Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

you can choose two what would be your preference ?

You may select 1 option

View results

How would you prefer our Electricity to be generated poll

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:27 pm

COAL

Coal fired Power produce an awful lot of CO2 which for those that are concerned with global warming it has to be a bit of a no no. But Clean coal is far better and surely has a part to play.

OIL

Oil is very messy and also with emissions this is a concern to some, but overall Oil wont last forever.

Gas

Gas also wont last forever, There is a new station in West Wales and one in Avonmouth which what i heard uses more Gas in 1 year than the rest of the Country uses in 10. :o

NUCLEAR

My old trusted friend Nuclear :lol: when they were first built they wasn't designed with decommissioning in mind but for sure we are getting better at it and the new ones will be. The new stations will be able to produce around 2500 MW which is massive.It is relatively clean with only limited CO2 emissions, The new stations are getting a lot smaller but producing a lot more electricity which also produces less waste.

RENEWABLES

IE wind and solar, first wind these gigantic things produce a maximum efficiency of about 2.5 MWs but that's only if the wind blows and it blows at the right speed. As they go if the wind doesn't blow your lights don't glow if the wind blows to hard your lights wont glow. So for a start they have to be regulated and there's only one way that can happen they have to be connected to the national grid which means they receive electricity as well as sending out. Which for a start reduces there efficiency massively. The national grid cant handle wavering amounts of electricity it has to be stable and to the amount they require.
As you can tell i don't believe in them and they are defo not the answer in my opinion just a massive white elephant. The labour government new this that is why they were pushing for Nuclear because of its low emissions.
Solar well we've all seen the size of panel that is needed to make one road sign work !! and if you want it in your house the last time i looked would cost about 12 grand and by the time it paid for itself you'll need new ones anyway.

TIDAL

The Canadians use this a lot but what Ive heard is its not cracked up to what we think it is, but building the Severn barrage would be using new technology it would be very interesting and we should not rule it out as the amount of electricity generated would be massive. The down points is what it would do to the ecosystem and the archaeological history that would be lost forever. A lot of pluses but there is also a lot of negatives.

Re: How would you prefer our Electricity to be generated poll

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:29 pm

SORRY I DIDNT GIVE THE TWO OPTIONS AS I SAID WHAT A PLONKER !! :lol:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Why can't we all have solar panels and a little windmill on our roofs?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:34 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Why can't we all have solar panels and a little windmill on our roofs?

my brother will fit a solar panel for you, and you will never pay for hot water again.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:38 pm

How much is it now Rob ? say for a standard 4 bedroom detached house. And what is there life span as i haven't looked into it for some time and technology is getting better all the time.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:53 pm

I am a lefty but think nuclear power is a very safe option on the whole

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Sludge wrote:I am a lefty but think nuclear power is a very safe option on the whole

Sorry about the lengh in time replying Sludge but when i read you comment i was so shocked we agreed i fell over hit my head on the keypad was knocked unconcious and the wife had to bring me round. :lol: :lol:
WE AGREE :o :o :o :o :o :o
So how did you vote Sludge ?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Being Welsh I've gone for the mindless and patriotic option of coal! :ayatollah: