Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LATEST NEWS ON CARDIFF CITY FC

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:36 pm

The latest news on our club is, depending on your expectations regarding the Malaysians, is both good and bad.

The good news is the money for the tax bill is sat in the club's bank account ready to pay HMRC. It has not been paid as yet, because quite simply there is no rush on us to pay it, also we are still under a transfer embargo but that does not stop us negotiating with other clubs, if need be, like we did with Man City regarding Bellamy.

More positive news is that the wages are in the bank to pay for the next few months during the close season. The club has made significant cuts in the office jobs and we have seen players released and some who are unlikely to challenge the first team will be moved on.

Craig Bellamy has asked Man City to pay his contract up to allow him to move to City, great news to hear but unlikely to happen.

The bad news would be that today I have learned, despite what TG said at the EGM ( about finishing top 2 ), we will not be buying any players for considerable fees, I know some will not want to hear this but this is how it is, it is believed that TG thinks the squad we have, with a few additions will be good enough to mount a challenge. That said it does not mean that we won't pay good money, but it is likely that DJ will only see a significant budget to spend, if he sells first. Again I must point out that the club are not looking to sell but if there were an offer of over £4million for arguements sake for Chopra then the club will accept, and unlike when PR was here, DJ will in fact receive every penny of the transfer.

The biggest worry for us should be though that there does'nt appear to be anybody at the club who knows how to deal with agents or have experience in dealing with players contracts etc. Steve Borley is going on his holidays tomorrow and I have been told that leading football agents have not received any enquiries from Cardiff City about any players. Now many may down me for saying this but this is a role that Peter Ridsdale could do well, if he had strict limitations on him, he has many contacts in the game but his financial dealings were truthfully awful.

Our players come back to pre season training in 3 weeks and there is every possibilty that unless there are players out, we will not have any new additions to the squad that would require a fee.

This is not all bad if you look at it from the view that the Malaysians are taking their time and sifting throught the mess that has been left by the previous regime, dont get me wrong I want success and big name signings but not to the detrement of our club, we will live and deal within our budget and the Malaysians will want patience to deliver and I think they deserve it.

Re: LATEST NEWS ON CARDIFF CITY FC

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:39 pm

why cant dave jones do it like other managers do hes on enough money :lol:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 pm

aww :(

I want big money signings :lol: :lol:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:48 pm

I will accept consolidation this season, after the amount of debts we were left with :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks for that Carl.

At least our new owners are being sensible about how our club is run and I don't think anything you've reported should come as a great surprise to most of us.

I agree with your point about Ridsdale. One of his, admittedly few, good points was his contacts throughout the game and that is clearly a major loss to us. However, someone at the club is going to have to wise up in this area PDQ - a combination of Borley/Jones perhaps? Or maybe the club should appoint a consultant for a couple of monthsfor this very task?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:09 pm

What dissapoints a little is the new regime saying we will go up automatically next season ( this coming season)

How can we expect to go up with the same big game flops as we had in the season just ended

Lets face it - Hudson is an oxygen thief not far begind him is Kennedy, Mcnuaghton is so injury prone its untrue ( the blackpool game he was dreadful) Midfield - well where do you start

NO STRENGTH IN DEPTH

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for the update!

We would all like big signings - but look at Blackpool their "Big Signing" was £500K the rest of the squad were free's or loan signings!

Time for Jones to earn his money!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:20 pm

carlccfc wrote:Craig Bellamy has asked Man City to pay his contract up to allow him to move to City, great news to hear but unlikely to happen.

it is believed that TG thinks the squad we have, with a few additions will be good enough to mount a challenge.

You cannot argue with their theory that, with a few additions we could mount a challenge. We have a squad that made the Play-Offs so without selling there is no reason we cannot do it again.

There is no chance in hell that Man City will pay up Bellamy's contract, why would they? They want us to pay £40k towards his salary for a loan deal, why would they pay up all his wages for the two years left of his contract AND forgo a transfer fee that could be worth £6million. :roll:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:45 pm

This is no surprise to me and to a degree I have to agree that our present squad is up to a challenge. That is we can keep most of our squad and that they can overcome the disappointment of Wembley.

