Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"HIGHEST PAID MANAGER IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP"

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:33 pm

I Would GUARANTEE its "DAVE JONES" £760,000 a Year(Approx) Plus Bonus, So forget Rubbish Newspaper Reports He is Def Not going to another Championship Club, He has managed to keep his wage for Next season ONLY. The Only way I see him leaving would be if We Went Bust.

Is He Worth His Money ? OPINIONS PLEASE

Re: "HIGHEST PAID MANAGER IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP"

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:37 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I Would GUARANTEE its "DAVE JONES" £760,000 a Year(Approx) Plus Bonus, So forget Rubbish Newspaper Reports He is Def Not going to another Championship Club, He has managed to keep his wage for Next season ONLY. The Only way I see him leaving would be if We Went Bust.

No he is not worth that much money.

How has he managed to keep his wage then Annis?

:ayatollah:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:38 pm

NOT WORTH HALF OF THAT, I SHOULD BE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEW SEASON BUT CARN'T, AS LONG AS HES MANAGER WE WILL ONLY GO BACKWARDS!! TG's first mistake. i know we've been through this so many times but got no faith in the man
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :(

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:40 pm

chippy909 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I Would GUARANTEE its "DAVE JONES" £760,000 a Year(Approx) Plus Bonus, So forget Rubbish Newspaper Reports He is Def Not going to another Championship Club, He has managed to keep his wage for Next season ONLY. The Only way I see him leaving would be if We Went Bust.

No he is not worth that much money.

How has he managed to keep his wage then Annis?

:ayatollah:

Because it is in Black and White in his Contract made by THE RIDDLER and there is Nothing The Malaysians could do about it.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:41 pm

He's a good manager but dont personally think he is worth £760.000....... but if he can get us up next season automatically then its a small price to pay :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Dai when have we gone backwards with him? He's always improved year on year yes we didn't go up last year but everyone jumped on the bandwagon when he was doing well bar Annis.

This is one thing that annoys me about his salary if someone offered you that much and you thought you weren't worth that would you turn it down? I think not so this isn't Dave Jones' problem this is Ridsdale/Flitcrofts fault

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:48 pm

danny_price wrote:Dai when have we gone backwards with him? He's always improved year on year yes we didn't go up last year but everyone jumped on the bandwagon when he was doing well bar Annis.

This is one thing that annoys me about his salary if someone offered you that much and you thought you weren't worth that would you turn it down? I think not so this isn't Dave Jones' problem this is Ridsdale/Flitcrofts fault

I stand by This and Have now said the same for Over 3 years,I Dont Rate him or like him Sorry.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:52 pm

Personally i would like to see him and the players on lower basic wages but with decent bonuses for goals scored, clean shoots and promotion.

That way then that might want to fight for the cause a bit more

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Dobbin wrote:Personally i would like to see him and the players on lower basic wages but with decent bonuses for goals scored, clean shoots and promotion.

Dobbins Spot on :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Going nowhere under jones.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:09 pm

we have improved every year under him.
if we dont go up this year then he has to go.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:15 pm

cefnblue wrote:we have improved every year under him.
if we dont go up this year then he has to go.

We have improved but we did not turn up at Wembley - say he had been on lower basic but huuuge rewards for going up - do you think he would have made the decisions he did NO with Bothroyd and Etuhu I certainly would not have - Again if the players had been incentivised with chopra have scored more goals yes I believe he would have -

The only problem I see is with the rolling contract just how do we get out of it without paying him a years salary and there will be no natural end ??

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:51 pm

If we were playing Premiership football next season there would be a strong argument for his very large salary, but we are not, & on that basis no, its far to high for the Championship. But we have not got to look far as to the reason[s] why he is on such a lucrative salary, Peter Ridsdale {Father Xmas] is the reason, as a reward for backing him in September 2006 when Sam was ousted. PR made sure DJ was rewarded well, very well, giving him a fat cat of a contract at the end of a season that we looked like running away with, but ultimatly fizzled out to mid table obscurity. Never has rewarding poor performance been more apparent!

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Does my head in when people say we have improved. A manager who is on premier wages plus has had more money to spend than everyone else but one other well.....the minimum I would expect is an improvement.

Personally I dont think he can take us any further. I also think the Malaysians know this but are stuck with a £800k bill to get rid of him. Lets be honest DJ is a stubborn fellow and he will use that characteristic to keep his job unless something better comes up for him.

Well he has said he would consider going if he has to sell the players. Well he has basically been told that so lets se if he is a man of his word.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:16 pm

dai laffin wrote:NOT WORTH HALF OF THAT, I SHOULD BE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEW SEASON BUT CARN'T, AS LONG AS HES MANAGER WE WILL ONLY GO BACKWARDS!!

Based on what? So far he's improved pretty much year by year has he not?

I'm not his biggest fan, but at the same time this suggestion that he is not the man to take us forward leads me to follow with the question.. Who are we to replace him with!?

