Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DENYING OUR HISTORY

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Why deny history, my book does not glorify or condone hooliganism, in fact it shows that we the fans recognised we had a problem and new that if we wanted to progress as a club we would have to do something ourselves to change things.

I would often say that the way to reduce hoolganism was to make people feel a part of "THEIR" club and take some resposibility rather than maintain a them and us situation that had existed so many times before. In the days gone by the more restrictions or heavy handed we were treated the worse we would react.

Many people had the vision of the RAMS as drunken marauding hordes, well we never set out to change peoples drinking habits or life style, we are just fellow fans not the thought police.

What we tried to emphasise was that the vast majority of Cardiff fans didn't wake up on the morning of the match planning to have a punch up or riot, they did plan to have a good drink, so wasn't it better to facilitate that, keep everyone together, find them suitable pubs near the ground and limit the possibility of serious disorder, which was simple and worked well until after reducing the serious disorder instead of aknoweldging how far we'd come and help stop serious problems, it was then a case of O.K. we've stopped the problems so now we can stop the drinking.

Well do you think the situation at Chelsea will do us more harm than having a reputation for being a load of drunks (but friendly drunks if treated properly) Scottish fans are seen as in the main a load of drunks, but not seen as trouble makers unless provoked, is that such a bad thing.

Rather than deny our history, isn't it better to aknowledge it and show how far we have come, pretending it didn't happen doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=109865819060422 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Link here http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/

Re: DENYING OUR HISTORY

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Any democratic society that tries to forget, erase, or hide from its history & heritage is ultimatly destined to fail.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Gwyn I totally agree with you and I will continue to fight Gethin Jenkins about this. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Fantastic post Gwyn !!

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Gwyn I totally agree with you and I will continue to fight Gethin Jenkins about this. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Perhaps the overwhelming majority of supporters -there are 21,000 after all - have got a bit bored with hearing how wonderful those tosterone-charged days were.

You should all grow up a bit -just like the Club is trying to do.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:10 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Why deny history, my book does not glorify or condone hooliganism, in fact it shows that we the fans recognised we had a problem and new that if we wanted to progress as a club we would have to do something ourselves to change things.

I would often say that the way to reduce hoolganism was to make people feel a part of "THEIR" club and take some resposibility rather than maintain a them and us situation that had existed so many times before. In the days gone by the more restrictions or heavy handed we were treated the worse we would react.

Many people had the vision of the RAMS as drunken marauding hordes, well we never set out to change peoples drinking habits or life style, we are just fellow fans not the thought police.

What we tried to emphasise was that the vast majority of Cardiff fans didn't wake up on the morning of the match planning to have a punch up or riot, they did plan to have a good drink, so wasn't it better to facilitate that, keep everyone together, find them suitable pubs near the ground and limit the possibility of serious disorder, which was simple and worked well until after reducing the serious disorder instead of aknoweldging how far we'd come and help stop serious problems, it was then a case of O.K. we've stopped the problems so now we can stop the drinking.

Well do you think the situation at Chelsea will do us more harm than having a reputation for being a load of drunks (but friendly drunks if treated properly) Scottish fans are seen as in the main a load of drunks, but not seen as trouble makers unless provoked, is that such a bad thing.

Rather than deny our history, isn't it better to aknowledge it and show how far we have come, pretending it didn't happen doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

For what it is worth my opinion is Gethin Jenkins has introduced a panic measure in banning your book from the club shop. He knows the press are out to sniff a story and could sensationalise the fact that a book which describes clashes between rival fans is on sale through official sources.

I have read ‘Rise and Fall of the Valley RAMS’ and I agree it is not a book which glorifies hooliganism. It is everything you have just described, but unfortunately a wicked journalist could twist facts and make what he considers a ‘fair comment’ that a book written by someone who has admitted to taking part in ‘tear ups’ in the past shouldn’t be on sale at the club shop considering the recent events at Chelsea.

Of course if both sides came together and pre-empted the situation by promoting the book as an effort to curtail disorder in house, a sort of poacher turned gamekeeper scenario, then that could be excellent positive exposure for a club which is bound to have a difficult couple of weeks ahead considering the crime watch programme is coming up.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:13 pm

The Rams were great.

Organised buses to away games
Everyone had to be a member to travel (before this away membership by the club)
Worked with the club and the police
Police had gwyns number to contact to know where a high % of away fans were

What more do the club and police want. Its like the Rams were organising our own bubble trips, if you know what I mean.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:23 pm

reform reform!!! we need the Rams to reform!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Gwyn theres a plaque on a wall in Auschwitz saying "Those that deny history will be condemned to repeat it" thats something ill never forget from my visit there

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:36 pm

Perhaps the overwhelming majority of supporters -there are 21,000 after all - have got a bit bored with hearing how wonderful those tosterone-charged days were.

You should all grow up a bit -just like the Club is trying to do.

Perhaps they haven't if you consider how many people have viewed the you tube punch at Chelsea.

And I don't know how long you've been watching the City, but if you think the period when the Rams were in existence was the testosterone -charged days, what would you decrsibe the earlier years as then, because I witnessed more scarey and serious problems in one season during the seventies and eighties than the Rams period it total.

The testosterone_charged period as you described it saw a record reduction in arrest figures, and of those arrested the majority were for drink related issues raher than serious disorder.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:21 am

BigGwynram wrote:Why deny history, my book does not glorify or condone hooliganism, in fact it shows that we the fans recognised we had a problem and new that if we wanted to progress as a club we would have to do something ourselves to change things.