Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

steve borley and the house of sport

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:07 pm

i see annis's thread about steve borleys role in the club and feel the need to reply as to why i think other employee's and directors need to shoulder some of the burden.

steve borley is currently getting the house of sport up out of the ground and its taking up a lot of his time
i am not sure if people are aware of this but if we cannot show the project is being developed by the end of august cardiff city will lose its academy status and the the chance of attracting better youngsters into the club.
The malaysians will also be using the academy to send the finest young prospects from their country over with the option of cardiff having first choice on any potential first team players.

steve borley also has to run his own business as well during what are tough times for the construction industry.
Gethin was interviewed and brought in by people other than steve. Gethin along with Dave jones should be quite capable of dealing with players and their agents.
after all dave jones has his list and the malaysians have given him a budget with which to bring those players in.
there is a limit to what will be paid for by the malaysians for certain players so the negotiations should be fairly straightforward
the player either wants to come to the club for the deal in front of him or he does what most players do this time of the year and hang it out hoping a better offer comes along.

either way i think jones is getting an enourmous amount of money and must surely have more contacts in the game than anyone else at the club including steve borley.
He in my opinion should be taking the lead in bringing players to the club and then the finer contract details concluded by gethin.
It would seem to me that to many people down the club want to sit back on their backsides and let steve borley do their job for them.
Quite simple to me really if gethin cannot carry out the duties he was employed for then the club has to bite the bullet and admit they have made a mistake and bring someone in who can.

Link viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16521

Re: steve borley and the house of sport

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:10 pm

well said matey :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Steve,
I totally agree with you, the wage Dave Jones is on he now needs to work more for it and hopefully will do. He now has to work with Jenkins who has never done a football contract in his life before. We will have to wait and see, I am not being negative, but My Honest STRAIGHT TALKING OPINION, IT WONT and CANT WORK and Jenkins will not last the season, My Opinion.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Steve,
I totally agree with you, the wage Dave Jones is on he now needs to work more for it and hopefully will do. He now has to work with Jenkins who has never done a football contract in his life before. We will have to wait and see, I am not being negative, but My Honest STRAIGHT TALKING OPINION, IT WONT and CANT WORK and Jenkins will not last the season, My Opinion.

Don't forget Whitely, he's a top lawyer with his own Company of Solicitors.

Surely he can help when it comes to contracts.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:14 pm

steve davies wrote:i see annis's thread about steve borleys role in the club and feel the need to reply as to why i think other employee's and directors need to shoulder some of the burden.

steve borley is currently getting the house of sport up out of the ground and its taking up a lot of his time
i am not sure if people are aware of this but if we cannot show the project is being developed by the end of august cardiff city will lose its academy status and the the chance of attracting better youngsters into the club.
The malaysians will also be using the academy to send the finest young prospects from their country over with the option of cardiff having first choice on any potential first team players.

steve borley also has to run his own business as well during what are tough times for the construction industry.
Gethin was interviewed and brought in by people other than steve. Gethin along with Dave jones should be quite capable of dealing with players and their agents.
after all dave jones has his list and the malaysians have given him a budget with which to bring those players in.
there is a limit to what will be paid for by the malaysians for certain players so the negotiations should be fairly straightforward
the player either wants to come to the club for the deal in front of him or he does what most players do this time of the year and hang it out hoping a better offer comes along.

either way i think jones is getting an enourmous amount of money and must surely have more contacts in the game than anyone else at the club including steve borley.
He in my opinion should be taking the lead in bringing players to the club and then the finer contract details concluded by gethin.
It would seem to me that to many people down the club want to sit back on their backsides and let steve borley do their job for them.
Quite simple to me really if gethin cannot carry out the duties he was employed for then the club has to bite the bullet and admit they have made a mistake and bring someone in who can.

Steve

I was aware of the impotance of the deadlines for the House of Sport and the impact on the Academy and I am sure most people appreciate the amount of time Steve has to divert away from his main businesses to make it happen.

I know you have disagreed with me in the past about having a bit of a dig at PMG to get the Malaysian investment finalised , but have they been helping out at all with the work burden. (I still don`t undersatnd why the club haven`t taken up the option of them writing off another £2.7m of their debt by a conversion into shares).

Do you really think Gethin Jenkins is not doing the job he was brought in to do , or do you think that (other than the new keeper) Dave Jones has not yet brought forward any of his targets to detailed contract stage?.

Keith

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:18 pm

He must have done at least one or we wouldn`t have a new goalkeeper :D

Most football contracts are not that different to rugby ones that he will have done loads of , and he also has all the ones the club did from previous seasons to use as a guideline.

And all the legal side of things could and should be done by Alan Whiteley.

Keith

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:20 pm

since62 wrote:

He must have done at least one or we wouldn`t have a new goalkeeper :D

Most football contracts are not that different to rugby ones that he will have done loads of , and he also has all the ones the club did from previous seasons to use as a guideline.

And all the legal side of things could and should be done by Alan Whiteley.

Keith

If bloody Huw Jenkins can manage it surely its not that hard ! :lol:

I'd also bet that Ridsdale had soemone helping him out too. Don't clubs use agents for this anyway ?

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Did Alan Whiely arrange Jimmy Floyd's water tight contract as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:03 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Did Alan Whiely arrange Jimmy Floyd's water tight contract as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That contract cost Cardiff City Over £300,000 in a pay off.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:11 pm

Gethin Jenkins.
I personally think he has been put there to look after Paul Guy/Mike Hall and Whitleys investments, I know he got interviewed by TG, but they only put one man forward Gethin Jenkins lol.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:19 pm

steve davies wrote:i see annis's thread about steve borleys role in the club and feel the need to reply as to why i think other employee's and directors need to shoulder some of the burden.

