Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DJ/Bothroyd - what's the story?

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Plenty of rumours/stories about bust up's etc after the playoff final, but what's the story behind it?

Seems a bit crazy to me!

Re: DJ/Bothroyd - what's the story?

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:27 pm

The bust up started prior to the game Owain.

On the Friday before the game Bothroyd trained a full session with the team and there were no concerns about any injury to him, he was fully fit.

Then a couple of hours before the game he declares himself injured with a calf strain.

Dave Jones tells him he is playing and you have to give DJ the benefit of the doubt here, we have known all season that DJ has been in Bothroyd's ear about him going down to easy and sometimes not workign hard enough.

If you cry wolf too many times and all that.

Within 3 minutes of the kick off he is asking to come off, obviously this has caused a massive row in the dressing room and DJ lost it with Bothroyd and that is when the statement was made ' you will never play for me again '.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:31 pm

carlccfc wrote:The bust up started prior to the game Owain.

On the Friday before the game Bothroyd trained a full session with the team and there were no concerns about any injury to him, he was fully fit.

Then a couple of hours before the game he declares himself injured with a calf strain.

Dave Jones tells him he is playing and you have to give DJ the benefit of the doubt here, we have known all season that DJ has been in Bothroyd's ear about him going down to easy and sometimes not workign hard enough.

Within 3 minutes of the kick off he is asking to come off, obviously this has caused a massive row in the dressing room and DJ lost it with Bothroyd and that is when the statement was made ' you will never play for me again '.

Yes Carl, your right, you can only cry wolf so many times, then you get ignored, I am not a DJ fan but I am on his side this time, but he then had NO PLAN B ??

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:38 pm

Midfield general wrote:If DJ had suitable back-up when Bothroyd was injured then I doubt if he would have played him. People can say that we had a transfer ban but before that was in place then we had some crap brought in who are taking big wages like Hudson :twisted:

Well over paid Hudson and Well over rated, I would like to have moved him on before next Season.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:43 pm

We've never had a plan B really, and Jones has to be to blame for that. Bringing Etuhu on instead of Ross was a mistake. Chops and Ross can't really play together, but Etuhu is nowhere near a replacement for Bothroyd either!

I still don't see what Bothroyd has done wrong though, the fact that he can be frustrating to watch and goes down easily wouldn't have made any difference to his injury.
If it had been anyone else they would have had to come off too.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:43 pm

yes agree but who,s goin to pay him the sort of wages were payin him

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Don't forget Ridsdale has a big part to play in this - failing to use OUR £3.2m season ticket money to strengthen the team. So the possibility of a plan B was taken away even before it was created.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:48 pm

If i was jones - I'd be planning and training over the summer with Gerrard and Gyepes in the middle. They are our CURRENT best center backs.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Yes Carl, your right, you can only cry wolf so many times, then you get ignored, I am not a DJ fan but I am on his side this time, but he then had NO PLAN B ??

IMO plan B would've been Josh Maggenis, but he was released.

He absolutely tore Blackpool apart when we played them in Jan.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Ross Young wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

IMO plan B would've been Josh Maggenis, but he was released.

He absolutely tore Blackpool apart when we played them in Jan.

Oh, come on! Throw on a bit part player into the biggest ever rewarding world club football match!! He would have been shot to pieces!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Jay is the most annoying player I've seen in a City shirt. He has prodigious talent, worthy of gracing Premier League pitches, it just seems his attitude and commitment is Blue Square South. It is a 'tag' that has stuck with him throughout his career and it wouldn't surprise me if that is the only reason he won't make the big time.

To cry off during THE biggest game of the season just shows you've got no bottle. Look at the Blackpool midfielder who twisted his ankle early doors but refused to come off. And then you've got Jay, with a slight calf strain. To me, it doesn't matter what he achieved during the course of the season, he let us down BIG TIME when we needed him the most. If he stays, he owes us big time. No more sulking, drama or falling over, just get on with it and make the best out of a god given talent.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Mr Davies wrote:Jay is the most annoying player I've seen in a City shirt. He has prodigious talent, worthy of gracing Premier League pitches, it just seems his attitude and commitment is Blue Square South. It is a 'tag' that has stuck with him throughout his career and it wouldn't surprise me if that is the only reason he won't make the big time.

To cry off during THE biggest game of the season just shows you've got no bottle. Look at the Blackpool midfielder who twisted his ankle early doors but refused to come off. And then you've got Jay, with a slight calf strain. To me, it doesn't matter what he achieved during the course of the season, he let us down BIG TIME when we needed him the most. If he stays, he owes us big time. No more sulking, drama or falling over, just get on with it and make the best out of a god given talent.

He can be frustrating I completely agree, but I completely disagree about crying off.
He couldn't have carried on with his injury, and it would have been pretty stupid to really.
That off all games would surely have been one he wanted to play in. There's no reason one of our top players wouldn't want to get promoted with us

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:30 pm

Owain wrote:
Mr Davies wrote:Jay is the most annoying player I've seen in a City shirt. He has prodigious talent, worthy of gracing Premier League pitches, it just seems his attitude and commitment is Blue Square South. It is a 'tag' that has stuck with him throughout his career and it wouldn't surprise me if that is the only reason he won't make the big time.