Looking back over last season I feel we should have been challenging for an auto. We had at least 3 bad spells and some shocking performances. Our consistancy was well below par. Yet we still comfortable qualified for the play offs. If we only had one bad spell like all clubs have or up the consistancy level we might have saved ourselves a couple of hundred quid going to Wembley.

Personally I believe our downfall was our squad size. For us to challenge this season we need to keep what we have and increase our squad. I feel the Malaysians will let us do this but I also feel DJ is not the man. His signing last season were well below par and I fear for what he could bring in again.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:This is no surprise to me and to a degree I have to agree that our present squad is up to a challenge. That is we can keep most of our squad and that they can overcome the disappointment of Wembley.

Looking back over last season I feel we should have been challenging for an auto. We had at least 3 bad spells and some shocking performances. Our consistancy was well below par. Yet we still comfortable qualified for the play offs. If we only had one bad spell like all clubs have or up the consistancy level we might have saved ourselves a couple of hundred quid going to Wembley.

Personally I believe our downfall was our squad size. For us to challenge this season we need to keep what we have and increase our squad. I feel the Malaysians will let us do this but I also feel DJ is not the man. His signing last season were well below par and I fear for what he could bring in again.

do you mean more cheap rubbish like bothroyd,mc cormack and burke?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:54 pm

moz-dublin wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:This is no surprise to me and to a degree I have to agree that our present squad is up to a challenge. That is we can keep most of our squad and that they can overcome the disappointment of Wembley.

do you mean more cheap rubbish like bothroyd,mc cormack and burke?

They were the season before. i dont want a repeat of what we had this season, Taiwo, Etuhu, Quinn, Hudson.....

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:58 pm

Carl. I'm happy with that.

If we get any sale money re-invested then it will be a hell of an improvement on previous seasons when we've solf £5m of players and spent £1m (apart from last year -when the spending almost matched sales - but we all know they wanted to sell 1 more, and look what sh1t that left us in financially).

There are several players who could go for fees and I'd put money on us getting money for at least 1 (2 if Ledley goes to a Prem club), we do need 4-5 quality players, but there are plenty of good ones around on frees. It then depends on the wage budget, which is why I'm not overly bothered if the Bellamy thing doesnt come off - as his wages would be (even a proportion of what he's on now, say £30k) equivalent to that of SEVERAL good players.

if we can keep the bulk of what we've got and replace any that go, like for like, add replace the ones who've gone in the last few weeks with better then I can see us being back up there again, and without breaking the bank and taking silly risks.

I'd settle for the play-offs again - you never know, it was 2nd time lucky when we went up last :ayatollah:

As for the contract thing, isn't Whitley a solicitor, surely he'd have contract experience. They could also employ their own agent to help advise them, so not the end of the world.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:58 pm

does any manager get it right every time?
hardly

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:08 pm

carlccfc wrote:More positive news is that the wages are in the bank to pay for the next few months during the close season.

So how are the wages going to be paid once the season starts again given there will be minimal gate income due to the number of season tickets sold?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:11 pm

moz-dublin wrote:does any manager get it right every time?
hardly

No but DJ last season got alot wrong.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:12 pm

NJ73 wrote:
carlccfc wrote:More positive news is that the wages are in the bank to pay for the next few months during the close season.

So how are the wages going to be paid once the season starts again given there will be minimal gate income due to the number of season tickets sold?

The Malaysians will then have to pump more money in and in return receive more Shares.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
hardly

he always will,its due to him not being perfect,
i aint either,and i very much doubt if you are

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Hudsons got to go, and we could command a fee for him. Great news for the
programme sellers, we could use the money to build them a new shed. So we
definitely need to find a new Roger Johnson type figure.

Sell Mcphail, there's half a million there. he's a bottler who cant play when the
pressure's on and the boots start flying. Sell Whittingham, there's £2.5 million.
Im convinced Whittingham is going to prove a on season wonder and without his
goals he gives us f**k all!! Sell Ross.. another £1.5m. Adam Matthews we'd get £2.5m
for him. Ledley, who knows if we'll get anything? maybe a million?

