Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: LATEST NEWS ON CARDIFF CITY FC

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Carl, the relevant point for me is who is going to negotiate & deal with the player's agents [current & new]. I wondered who would fulfill this role after PR left.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Most released players’ contracts end on 31 July. Therefore we are still paying last seasons wage bill budget.
Its early days yet.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:54 pm

If they think we can get a top two spot without adding to the squad then they are way off but let's not forget either you sign big upfront fees or you look for Bosmans and pay out in wages. Jones has given a list of targets and we are led to believe they are going to back him. In the past we have made huge mistakes forking out transfer fees on rubbish. But with all the off the field savings we potentially have more to put on the budget for players wages. I think if it's widely advertised that there is money then agents and clubs start to take the piss.

I'm all for low key business dealings and I think that's their way, I mean when the takeover was happening we heard virtually nothing from TG and to me that's no bad thing.

Also I think there are plenty at the club with contacts. How about the manager and his staff for starters? Then there's the scouting system and our academy. Low key approach to business is often more successful than the flash Harry approach

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

RobbieS wrote:If they think we can get a top two spot without adding to the squad then they are way off but let's not forget either you sign big upfront fees or you look for Bosmans and pay out in wages. Jones has given a list of targets and we are led to believe they are going to back him. In the past we have made huge mistakes forking out transfer fees on rubbish. But with all the off the field savings we potentially have more to put on the budget for players wages. I think if it's widely advertised that there is money then agents and clubs start to take the piss.

I'm all for low key business dealings and I think that's their way, I mean when the takeover was happening we heard virtually nothing from TG and to me that's no bad thing.

Also I think there are plenty at the club with contacts. How about the manager and his staff for starters? Then there's the scouting system and our academy. Low key approach to business is often more successful than the flash Harry approach

Low key approach to business is often more successful than the flash Harry approach :ayatollah: 2 right.
Just ask the Burnley chairman.Whats his name any one know.?
Although they were relagated they are in the black.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:17 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:Carl, the relevant point for me is who is going to negotiate & deal with the player's agents [current & new]. I wondered who would fulfill this role after PR left.

Steve Borley is.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:Carl, the relevant point for me is who is going to negotiate & deal with the player's agents [current & new]. I wondered who would fulfill this role after PR left.

Steve Borley is.

What about the next fortnight while he is on holiday Annis? Definately be quiet won't it...... :?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Well We would be in trouble again Thanks to The Riddler, as he has already spent Our Money.

I believe that PR is responsible for much of what went wrong at the club in the last few years of his tenure, but we cannot blame him if the Malaysians fail to follow through with further investment AFTER he stood down. They are now in charge and fully aware of what money is needed to get us through the season.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Wayne S wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Well We would be in trouble again Thanks to The Riddler, as he has already spent Our Money.

I believe that PR is responsible for much of what went wrong at the club in the last few years of his tenure, but we cannot blame him if the Malaysians fail to follow through with further investment AFTER he stood down. They are now in charge and fully aware of what money is needed to get us through the season.

people should remember that ridsdales nickname amongst players and agents was father xmas.
with a reputation for paying players well over the odds for what they were originally looking for agents came activly looking to approach ridsdale about their players and not the other way around.
i know for a fact that the board thought that they were just paying 10k a week for fowler and then when the finer details of the contract were revealed it amounted to 25k a week as the actual figure.
we need to forget about ridsdale and his dealings because under him we were 5 days away from extinction.
If players want to come to cardiff at a wage thats acceptable to both parties they will deal with the tea lady if nessecary to get the deal done.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Welcome back Steve, How was Las Vegas ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Welcome back Steve, How was Las Vegas ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

amazing annis when she turned up at the restaurant and her family were there to greet her she cried for hours on and off
it was truly a magic moment in my life time and i quadrupled my brownie points to 1.5 which will be halved purely by coming back on this board tonight :lol:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi Carl ,
I mentioned the same thing about Ridsdale on Mike Morris site . Say what you will about him but he knew how to deal with agents .. This is extremley worrying and I forsee some good players being lost . :(

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:23 pm

taffyapple wrote:Hudsons got to go, and we could command a fee for him. Great news for the
programme sellers, we could use the money to build them a new shed. So we
definitely need to find a new Roger Johnson type figure.

