Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Leon Britton

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:24 am

Hyped by Jacks as a legend, a Prem player... Spanish waiter lined up to recruit him for Wigan...

"Britton told the club’s official website, www.sufc.co.uk: “There was interest from the Premier League and I spoke to a couple of people there but it wasn’t right for me – but Sheffield United was.

“First and foremost this is a massive club.

“I was here with Swansea for the penultimate one and the special atmosphere from that day is still fresh in my mind.”"

So, with my naturally highly toned cynicism and logic, let's look at this.

The dwarf spoke to Prem clubs but decided Sheff Utd, a mid table Championship team, in a state of flux at the moment, were a better option than playing at the top level of British football or indeed, staying at Swansea, a team higher up in the Championship.

Which naturally leads me to several conclusions.

a) There was no serious Prem interest.
b) Players aren't happy at Swansea despite the claims to the contrary.
c) If there was Prem interst, he was no doubt pissed off at being on the bench at best.
d) Swansea players are indeed overrated.
e) Huw the Spew is a congenital idiot for letting a contract wind down - indeed, have had no talks yet with Pratley, who is entering the final year of his contract, another one who could go.
f) Jacks couldn't even sell Britton to make any money out of it.

The wheels on the caravan are falling off... but hey, they are financially stable. Unlike Huw's company...

Re: Leon Britton

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:05 am

Hopefully its the start of things to come, they havent got the cash to compete against over teams for wages, they only get crowds of 14k at the council owned stadium, hopefully Prately, Williams, De vries & Rangel will foloow Britton in leaving, can see them struggling next year! :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:11 am

Just watched the interview on the Player on Sheffield Uniteds website, he seems glad to get away from there. He mentioned crowd size at bramall lane being a big thing, leaders in the team and the club itself and wanted a challenge

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:42 am

Swansea have had a terrific run over the last 5 years resulting in them just missing out of the play offs. There is a buzz around the Liberty and has been built up on this success. However next season I fear for them as I think its going to be more of a fizz.

The departure of Martinez was a cruel blow to the Jacks. He brought in good footballers and built an entertaining team to watch. They scored goals and passed the ball around the park very nicely. Another season under Martinez and I'm convinced they would have been at least in the play offs.

Leon enjoyed playing under Martinez and for Swansea but it looks like this has changed since the arrival of Sousa. Under Sousa Swansea play the most boring football in the league. If it was not for the fact they were challenging for a play off spot I'm pretty sure their attendances would have dropped. sousa got the results but it must have been hard work watching it for the fans. I just wonder how many of their players would go if there was interest in them.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:49 am

Britton quoted the other week that he wanted a move closer to London where his family is, perhaps he should invest in a decent Sat-Nav.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:15 am

Blackwell has been quoted saying 'Britton is the best midfielder in this divsion over the past 2 seasons'

He's one deluded cock, and it doesnt matter who they sign, as long as Blackwell is manager they'll continue to be perennial under-achievers.

Britton wasnt even the best midfielder in Swansea ,(Prately, Orlandi, Allen, Gomes, all better) let alone the likes of Adam, Nolan, Dorrens, McKenna, Sigursddson, Ambrose,....even Ledley, Whittingham and McPhail are better.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:41 am

My thoughts on Leon is that he is one of those players that when he does not play in the starting 11 it's noticeable. Much like Joe Ledley in the regard that he is a team player. When he plays the tempo does increase and he helps out Pratley a lot, last season when he was out Pratley's performance dipped a little as he was trying to do too much.
A fetcher and carrier who gave us 8 great years of service - a rarity in the modern game. I don't begrudge him leaving. It's a short career and you have to make as much as you can while you can.

As for letting contracts run down - I think it was the same situation with Joe Cole