that plenty of Stokies use it also.To cut a long story short Pulis and Ledley were both spotted in their this morning.Normally you would imagine transfer business is kept very quiet and away from preying eyes,but by all accounts neither of them seemed bothered.He would have been shown Greens as our new training complex is being completed over the next week or so and is basically a building site still.Looks as though Pulis finally got his man.

Good.
The sooner its sorted the sooner we can start our transfer dealings.

Tribunal will set a fee of £2-£3m + add-ons.

Just hope we can use it and that it isnt required to pay off debts.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Im surprised he is leaving Cardiff tbh, will his gf be following him? If not it seems a strange move.

As for Joe he will be a loss but we managed a large part of last season without him.

I know a lot of people disagree but I do think he can do a good job at left back although at times he can be wasted at LB.
He doesnt have the pace to play Left wing so personally I think its LB, CM or bench.

As for the 500k comp....no chance

Re: Ledley to Stoke.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Joff wrote:I know from a confidante of joe , that he has been really impressed with AS Roma and the set up over there. ( who wouldnt be as Rome is a magnificant City), and he was touted to Roma as i think his agent is Italian and has links over there.

That said the delights of the Potteries may just sway the move :lol: , and from what you are saying , that appears to be the case.

I think he would be a big, big loss to us and a great signing for you.

Best regards

Baldwin of Base is less Italian than I am Chinese Joff!

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 pm

victoriaboothen wrote:Stoke fan in peace,
Our local paper are reporting that Joe Ledley is joining us,possibly before the end of this week.Our boss Pulis has got back to work today after his summer break and is now closing in on Ledley who is said to be keen on playing for Pulis.
I've also checked out a few Stoke forums and they are all running with the story.
Just like to add that The Sentinel never run a story without being confident of what they are reporting.Any news from your end?

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sp ... ticle.html

Will be great asset to your team mate. Good luck to the lad, he deserves his chance in the Prem and will be a loss to City,

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:34 pm

hartson qoute “Stoke City are interested, but they’d just hit it over his head at Stoke anyway.”
Classic lol

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:08 pm

victoriaboothen wrote:
Joff wrote:
victoriaboothen wrote:Can Ledley play left back? I only ask as a many of us can't see him breaking into our midfield.That's unless Lawrence goes to Celtic,or we use Delap as a sub.Our central midfield will be very hard for him to get into,we have Whitehead and Whelan.Then on the left we have Etherington,no chance will Ledley dislodge him from the side.

That is definatley not his best position. He is a creative midfielder In my opinion and he will get you goals. everyone has an opinion, however we are hard up and have offerered him an amazing contract, which shows how much he is regarded at Cardiff.

I am also assuming if he goes to you that one or two of your fringe players ( Griffin) will be coming to Tiger Bay ?

At the early stages of this deal many thought we were offering you Griffin and Michael Tonge,Griff is going Reading we are led to believe.Also heard we have tried to avoid a tribunal by offering Dave Kitson but Jones was not interested.
Nice to have a decent conversation without it all getting silly,we all know the history between our clubs.
I'm off to the gym for a few hours,but i will post any new news i hear from this end.

:thumbup: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:16 pm

He'll most prob be back in the championship after next season with you anyway. ;)

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:57 am

Morning Lads,

Just browsing the morning papers and the ScottishSun (sorry can't do links) are reporting that Ledley will move to Stoke after the 2 clubs have agreed a fee of £2.5 million.They also say WBA have offered that fee aswell.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:59 am

wow

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:27 am

I think one of the reasons Pulis was drawn to him was simply because he was Welsh.

Ledley is a quality player, but had a lot of problems with his hips this year, hence missing a lot of first team football. Nearing the end of the season, he started to show form again, and to be fair to him, is easily a premiership standard player.

He really is a missing link to a team. He sometimes doesn't look it, but he's great whilst attacking and great whilst defending, and provides a well needed flare in the team.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:30 am

Just noticed Walesonline are running with this story now.Our local paper The Sentinel are running with it again this morning.Sorry can't do a link to either.The general feeling is that he will have his medical tomorrow and sign,but would not be suprised if it happened later today.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:16 am

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... port/spl/3 034007/Id-love-to-be-a-Celt-honest.html :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:17 am

Sorry to see joe go .but if it gives us funds for player then bye joe and good luck :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:42 am

Like Annis i will be sorry to see Joe go when fully fit he always give City 100% and i feel the best of him maybe yet to come which will be good for Wales. He deserves his chance and if it is with Stoke then i wish him every success and hope he does well. Just hope we get decent a decent fee or compensation so that we can strengthen midfield where we are desperately short of cover.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 pm

He will be missed at Cardiff, he has been a good servant to the club but you can understand him wanting to try his hand at the top level. He did have almost a whole season at left back about 3 years ago but in my opinion not his best position. The only problem I can see with him in the premiership is his lack of pace. If he goes then good luck to him and lets hope he does well

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Evening Folks,

It is now believed that Ledley has had his medical at Stoke.Their are many who think he will not sign the contract until Thursday morning when he techinically becomes a free agent.Some think this could be to a loyalty bonus he will recieve from Cardiff if he does not leave you whilst in contract with you,until midnight June 30th 2010.Don't know if any truth in it.Seems to be conflicting reports surrounding the fee,nobody sems to know if a fee has been agreed or a tribunal will be needed.Also been told SCFC are trying to sort accomadation for Joe half way between Cardiff and S-O-T.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:19 pm

victoriaboothen wrote:Evening Folks,

It is now believed that Ledley has had his medical at Stoke.Their are many who think he will not sign the contract until Thursday morning when he techinically becomes a free agent.Some think this could be to a loyalty bonus he will recieve from Cardiff if he does not leave you whilst in contract with you,until midnight June 30th 2010.Don't know if any truth in it.Seems to be conflicting reports surrounding the fee,nobody sems to know if a fee has been agreed or a tribunal will be needed.Also been told SCFC are trying to sort accomadation for Joe half way between Cardiff and S-O-T.

Thanks for keeping us updates :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Youve got a good one there.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:31 pm

Not too disheartened to see Joe leave, that Wembley goal will cement him in City folklore forever but I was at Barnsley last season and that was all the evidence I needed to know he's done here.

He'll give etherington a tough time, mark my words. Whether he'll be in the Premiership for more than 2 seasons is another matter altogether.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:32 pm

victoriaboothen wrote:Evening Folks,

My sister leaves on a council estate in Telford he can with her if he wants.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:52 pm

i'm gutted to see him go, i thought when he came back from injury he was our best player overall. tbh though i'm just glad all the speculation is over and we can get on with getting a replacement in

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:07 pm

victoriaboothen wrote:Stoke fan in peace,
Our local paper are reporting that Joe Ledley is joining us,possibly before the end of this week.Our boss Pulis has got back to work today after his summer break and is now closing in on Ledley who is said to be keen on playing for Pulis.
I've also checked out a few Stoke forums and they are all running with the story.
Just like to add that The Sentinel never run a story without being confident of what they are reporting.Any news from your end?

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sp ... ticle.html

With James Beattie coming the other way................