Steve who will take the academy status off the club ?

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:35 pm

The FA can I think.

An academy needs Indoor & Outdoor training facilities, amongst other things such as educational facilities etc.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:39 pm

carlccfc wrote:

Link viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16521]

Carl

it will be the football league because at the moment we are based at treforest only the wru has bought the land and office space off treforest and are kicking us out by september.
therefore the house of sport is the new base for the academy

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:41 pm

steve davies wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Link viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16521]

Carl

it will be the football league because at the moment we are based at treforest only the wru has bought the land and office space off treforest and are kicking us out by september.
therefore the house of sport is the new base for the academy

Thank you but I would have thought that the Vale would have been an option to use.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:43 pm

now now carl

we cant have the acadamy boys disturbing the prima donna's now can we.

seriously though the acadamy must have classroom spaces for teaching, as the stadium has those facilities it makes the hos ideal

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:48 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Thank you but I would have thought that the Vale would have been an option to use.

I think money is the problem again with this option!

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:Did Alan Whiely arrange Jimmy Floyd's water tight contract as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

well over

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:37 pm

TheMortgageAdvisor wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

well over

700k i heard

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:53 pm

well over[/quote]
700k i heard[/quote]

yep, with his nice house in Cyncoed

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:01 pm

i know , people like to kiss steve borleys ass, but this is a money venture , that will cost city in the end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,remember money people dont do anything for nothing :roll:

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

The original contract was fine. It was Ridsdale`s attempt to vary it without written confirmation which was the costly error.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Where the academy play at treforest I thought was owned by the universaty of glamorgan, not the WRU.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:22 am

nantgarwblue wrote:Where the academy play at treforest I thought was owned by the universaty of glamorgan, not the WRU.

Yes it is the Uni of Glam.
I'm sorry but I don't see how in the hell Academy status could be held over the existance of the house of sport. For a start the Academy has been around long before the house of sport was even thought of.
The requirements of academy status are as much to do with administration as facilities such as teaching, medical and all the other stuff. As for training facilities they could easily do exactly as the first team has done and hire a training facility.**
Why not share the hired facility at the Vale? There's room for them there if need be.

For sure any talk of the academy being at risk due to there not being a house of sport is complete bollocks.

Footnote ** If Sam had still been here then the training facility would have been owned rather then rented. :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:06 am

nantgarwblue wrote:Where the academy play at treforest I thought was owned by the universaty of glamorgan, not the WRU.

they have sold it to the wru who will let the university use the facilities
cardiffs acadamy have been told they can no longer use it

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:11 am

TheOutsider wrote:

Yes it is the Uni of Glam.
I'm sorry but I don't see how in the hell Academy status could be held over the existance of the house of sport. For a start the Academy has been around long before the house of sport was even thought of.
The requirements of academy status are as much to do with administration as facilities such as teaching, medical and all the other stuff. As for training facilities they could easily do exactly as the first team has done and hire a training facility.**
Why not share the hired facility at the Vale? There's room for them there if need be.

For sure any talk of the academy being at risk due to there not being a house of sport is complete bollocks.

Footnote ** If Sam had still been here then the training facility would have been owned rather then rented. :ayatollah:

i was about to answer this and also add that the club also has a legal obligation to the council to complete the house of sport this calender year and the i saw your footnote which with all due respect is utter bollocks.
he would have sold the facilities on black friday

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:15 am

ninianblue wrote:i know , people like to kiss steve borleys ass, but this is a money venture , that will cost city in the end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,remember money people dont do anything for nothing :roll:

ninian steve borley at the egm asked anybody if they wanted to join him in this venture(annis will confirm this)and all the so called money men declined.
it is nothing more than a leisure centre with football pitches
have a look at the council accounts one of the worst performing areas is their lesiure facilities.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:39 am

steve davies wrote:
ninianblue wrote:i know , people like to kiss steve borleys ass, but this is a money venture , that will cost city in the end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,remember money people dont do anything for nothing :roll:

ninian steve borley at the egm asked anybody if they wanted to join him in this venture(annis will confirm this)and all the so called money men declined.
it is nothing more than a leisure centre with football pitches
have a look at the council accounts one of the worst performing areas is their lesiure facilities.

I believe the club have right to buy the house of sport off Steve Borley if and when they can afford too or wish too for that matter and I believe they can do so at cost also. I would imagine there is a timeframe on such a buy back and I would imagine it would be no longer than a couple of years from completion.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 pm

carlccfc wrote:I believe the club have right to buy the house of sport off Steve Borley if and when they can afford too or wish too for that matter and I believe they can do so at cost also. I would imagine there is a timeframe on such a buy back and I would imagine it would be no longer than a couple of years from completion.

The club has an agreement with Borley Engineering Services Ltd to purchase the House of Sport at build cost within a period of twelve to eighteen months following practical completion of the facility.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:11 pm

The Lone Gunman wrote:
carlccfc wrote:I believe the club have right to buy the house of sport off Steve Borley if and when they can afford too or wish too for that matter and I believe they can do so at cost also. I would imagine there is a timeframe on such a buy back and I would imagine it would be no longer than a couple of years from completion.

The club has an agreement with Borley Engineering Services Ltd to purchase the House of Sport at build cost within a period of twelve to eighteen months following practical completion of the facility.

Thought so Dave, cheers.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:21 pm

carlccfc wrote:Thought so Dave, cheers.

Sorry Carl, I should have added that the detaisl I mentioned are what Alan Whiteley told the shareholders at the February General Meeting, and Steve Borley was sitting next to him at the time so I presume the information is correct!