As for the money he's being paid, of course he doesn't. But at the same time, based out of the championship managers left from last season he was the best according to the league table.

We always as fans want the best but people seem very blinkered on times.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:22 pm

I don't think people are questioning his managerial qualities Dan, just the fact that he is on a massive salary for this division, and a contract to match. We have just paid the tax man £1.9 million,,,, i doubt if we pay half that much for new players between now & the start of the season.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:54 pm

It worries me how much money he's on.

He's obviously not in love with this club, certainly he's not in love with the
supporters. So where's his motivation to do well here? Nobody is going to
pay him more money in this division and he's not really fancied at Premiership
level.

I'm assuming his contract will have been adjusted in such a way that if he's not
done the business by the end of next season then he's off!

If he does f**k up, he's still earned another £800,000.

If he sticks with McPhail and Hudson this season then I'll know he's not going to
change his ways. The team are not going to change, we will not have the stomach
for a battle

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:05 pm

taffyapple wrote:It worries me how much money he's on.

He's obviously not in love with this club, certainly he's not in love with the
supporters. So where's his motivation to do well here? Nobody is going to
pay him more money in this division and he's not really fancied at Premiership
level.

I'm assuming his contract will have been adjusted in such a way that if he's not
done the business by the end of next season then he's off!

If he does f**k up, he's still earned another £800,000.

If he sticks with McPhail and Hudson this season then I'll know he's not going to
change his ways. The team are not going to change, we will not have the stomach
for a battle

Interesting points there, this could be his last season with us [?] Will he take the money & walk in twelve months time or be a legend???? Interesting.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:32 pm

before i make a comment, i have a question

what IS the average wage for a manager in the championship ?

if not an average, some examples of what other managers get

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:37 pm

I was told that Sousa at Swansea is on £ 150.000-£200.000 a year, Ian Holloway on less than that.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:42 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:I was told that Sousa at Swansea is on £ 150.000-£200.000 a year, Ian Holloway on less than that.

Not far off Rick although I think it is a little bit more. Makes you wonder though does it not?

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:49 pm

Dobbin wrote:Personally i would like to see him and the players on lower basic wages but with decent bonuses for goals scored, clean shoots and promotion.

What better way is there to get the best out of players with ambition. If they don't perform they know where the door is.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Does my head in when people say we have improved. A manager who is on premier wages plus has had more money to spend than everyone else but one other well.....the minimum I would expect is an improvement.

Personally I dont think he can take us any further. I also think the Malaysians know this but are stuck with a £800k bill to get rid of him. Lets be honest DJ is a stubborn fellow and he will use that characteristic to keep his job unless something better comes up for him.

Well he has said he would consider going if he has to sell the players. Well he has basically been told that so lets se if he is a man of his word.

Ian I am with you all the way on this.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:13 pm

so is he still on a rolling contract or just a run of the mill 12 month contract?

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Honestly i dont think DJ has it in him to get us promoted.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 pm

wether im being worn down by annis and his dislike for the bloke :D
or
the more i here the more i want him to go, :o
im not sure

but it does see a large sum of money just based on the two other examples,
and if it is the case
NO he's not worth that money
but as mentioned hes not gonna go anywhere either is he,

win or lose hes putting that in the bank. :(

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:41 pm

to me he cocked up two of the biggest games in the clubs history
not to play ramsey in the cup final and go with jimmy was criminal and leaving gerrard out and using etuhu before McCormack cost us the play off final.
no plan b and only like for like substitutions is a big weakness

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:42 pm

I rate Jones myself and I wouldnt swap him for many other championship managers but I do agree his wage is to high.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:12 pm

It would seam reasonable that the new regime at CCFC have given DJ twelve months notice of termination of a rolling contract for something a lot less, but with greater win bonuse's & promotion incentives. I would of thought that was the most prudent thing to do.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:31 pm

no plan b and only like for like substitutions is a big weakness[/quote]

So despite your statement above, we reached the play off final.

We had an injury list longer than the mersey tunnel, probably the smallest or one of the smallest squads in the Championship, the threat of admin or worse, a CEO that was bleeding the club dry, a transfer embargo that prevented Jonesy bringing in any loans etc (the only team in the Championship that didn't bring in squad cover)..plus a manager that has no plan B and only makes like for like substitutions, but still we reached the Play Off Final.

So with a different manager, some good luck on the injury front, a slightly larger squad, some transfer activity in January, and a sensible CEO that tells the truth and doesn't line his own pockets to the detriment of the club we would no doubt be in the Prem now..Is that what your implying??

Jonesy is not worth the salary that he's being paid, but IMO no manager is worth that kind of money! It would take me about 35 years to earn that kind of money, But IMO he did a good job for us last season under difficult circumstances, either that or the players put in a momentus effort under the same difficult circumstances..but then again it's Jonesy's team isn't it, so he would have to take credit either way.