Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

STORIES OF STUART CABLE

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Stuart along with the rest of the steros were kids in the judo club I run in Cwmaman, he was as cheeky and mad as a ten year old as he was when he was 40. What you seen was what you got, there was no edge or fake side to Stuart.

I seen their first gig when they were kids and I just seen their last gig.I was with Stuart in his house Thursday, he gave me some signed drum sticks and a signed drum skin for my daughters cancer charity appeal, he was so helpful to everyone and would make himself available to so many good causes.

On one occasion ten years ago I was in Florida on my hols with the family and they were doing the final gig of their American tour at the Hard rock cafe auditorium in Orlando. We turned up and got to stand in the front with quite a few other Cardiff fans who I met in the arena. When they came on and started, half way through the first song I could see that Stuart had clocked me in the crowd and was mouthing to Kelly "Big Gwyn's by there" when the song finished Kelly stopped the singing came over to the end of the stage and said out loud "f**k me it's big Gwyn, what you doing here" he then went onto introduce me as their old(hey less of the old) Judo teacher from Cwmaman, it was a bit surreal and shy soul that I am, i was as red as Alex Ferguson's nose.

Two weeks later I was back home and called into the Ivy Bush where the Stereo's were having a drink just like the normal boys from the village that they were, except they were also mega rock stars.

Another time it was the Sunday morning after they had headlined the Glastonbury festival, they had come off the main stage at 11 or 12 pm, and yet at 10.50 am the next morning Stuart was outside the Rock inn in Aberaman waiting for Helen to open the pub.

And last one before I bore you, after they had done their gig as headline band at the V festival in reading, Stuart as always get's up to throw is sticks into the 150,000 strong audience and my son caught them, 150,000 people and a boy from the same street caught them, mad as f**k.

Stuart, if you watching, loads of us love you and are going to miss you, keep an eye on Beefy up there and know that we will all keep an eye on Cian for you. R.I.P. mucker.

Re: STORIES OF STUART CABLE

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Sincere sympathies to you Gwyn on the loss of someone you were clearly close to.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 pm

memories never fade gwyn , you will always have them mate. he will be missed by many fans.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:32 pm

i remember meeting him and the boys the day after they signed for virgin, they were on the way back to cwmaman after stopping off to buy a tourbus (i use the word tourbus loosly lol) they bought this bedford camper van off kula shaker in bristol (think it was kuls shaker) anyway i was in work pontypridd caravans, the boys came in in hysterics laughing and being noticable in a quiet shop, i aske dif i could help they said they had broke their bus and could we help, they wanted a fanlight so i pointed them in the direction of our stock, the bloke i worked with back the john streeter lived up in cwmaman (you may know im gwyn, in fact you probs now loads of my family :( ) he asked if i knew who they were, said no and went off to help. i went out to their bus (lol) had a look at it and found it ripped off they had looked around the bus when buying it and lifter up the fanlight, but forgot to put it down when they bought it. so you can imagin, they were coming up the m4 and lost the thing, dont really understand the full reason for the hysterics but they were great didnt stop laughing or joking. we got the bus fixed and they went on their way, it was only then than john told me who they were and where they had been, (london to sign up) thought well done lads hope you do well, and the rest they say is history

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:39 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Stuart along with the rest of the steros were kids in the judo club I run in Cwmaman, he was as cheeky and mad as a ten year old as he was when he was 40. What you seen was what you got, there was no edge or fake side to Stuart.

I seen their first gig when they were kids and I just seen their last gig.I was with Stuart in his house Thursday, he gave me some signed drum sticks and a signed drum skin for my daughters cancer charity appeal, he was so helpful to everyone and would make himself available to so many good causes.

On one occasion ten years ago I was in Florida on my hols with the family and they were doing the final gig of their American tour at the Hard rock cafe auditorium in Orlando. We turned up and got to stand in the front with quite a few other Cardiff fans who I met in the arena. When they came on and started, half way through the first song I could see that Stuart had clocked me in the crowd and was mouthing to Kelly "Big Gwyn's by there" when the song finished Kelly stopped the singing came over to the end of the stage and said out loud "f**k me it's big Gwyn, what you doing here" he then went onto introduce me as their old(hey less of the old) Judo teacher from Cwmaman, it was a bit surreal and shy soul that I am, i was as red as Alex Ferguson's nose.