Sell Mcphail, there's half a million there. he's a bottler who cant play when the
pressure's on and the boots start flying. Sell Whittingham, there's £2.5 million.
Im convinced Whittingham is going to prove a on season wonder and without his
goals he gives us f**k all!! Sell Ross.. another £1.5m. Adam Matthews we'd get £2.5m
for him. Ledley, who knows if we'll get anything? maybe a million?

Bellamy would nearly pay for himself with the extra season ticket sales and shirts etc, so we
would have realistically around eight million to spend on rebuilding

Players would be chomping at the bit to sign for Cardiff if we get Bellamy, theyd all want
to be part of the rollercoaster ride.

Two good defenders, three midfielders (cos i think Darcy could be brilliant in a holding role
next season).. a big feller to take the pressure off Jay.. Craig Bellamy all ready to fire on
all cylinders....if DJ cant get the right fellers in with eight million then he needs shooting!!!

I agree....Excellent post!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Have they given Dave Jones a transfer budget, regardless of how small or how big?

Or isit sell, and use that money?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:43 am

moz-dublin wrote:name a manager that never makes a mistake?

So you're suggesting all managers are equal. That's an excellent argument for getting rid of Jones and replacing him with one for one tenth of the money.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:48 am

I was under the impression DJ had given a list of player targets to TG/SB. Surely it is only a case of them contacting the relevant agents and enquiring if their clients would be willing to join Cardiff City FC? If they are then TG/SB thrash out terms and conditions, if they are not then they move onto the next name on the list.

Just why you would need a crooked usless tw*t like Ridsdale to facilitate that process whilst he pockets thousands of pounds for himself is totally beyond me :?

Infact if the people at CCS are having trouble understanding how to work their way through a list, I will do it for them and I won't charge a penny.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:44 am

Personally, i am not bothered that we aren't spenidng big on players. First of all there are a number of players available on free's at the mo, who could do well for us.

Secondly, i would rather us sort the mess our club is in first and then push on for promotion. The championship is a great league, I really love this league, and would be happy to stay here for a few years before we push on.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:02 am

"Leading football agents haven't recieved a single enquiry from Cardiff City about players" Basically we've wiped the slate clean and have a new CEO etc etc, people who are possibly a little bit wet behind the ears in player recruitment, let's hope then are fast learners.

I would like to think some sort of deal can be done to bring Bellamy to the City, he seems to be doing his best to help things along, not much happening at our end though by the sound of it.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 am

Whoever was responsible for signing Hudson should never be allowed to go within 100 ft of a deal!! Shocking signing at this level and he is the only Cardiff city player I'd like to stick one on!

I'm fine with not having massive signings...but think we should sell who ever it takes to get Bellamy...give Jones one more season then he has to go...

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 am

When you look at Manure with now a reported $1.1 BILLION :shock: debt and Fergie having sweet FA to deal with our position is not that different to most clubs.
As much as possible every one will want cash up front and transfer fees are only going one way from now on courtesy of Mr Platini and UEFA so we could pick up good players at a reasonable fee which overall DJ has been very good at (no one gets it right every time look at Benitez :lol: )

Finally our Malaysian owners have just bought a business and like any purchaser there is always a period of settling down and understanding how the business is run and should be run to (ultimately) generate a profit.

Look at Berjaya Holdings, very successful in Malaysia because it is run properly!! lets give these guys a chance

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:30 am

to me that was a post that alluded to some very good business thinking indeed. not the thinking of your typical emotive football fan which is the sort of thinking has got us where we are today. This type of thinking is realising that to grow the business you need to invest but invest in the right areas. football is a business and finally it seems as if we have people at the helm who will operate according to normal business rules.

I'm sure we will see an increase in the playing squad covering areas where we need cover. i also think that DJ will get more right this year than he gets wrong, simply because he is operating under normal circumstances for the first time in a long while.

