Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City cult heroes...

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 pm

We've had a number down the years...

Eddie Johnson - largely because he started off shit and frankly continued to be shit, although through sheer effort,enthusiasm and downright likeability it's fair to say he won us over and became a cult figure.

Phil Stant - Now he could play and with his military background, tattoos, badge kissing and his chosen choice of residence... a caravan in Barry ! he quickly became a cult figure too.

We've had loads at CCFC, who are your favourites ?

Re: Cardiff City cult heroes...

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:04 pm

surely a toss up between lethal lynex or robin friday :lol:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:15 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:surely a toss up between lethal lynex or robin friday :lol:

Robin Friday is probably the ultimate cult figure tbf.

The great Harry Parsons had loads of great stories about Friday, not least showing him around a club house when he first moved to Cardiff and Robin Friday nicking the cutlery !!

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:19 pm

peg legg and franky true city legands. :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Robin Friday was a cult unto himself - what a f*cking awesome character he seems to have been. But , Stanty has gotta be my fave , f*cking awesome - Falklands soldier , 100% committed player , he never did anything by half measures

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Leo for me what he lacked in ability he made up with in determination with a touch of comedy thrown into the equation.

Defenders hated playing against him that for sure.

Leo do the Leo :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:37 pm

bluebirds80 wrote:Leo for me what he lacked in ability he made up with in determination with a touch of comedy thrown into the equation.

Defenders hated playing against him that for sure.

Leo do the Leo :ayatollah:

Crew away fa cup frozen field. It was comedy gold

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Chris pike :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:55 pm

mrs harry ramsgate wrote:peg legg and franky true city legands. :ayatollah:

What ever happened to Peg legg?? I remember him late 70's early 80's.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Franky`s still about, not sure about Pegleg.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:27 pm

John Bowens brotherj wrote:Franky`s still about, not sure about Pegleg.

peggy killed himself and his children in a garage in abertridwr some years ago a real tragedy

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:32 pm

steve davies wrote:
John Bowens brotherj wrote:Franky`s still about, not sure about Pegleg.

peggy killed himself and his children in a garage in abertridwr some years ago a real tragedy

Thats terrible & sad, i wish i haden't asked. God bless them.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:43 pm

my favourite cult figures have to be Phil " Joe " Dwyer and the late great Robin Friday , these 2 guys were my heroes for CCFC when I was a teenage boy and the Club needs to do more to recognize them too :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:58 pm

Jeff eckhardt & gareth stoker

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:56 am

Robin Friday.R-I-P.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:08 am

Martyn1963 wrote:my favourite cult figures have to be Phil " Joe " Dwyer and the late great Robin Friday , these 2 guys were my heroes for CCFC when I was a teenage boy and the Club needs to do more to recognize them too :ayatollah:

More to recognise Robin Friday? you're having a laff!

His great days were with Reading. His time with Cardiff was just a small blip on what was a wasted career.

Good player? maybe....but hardly during his time with City!

As for Dwyer......Legend!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:10 am

Mine was Warren Feeney, but DJ never let him play :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:19 am

More to recognise Robin Friday? you're having a laff!

His great days were with Reading. His time with Cardiff was just a small blip on what was a wasted career.

Good player? maybe....but hardly during his time with City!

so apart from Fred Keenor with the FA Cup whats the most widely used CCFC player pic ever then ?? Plus how many other CCFC players have been on the front of an album cover ?? I said the club should do more to recognize ALL players and besides Robin Friday is more well known then Freddie Pethard , Albert Larmour , Keith Pontin etc

Anyway the topic is aimed at personal heroes and cult figures .............. so yes Joe is my number 1 and Friday number 2 . His debut match was meant to be another appearance by another hero of mine but seeing as it was Boxing Day u wont expect George Best to appear would u ?? Plus how many people know that Friday grabbed Bobby Moore's bollox the same way that Vinny Jones did to Gazza ............. :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:26 am

Apart from thiose already mentioned my 3 are Tony Villars - Paul Went (he had the biggest thighs I have ever seen and could whack a ball) and of course Steve Grapes.

The Bennetts made an impact Kav, Earnie and Thorney from that era. Andy Legg

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:34 am

Robin Friday - legend