Bellamy would nearly pay for himself with the extra season ticket sales and shirts etc, so we
would have realistically around eight million to spend on rebuilding

Players would be chomping at the bit to sign for Cardiff if we get Bellamy, theyd all want
to be part of the rollercoaster ride.

Two good defenders, three midfielders (cos i think Darcy could be brilliant in a holding role
next season).. a big feller to take the pressure off Jay.. Craig Bellamy all ready to fire on
all cylinders....if DJ cant get the right fellers in with eight million then he needs shooting!!!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 pm

moz-dublin wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
hardly

he always will,its due to him not being perfect,
i aint either,and i very much doubt if you are

He always will get alot wrong. Is that what you are saying? If thats the case he should not be doing the job. Who else can hold a job down by getting alot wrong?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:19 pm

name a manager that never makes a mistake?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 pm

moz-dublin wrote:name a manager that never makes a mistake?

I cant and doubt there is one but that is not the point I am making. I'm saying that DJ made alot of dreadful decisions in the transfer market. As far as I'm concerned he made too many last season and if I was the new owners of the club I would have very little confidence in him bringing in new players that will give us the edge.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
NJ73 wrote:

The Malaysians will then have to pump more money in and in return receive more Shares.

And if they don't?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Well We would be in trouble again Thanks to The Riddler, as he has already spent Our Money.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
moz-dublin wrote:name a manager that never makes a mistake?

I cant and doubt there is one but that is not the point I am making. I'm saying that DJ made alot of dreadful decisions in the transfer market. As far as I'm concerned he made too many last season and if I was the new owners of the club I would have very little confidence in him bringing in new players that will give us the edge.

gerrard and marshall came in so it wasnt all bad,
personally i think hes done remarkably well in the transfer market for us

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Well We would be in trouble again Thanks to The Riddler, as he has already spent Our Money.

Surely though that money would have been gone regardless of the Riddlers antics as it was to be spent in Jan anyway. If the club had still failed to win promotion, it would be in exactly the same situation.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:35 pm

Gerrard was perhaps his best buy with Marshal a close second. Dont think either of them have been on the same level as Bothroyd, Burke or MaCormack so.
I personally think DJ has been well below par on this score last season and I think us 2 are going to have to agree to disagree.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:37 pm

The Malaysians will then have to pump more money in and in return receive more Shares.[/quote]

And if they don't?[/quote]

Gate income is only a small proportion of the clubs income these days.

Season tickets would account for about £5m, and another £2m from walk-up/match sales.

Stuff like league money, cup prize money, TV money, sponsorship, money from the stadium events, internationals, hospitality, and egg-chasing, etc.. will all go toward the wage bill.

Hopefully the £1.5 play-off money is in the bank too.

Also, don't forget season tickets will probably go on sale again before Christmas.

The club will have to come up with something good this year to flog 17000 again though :lol:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:39 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Gerrard was perhaps his best buy with Marshal a close second. Dont think either of them have been on the same level as Bothroyd, Burke or MaCormack so.
I personally think DJ has been well below par on this score last season and I think us 2 are going to have to agree to disagree.

only if you join me in a kumbaya

kumbaya my lord

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:42 pm

O Lord Kumbaya.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:45 pm

Perhaps we are talking to jimmy Bullard. He’s sacked his agent and is dealing with clubs direct.
Lol.
How many agents is in THERE the English football league system. Has every one of them said they have not heard from the city?
I WOULD IMAGINE DJ HAS A FAIR IDEA OF HOW TO negotiate TRANSFER DEALS.AFTER ALL HES GOT AN AGENT HIMSELF LOL
I don’t expect TG TO PAY OUT MASSIVE TRANSFER FEES BECAUSE IN THE ERA OF THE BOSMAN YOU DONT NEED TO.
WEHAVE GOT A DECENT SQUAD BUT SOME AREAS ARE IN NEED OF ATTENTION.
1 STRIKER, 2 MIDFIELD, 1 CENTRAL DEFENDER AND A KEEPER.
WE GOT A NEW BOARD LETS JUST LET THEM GET ON WITH THE JOB.
I,M A TRADE UNION negotiator IF STEVE pmS WE i CAN HELP OUT.
FOR A FEE OF COURSE