Two weeks later I was back home and called into the Ivy Bush where the Stereo's were having a drink just like the normal boys from the village that they were, except they were also mega rock stars.

Another time it was the Sunday morning after they had headlined the Glastonbury festival, they had come off the main stage at 11 or 12 pm, and yet at 10.50 am the next morning Stuart was outside the Rock inn in Aberaman waiting for Helen to open the pub.

And last one before I bore you, after they had done their gig as headline band at the V festival in reading, Stuart as always get's up to throw is sticks into the 150,000 strong audience and my son caught them, 150,000 people and a boy from the same street caught them, mad as f**k.

Stuart, if you watching, loads of us love you and are going to miss you, keep an eye on Beefy up there and know that we will all keep an eye on Cian for you. R.I.P. mucker.

Gwyn its good of you to share you stories of Stuart with us all, such a sad loss and my sincere condolences go to you on your loss of a true friend.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Gwyn i loved reading your stories on Stuart he was a great charactor and will be sadly missed

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Gwyn Im so sorry to hear about the Loss of you close friend mate. Cant believe you came to me last thurs after seeing him and showed me the stuff he signed for you daughter. :(

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:59 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Stuart along with the rest of the steros were kids in the judo club I run in Cwmaman, he was as cheeky and mad as a ten year old as he was when he was 40. What you seen was what you got, there was no edge or fake side to Stuart.

Remember the incident in Florida very well Gwyn as i was there that night as well. Couldn't believe it when Kelly Jones shouted that out from the stage!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:26 pm

In my local, The Welsh Harp, the owner had to put a door behind the bar seperating the lounge and the bar because Cable's voice was so loud everyone in the lounge having Sunday lunches and coffees could hear him swearing! :lol:

The colonel as some of us knew him was just a man who took time to speak to his fans. Only the other day i gave him my doubler world cup stickers for his boy as he had started collecting them.

Such a genuine, warm and friendly man.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:41 pm

Good read Gwyn

RIP X

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:08 pm

R.I.P Stuart ,already missing you !!!!!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:11 pm

My best memories of Stu is from when I was living in Cwmaman and he lived 2 doors down with Nicola , he quite often used to practise drumming in his back bedroom on a Sunday afternoon which was great to listen to . Then one time he decided to sing too , not got a good singing voice as our Stu and I think he scared all the wildlife back up the mountain behind us :lol:

RIP mate :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 am

I'll always remember going to an album signing at Virgin Megastore in Cardiff around the time of the release of Performance and Coctails. So many people turned up so there were rumours going around that the band were going to have to leave after 2 hours... however at 4am they were still there signing away. Anyway... I finally got to get my album signed and felt the need to thank the guys for staying on later than scheduled. Stuart told me not to be stupid and that he should be thanking me for waiting so long! He seemed such a genuine guy and the stories on here seem to confirm it.

RIP Stuar Cable

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:50 am

It is so surreal. I was only talking and having a laugh with him on Friday evening at our mini rugby presentation. I had gotten to know him well over the past 3 years through our boys playing rugby and coaching Cian. It still hasn't sunk in. He was a one of a kind; his personality was infectious and would fill the room whenever he walked in. My heart goes out to Cian and the family and I'm well and truely gutted. Will never forget you mate; thanks for the memories.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Will never forget watching the Cardiff game against the Jacks with Stuart at the clubhouse of the holiday park we were staying on the kids rugby tour over Easter. He loved his sport and the Bluebirds. We had a right battle with the people at the site to get the game put on cause they'd advertised the Man City game.

And something that spoke volumes of the man was that during the same tour our kids played against Weymouth on the Sunday. After the games we went back to their clubhouse and they'd all buggered off and not put food on for the kids. We all went down to a pub on the front in Weymouth and Stu bought every kid food. I'll never forget his generosity. This is just one example of many; he was a true gentleman in an industry full of prima donnas. :ayatollah: