Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gethin Jenkins - My take on him

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm not going to slag the guy off but just give my take on things.

I had my suspicions when he took the job mainly because I thought he might come in with all those preconceptions that people (and especially rugby people) have about us. So far he's not convinced me he hasn't got any of those prejudices. Firstly in rugby they tend to sit in ivory towers mainly because they are too good to speak to fans, ask any Cardiff rugby fan if you don't beleive me.
Newport Dragons' - is it me or have they been portrayed as being a massive success story? Well come on please, they are not. I can remember going to the old Arms Park to watch Neath play Ponty in a cup final and it was way over soldout! You couldn't get a ticket for it for love nor money. Club games in Wales used to attract very good crowds so bragging about 6500 down Newport is laughable not a success story.
I admire this idea of kids entertainment at Newport simple because the kids find rugby and it's atmosphere f*cking boring. They need to entertain the kids in that sport. In football though the kids need nothing more than the game and the atmosphere to keep them glued and begging for more. This is why football is far more popular than rugby. You mess with the atmosphere and the build of live football then you are looking for trouble. Last season CCFC had it's highest average for very long time so why would you want to rip that up and try copying a crap rugby attmosphere and crap attendeance?

Valley support - I've heard he thinks he just needs Cardiff support. Well go and ask Cardiff Blues what they think about that. They've been trying to get valley support for years. Cardiff City FC's majority of support comes from the valleys, now that's a fact. However it is easy to miss read where people come from because of the crap post code system we have. On the face of it everyone has a CF postcode so they must come from Cardiff. WRONG! Fact is if you took away the valley support from last season then the attendances would have closer matched Newport Dragons. It doesn't matter anyway where someone comes from. Why should it? If someone from the far reaches of northern Scotland wants to be a City fan then why question his support? Just embrace it and welcome him rather than attempt to piss him off.

I doubt very much that Gethin is a City fan. Why? Because he said he used to go on the Bob Bank. Everyone who lies about going to NP says they went on the Bob Bank. I'll bet you a million dollars that there's no entry for him on the club's database. His actions so far are not on par with City fans and seem very much out of touch. The fact that he's got a good knowledge of the club doesn't wash with me because my brother in law also knows all about the club, yet he's a f*cking Man U fan and has never been to NP.

Finally, so far his customer liason skills are not too good at the moment. Has he got the same advisor that Ridsdale had? So far he looks like he's trying to commit suicide and become the shortest CEO ever! Like Ridsdale found out, you mess with City fans and you are looking for trouble and the exit door.
I think he can do a good job BUT he needs to talk to people because so far he's making massive mistakes. The biggest problem he's got is no one at the club seem to want to tell him how it is.

Re: Gethin Jenkins - My take on him

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:17 pm

Agree with all of that, mate.
Good post.

I think he can do a good job BUT he needs to talk to people because so far he's making massive mistakes. The biggest problem he's got is no one at the club seem to want to tell him how it is.

Surely Borley would mention something though?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:27 pm

good shout mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:30 pm

How long has this poor chap been in post?!!

I know it's the silly season but, come on, give the guy a break lads.

Let's at least clarify what he has actually said about the atmosphere at CCS for CCFC matches and not just rely on hearsay and innuendo.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:32 pm

I dont care if he goes to bed with a welsh rugby shirt on every night and I am no rugby fan

can he do a good job ?

and has he actually said he doesnt want valleys support ?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Claude Blue wrote:How long has this poor chap been in post?!!

Let's at least clarify what he has actually said about the atmosphere at CCS for CCFC matches and not just rely on hearsay and innuendo.

hear hear

lets get the facts first

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:34 pm

There's no definitive hard evidence that he said certain things, BUT - he has also NOT bothered to speak up and defend himself either. Surely if some one is saying something about you that isn't true, then you'd speak out to the people or media to correct what has or hasn't been said or done?

I have my doubts about him already too.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:36 pm

VBoy wrote:I'm not going to slag the guy off but just give my take on things.

I

I doubt very much that Gethin is a City fan. Why? Because he said he used to go on the Bob Bank. Everyone who lies about going to NP says they went on the Bob Bank. I'll bet you a million dollars that there's no entry for him on the club's database. His actions so far are not on par with City fans and seem very much out of touch. The fact that he's got a good knowledge of the club doesn't wash with me because my brother in law also knows all about the club, yet he's a f*cking Man U fan and has never been to NP.

are you saying our new chief executive is a liar ?

Finally, so far his customer liason skills are not too good at the moment. Has he got the same advisor that Ridsdale had? So far he looks like he's trying to commit suicide and become the shortest CEO ever! Like Ridsdale found out, you mess with City fans and you are looking for trouble and the exit door.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:37 pm

Claude, He is very Obnoxious and arrogant,He is Def not the right man to run Our Football Club.
He wants a Rugby atmosphere and to me thats for us.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Merlin wrote:There's no definitive hard evidence that he said certain things, BUT - he has also NOT bothered to speak up and defend himself either. Surely if some one is saying something about you that isn't true, then you'd speak out to the people or media to correct what has or hasn't been said or done?

lads , annis has said he has reservations based on conversations

thats fair enough and annis can answer those points

but what on earth are we doing suddenly having a character assasination of our new cheif executive just a few weeks into his job ?

I hope the story about gwyns book being taken off the shelves isnt trua and something can be worked out but christ , this is silly

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:40 pm

Sludge wrote:

No but removing Gwyns book can give the impression he is not keen on the Valley boys.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Sludge wrote:
Merlin wrote:There's no definitive hard evidence that he said certain things, BUT - he has also NOT bothered to speak up and defend himself either. Surely if some one is saying something about you that isn't true, then you'd speak out to the people or media to correct what has or hasn't been said or done?

lads , annis has said he has reservations based on conversations

thats fair enough and annis can answer those points

but what on earth are we doing suddenly having a character assasination of our new cheif executive just a few weeks into his job ?

I hope the story about gwyns book being taken off the shelves isnt trua and something can be worked out but christ , this is silly

Sludge, He wont even discuss it anymore.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:11 pm

If he wants a "rugby style" atmosphere at my football club then I'm with you Annis all the way.

I'll even go on a march!!!

No way am I wearing a sparkly cowboy hat, Welsh eggby shirt and carrying a large leek for any man!!!!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:15 pm

well said vboy your spot on ,excellent post :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:17 pm

Claude Blue wrote:If he wants a "rugby style" atmosphere at my football club then I'm with you Annis all the way.

No way am I wearing a sparkly cowboy hat, Welsh eggby shirt and carrying a large leek for any man!!!!

:lol:

Thankyou Claude :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Claude Blue wrote:If he wants a "rugby style" atmosphere at my football club then I'm with you Annis all the way.

you would still be a lot more attractive than a lot of ''ladies'' from up here :lol: :lol: :lol:

bow and woodbines gang :lol:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Bloody 'ell - I'll keep out of Porth then!!!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Claude Blue wrote:Bloody 'ell - I'll keep out of Porth then!!!
tooo true the women are all door security up here, us men are the minority of trouble makers :D

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:32 pm

I had my suspicions when he took the job mainly because I thought he might come in with all those preconceptions that people (and especially rugby people) have about us. So far he's not convinced me he hasn't got any of those prejudices. Firstly in rugby they tend to sit in ivory towers mainly because they are too good to speak to fans, ask any Cardiff rugby fan if you don't beleive me.
Newport Dragons' - is it me or have they been portrayed as being a massive success story? Well come on please, they are not. I can remember going to the old Arms Park to watch Neath play Ponty in a cup final and it was way over soldout! You couldn't get a ticket for it for love nor money. Club games in Wales used to attract very good crowds so bragging about 6500 down Newport is laughable not a success story.
I admire this idea of kids entertainment at Newport simple because the kids find rugby and it's atmosphere f*cking boring. They need to entertain the kids in that sport. In football though the kids need nothing more than the game and the atmosphere to keep them glued and begging for more. This is why football is far more popular than rugby. You mess with the atmosphere and the build of live football then you are looking for trouble. Last season CCFC had it's highest average for very long time so why would you want to rip that up and try copying a crap rugby attmosphere and crap attendeance?

Valley support - I've heard he thinks he just needs Cardiff support. Well go and ask Cardiff Blues what they think about that. They've been trying to get valley support for years. Cardiff City FC's majority of support comes from the valleys, now that's a fact. However it is easy to miss read where people come from because of the crap post code system we have. On the face of it everyone has a CF postcode so they must come from Cardiff. WRONG! Fact is if you took away the valley support from last season then the attendances would have closer matched Newport Dragons. It doesn't matter anyway where someone comes from. Why should it? If someone from the far reaches of northern Scotland wants to be a City fan then why question his support? Just embrace it and welcome him rather than attempt to piss him off.

whoooooooooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooo that f*cking told him, let im hav it vboy lol

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Really enjoyed it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:04 pm

He's just there to do as he's told. He's a salaried employee not a shareholder or owner. We all know that the atmosphere won't change, this is the club of south Wales and pulls loads of support from Neath to Newport. There's no way the club will continue on just fans from Cardiff alone.