As for the thing about agents, this has been built up to soemthing its not. Negotiation happens in any and every business, not just football. These Malaysians are very successful business people, you don't get that successful by being a bit naive on the negotiation front. furthermore, if SB is actually undertaking our negotiations, then i think he's best suited to match the expetations of the fans with the expectations of the baord. Previously PR simply wanted the high profile signings that made him look good to the long term detriment of the club. those days are gone, we're looking for less spectacular but far more stable spending 9other than Bellamy of course)

:mrgreen:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:36 am

Feedback wrote:to me that was a post that alluded to some very good business thinking indeed. not the thinking of your typical emotive football fan which is the sort of thinking has got us where we are today. This type of thinking is realising that to grow the business you need to invest but invest in the right areas. football is a business and finally it seems as if we have people at the helm who will operate according to normal business rules.

I'm sure we will see an increase in the playing squad covering areas where we need cover. i also think that DJ will get more right this year than he gets wrong, simply because he is operating under normal circumstances for the first time in a long while.

As for the thing about agents, this has been built up to soemthing its not. Negotiation happens in any and every business, not just football. These Malaysians are very successful business people, you don't get that successful by being a bit naive on the negotiation front. furthermore, if SB is actually undertaking our negotiations, then i think he's best suited to match the expetations of the fans with the expectations of the baord. Previously PR simply wanted the high profile signings that made him look good to the long term detriment of the club. those days are gone, we're looking for less spectacular but far more stable spending 9other than Bellamy of course)

:mrgreen:

Good points, especially regarding DJ getting it right, after all, he's got a new boss now.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:36 pm

I agree. I don't care if we don't spend much this year. Given how close we were to going into liquidation this year a couple of years financial consolidation is fine by me. I hope we can sneak a few cheeky cheap buys though and maintain our squad.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:18 pm

i don't think we need to spend a great deal anyway as long as we keep chopra and bothroyd bring in a few new faces in midfield not silly fees or wages and a new centre half we will be fine, rather than have a pipedream about signing bellamy i would prefer the club to release a statement saying chops and bothroyd are going nowhere, they are the best in the division and the strikeforce all our rivals envy :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:54 pm

carlccfc wrote:The latest news on our club is, depending on your expectations regarding the Malaysians, is both good and bad.

The good news is the money for the tax bill is sat in the club's bank account ready to pay HMRC. It has not been paid as yet, because quite simply there is no rush on us to pay it, also we are still under a transfer embargo but that does not stop us negotiating with other clubs, if need be, like we did with Man City regarding Bellamy.

More positive news is that the wages are in the bank to pay for the next few months during the close season. The club has made significant cuts in the office jobs and we have seen players released and some who are unlikely to challenge the first team will be moved on.

Craig Bellamy has asked Man City to pay his contract up to allow him to move to City, great news to hear but unlikely to happen.

The bad news would be that today I have learned, despite what TG said at the EGM ( about finishing top 2 ), we will not be buying any players for considerable fees, I know some will not want to hear this but this is how it is, it is believed that TG thinks the squad we have, with a few additions will be good enough to mount a challenge. That said it does not mean that we won't pay good money, but it is likely that DJ will only see a significant budget to spend, if he sells first. Again I must point out that the club are not looking to sell but if there were an offer of over £4million for arguements sake for Chopra then the club will accept, and unlike when PR was here, DJ will in fact receive every penny of the transfer.

The biggest worry for us should be though that there does'nt appear to be anybody at the club who knows how to deal with agents or have experience in dealing with players contracts etc. Steve Borley is going on his holidays tomorrow and I have been told that leading football agents have not received any enquiries from Cardiff City about any players. Now many may down me for saying this but this is a role that Peter Ridsdale could do well, if he had strict limitations on him, he has many contacts in the game but his financial dealings were truthfully awful.

Our players come back to pre season training in 3 weeks and there is every possibilty that unless there are players out, we will not have any new additions to the squad that would require a fee.

This is not all bad if you look at it from the view that the Malaysians are taking their time and sifting throught the mess that has been left by the previous regime, dont get me wrong I want success and big name signings but not to the detrement of our club, we will live and deal within our budget and the Malaysians will want patience to deliver and I think they deserve it.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Gerry Hat Trick wrote:
moz-dublin wrote:name a manager that never makes a mistake?

So you're suggesting all managers are equal. That's an excellent argument for getting rid of Jones and replacing him with one for one tenth of the money.

the only manager id replace jones with is sean o`driscoll,but there would have to be compo and a disasterous start to the season for that to happen