Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Charlie Austin

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 pm

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16568

Re: Charlie Austin

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:42 pm

we've got to keep chopra in my opinion 20 goal a season strikers are few and far between and signing austin would be a gamble he's unproven at this level, if tg wants a top 2 finish we've got to keep chops and bothroyd they are the best in the division.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:43 pm

the blue path wrote:we've got to keep chopra in my opinion 20 goal a season strikers are few and far between and signing austin would be a gamble he's unproven at this level, if tg wants a top 2 finish we've got to keep chops and bothroyd they are the best in the division.

Agree with that mate, but im sure if we are offered 4million or above for Chops we WILL sell him. :(

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:50 pm

selling a striker of chopra's quality to a championship rival could come back to bite us on the arse next may, and if we were to sign austin as his replacement wouldn't really be sending out a message of intent it wouldn't fill me with excitment, hopefully chopra will tell them he ain't going nowhere.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:55 pm

the blue path wrote:selling a striker of chopra's quality to a championship rival could come back to bite us on the arse next may, and if we were to sign austin as his replacement wouldn't really be sending out a message of intent it wouldn't fill me with excitment, hopefully chopra will tell them he ain't going nowhere.

Not saying I think it's a good thing, but if it frees up £4m for us to bring players in then maybe we could get the 4-5 we need to get the squad to challenge ?

Another thing to bear in mind is we probably still owe a fair bit to Sunderland - where is that going to come from ?

Its a tough decision for our new owners.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Full name Charlie Austin
Date of birth 5 July 1989 (1989-07-05) (age 20)
Place of birth Hungerford, England
Height 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Playing position Striker
Club information
Current club Swindon Town
Number 32
Youth career 1999–2004 Reading

Senior career
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2004–2006 Thatcham Town 59 (73)
2006–2007 Kintbury Rangers [1] 27 (20)
2007–2008 Hungerford Town [2] 30 (5)
2008–2009 Poole Town 43 (48)
2009– Swindon Town 33 (20)

Pretty impressive goal to appearance ration! Rather large forward, could be good cover for Jay, and scores!

goal from 30secs on - at Elland Rd. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLHqilFY ... re=related

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:56 pm

I've heard Austin can arf motor

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:04 pm

if he was for cover for jay i wouldn't mind at all but to replace chopra no thanks, chopra is quality in the championship and gets goals in the big games can't see the point in just recouping our money for him.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Austin is raw but has the ability to go all the way in the game - when he left Poole last year he proved he could make the step up to League one (he is similar but bigger than Kevin Phillips who made the similar step up)- He has bags of talent in abundance - is a natural finisher but completely different to Chops (having seen him play several times for Poole). Ross offers the replacement to Chops - In my mind Ross, Jay and Austin is a good trio (though we still need a nippy short strike to cover Ross we would have 2 target men) and we would have money to build a squad.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 pm

ross would have to improve a hell of a lot on last seasons form to get us into the top 2 i wouldn't want to rely on ross to be our main source of goals.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:39 pm

the blue path wrote:ross would have to improve a hell of a lot on last seasons form to get us into the top 2 i wouldn't want to rely on ross to be our main source of goals.

Would you have relied on Whittingham to be the main source instead?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Leon Best Newcastle striker is the target.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

no i wouldn't have relied on whittingham or any other midfielder to get the bulk of our goals merlin they tend not to be as prolific as strikers, i think thats what they do down swansea by playing one up front, and although whittingham as had an awesome season as far as goals are concerned i doubt very much he will ever have another season like it, hope i'm wrong though.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:10 pm

moonmouse wrote:Leon Best Newcastle striker is the target.

Good shout.

He hasnt had much of a look in up there and was the closest thing to Bothroyd in the division IMHO whilst at Coventry.