I also think the book thing is not connected, nor a sign of anti valleys but in my opinion the club shop should be selling official merchandise. I used to write alot for the Thin Blue Line. Sam tried to have that banned and not allowed to sell in the ground. It's much easier for everyone official merchandise in the official club shop, easy.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:58 pm

RobbieS wrote:He's just there to do as he's told. He's a salaried employee not a shareholder or owner. We all know that the atmosphere won't change, this is the club of south Wales and pulls loads of support from Neath to Newport. There's no way the club will continue on just fans from Cardiff alone.

I also think the book thing is not connected, nor a sign of anti valleys but in my opinion the club shop should be selling official merchandise. I used to write alot for the Thin Blue Line. Sam tried to have that banned and not allowed to sell in the ground. It's much easier for everyone official merchandise in the official club shop, easy.

It makes sense, he's not stupid anyway.

Someone also mentioned something about a fans book the club is releasing, and that the club would rather just have their own books for sale. I don't know how true that might be, even if I don't agree.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:02 pm

Claude, I didn't write it as an attack but more of a bit of sound advice that he'd do well to listen to. You can't try to run a football club like a rugby club, simple really. It's a different animal.
Lets flip this on it's head. If I went to run a rugby club their atmosphere (or lack of it) would be a concern for me. What I would do is segregate the away fans so that would give a bit of banter. Now that's me thinking from a football perspective, I think that would be a great idea but if I actually tried that then the rugby fans would run me out of town. You can't run a rugby club like a football club either.

At the end of the day the CEO is judged on his actions be that good or bad. He's in his early critical days and he could make mistakes now that he could never recover from, David Temme learned that with his brass band idea. There are some things a CEO must never mess with. He should just run a tight ship, get us the best players we can afford, pay the tax bill and that's that.

If it is true that he wants to play the arrogance game then I really hope that's just Annis over reacting, because if it is true then things could get very messy and we don't need messy now we need to move onwards and upwards.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:07 pm

VBoy wrote:

Claude, I didn't write it as an attack but more of a bit of sound advice that he'd do well to listen to. You can't try to run a football club like a rugby club, simple really. It's a different animal.
Lets flip this on it's head. If I went to run a rugby club their atmosphere (or lack of it) would be a concern for me. What I would do is segregate the away fans so that would give a bit of banter. Now that's me thinking from a football perspective, I think that would be a great idea but if I actually tried that then the rugby fans would run me out of town. You can't run a rugby club like a football club either.

At the end of the day the CEO is judged on his actions be that good or bad. He's in his early critical days and he could make mistakes now that he could never recover from, David Temme learned that with his brass band idea. There are some things a CEO must never mess with. He should just run a tight ship, get us the best players we can afford, pay the tax bill and that's that.

If it is true that he wants to play the arrogance game then I really hope that's just Annis over reacting, because if it is true then things could get very messy and we don't need messy now we need to move onwards and upwards.

Well said VBoy :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:12 pm

as far as im concerned the guy needs to sort out the shit commercial department and the premier seating area's as a priority and stop worrying about who's books he stocks in the club shop.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:14 pm

Steve youve changed your no, can you ring me :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Steve youve changed your no, can you ring me :ayatollah:

number ok annis i broke the phone in vegas and will be back on line on same number tea time tomorrow and i will ring you then

regards

steve

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:19 pm

steve davies wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Steve youve changed your no, can you ring me :ayatollah:

number ok annis i broke the phone in vegas and will be back on line on same number tea time tomorrow and i will ring you then

regards

steve

Ok Cheers, forget my pm.
I hope Las Vegas was great and I bet more exciting than here :lol: :lol:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Sludge wrote:

No but removing Gwyns book can give the impression he is not keen on the Valley boys.

I agree that removing the book wasn't a clever move, but the valley ram's movement by the end stretched from Neath to Monmouth so I don't really buy that one

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Dicey wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Sludge wrote:

I agree that removing the book wasn't a clever move, but the valley ram's movement by the end stretched from Neath to Monmouth so I don't really buy that one

To be fair we don't know if or why he removed them. If it is true and he did it because of it's content then that is daft, it isn't a hoolie book or anything bad. Money wise I tak it the club make a few bob off every sale so it can't be that. We are just guessing afterall.
Either way before acting he should have had the decency to call Gwyn and discuss the rights and wrongs. Gwyn would'nt mind, he's a big lad and can take a let down like that. I know for a fact that Gwyn has been singing the praises of Gethin Jenkins so it's a strange one really.

It's the same with Annis he's been behind him on here but if Gethin doesn't want his books in the shop then all he has to do is talk to the guy about it. Even if at the end of the conversation Annis doesn't agree with Gethin I know that Annis would just say that he agrees to disagree but respects Gethin's opinion. Am I wrong Annis?

The problem is that Gethin has just come in on the back of a tyrant so it doesn't matter who the new CEO was people would be cautious of him. He needs to be righting wrongs and talking to the likes of Annis and Gwyn not doing his best to piss them off from a distance.