He can be frustrating I completely agree, but I completely disagree about crying off.
He couldn't have carried on with his injury, and it would have been pretty stupid to really.
That off all games would surely have been one he wanted to play in. There's no reason one of our top players wouldn't want to get promoted with us

Why couldn't he have carried on though?? Like I said, look at the Blackpool player who was injured early but wouldn't cry off. Jay could've played if he so wished. Bobby Zamora for Fulham was carrying a knock for much of the end of season run in but he still put in solid performances when he was called upon by his team. Thats why Zamora is Premier League and Jay isn't.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:41 pm

It's not just a niggly injury though. Your normally out for about 6-8 weeks with what he had, and couldn't really continue playing.

I know it's annoying, and I'd have expected someone to carry on playing in such an important game, but I think it may have been a case of not being able to rather than not wanting to.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Well, it would seem his fellow pro's at the club didn't think too much of Jay after the game. At their after party, while Joe spent the night in tears, Ross and Chops got wankered - nobody bothered even speaking to Jay. He just sat on his own. I think that speaks volumes.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Mr Davies wrote:Well, it would seem his fellow pro's at the club didn't think too much of Jay after the game. At their after party, while Joe spent the night in tears, Ross and Chops got wankered - nobody bothered even speaking to Jay. He just sat on his own. I think that speaks volumes.

Maybe he was sat on his own - because he was reflecting on what could have been if he could have carried on!!!

I bet he felt like shit - no need for everyone else to have a go at him - he is human!!!

I am sure all the players were reflecting on what could have been - DJ is responsible for the decisions on the pitch HE cannot blame 1 player in the whole squad that is unprofessional - and DJ should have thought it through - because this injury had been mentioned throughout the previous days in training.

I do not think ANY player would take an easy cop out of a major game with high importance to his career and the club!
He was upset frustrated and we know how DJ speaks - imagine Jay being told he would never play for DJ/CCFC again.

I do think Jay goes down too easy and does need to stand into the play more BUT i support him and i like him as a player and i think some of the comments have been unfair to him .

:ayatollah:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:01 pm

There's a very thin line between staying on when injured and being able to make a worthwhile contributon to your team, or staying on and being unable to make that contribution. If it was the case that he'd have to be carried through the game as the injury was such that he would be at best a passenger then coming off early would be the best option IMO, it gives the manager the chance to use a fit player in his place, the fact that our replacement fit player wasn't up to the task goes all the way back to the transfer embargo and the Riddler.

Jay can be a whinger as we all know but I doubt he would let his teamates and manager and fans down on the biggest day in the clubs history without good reason, if your injured and f****d then you have to come off.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Jez wrote:
Mr Davies wrote:Well, it would seem his fellow pro's at the club didn't think too much of Jay after the game. At their after party, while Joe spent the night in tears, Ross and Chops got wankered - nobody bothered even speaking to Jay. He just sat on his own. I think that speaks volumes.

Maybe he was sat on his own - because he was reflecting on what could have been if he could have carried on!!!

I bet he felt like shit - no need for everyone else to have a go at him - he is human!!!

I am sure all the players were reflecting on what could have been - DJ is responsible for the decisions on the pitch HE cannot blame 1 player in the whole squad that is unprofessional - and DJ should have thought it through - because this injury had been mentioned throughout the previous days in training.

I do not think ANY player would take an easy cop out of a major game with high importance to his career and the club!
He was upset frustrated and we know how DJ speaks - imagine Jay being told he would never play for DJ/CCFC again.

I do think Jay goes down too easy and does need to stand into the play more BUT i support him and i like him as a player and i think some of the comments have been unfair to him .

I just think he's a pussy. Even after breaking my ankle in a Sunday League match I had to be dragged off. I wanted to to play and win for my team. And Jez, honestly, he may have been reflecting but trust me, the players just blanked him.

I know we can all be a fickle bunch at times (well, most of the time) but Jay knew what he was doing. As far as I'm concerned, especially for the money he's on, he can take all the abuse!!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:05 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:There's a very thin line between staying on when injured and being able to make a worthwhile contributon to your team, or staying on and being unable to make that contribution. If it was the case that he'd have to be carried through the game as the injury was such that he would be at best a passenger then coming off early would be the best option IMO, it gives the manager the chance to use a fit player in his place, the fact that our replacement fit player wasn't up to the task goes all the way back to the transfer embargo and the Riddler.

Jay can be a whinger as we all know but I doubt he would let his teamates and manager and fans down on the biggest day in the clubs history without good reason, if your injured and f****d then you have to come off.

Exactly. I'm sure the players were annoyed that he came off, but even Jay himself didn't know what he'd done until he had an MRI.
Tensions were obviously going to be high after losing such a game, but once they knew what he'd done you can't argue against him coming off.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Mr Davies wrote:
Jez wrote:

I just think he's a pussy. Even after breaking my ankle in a Sunday League match I had to be dragged off. I wanted to to play and win for my team. And Jez, honestly, he may have been reflecting but trust me, the players just blanked him.

I know we can all be a fickle bunch at times (well, most of the time) but Jay knew what he was doing. As far as I'm concerned, especially for the money he's on, he can take all the abuse!!

That mr D is cos your a hard loony nuttttttttttttttter :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Mr Davies wrote:
Jez wrote:

But are/were you the focal point for most of the attacking options for your team when you done your ankle? would you be still making a useful contribution to your team? were your team playing in the biggest match in their history?

You can't afford to carry passengers in big games, if your injured your contribution will almost certainly be less than a fit player coming on to replace you, regardless of how talented you are.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:26 pm

I was the team psychopathic centre midfielder. Well, half psychopathic/half flair. I could put a 60 yard ball straight to feet then minutes later get sent off for a stupid two footed lunge. They say theres a fine line between genius and insanity.

Plus, I was on the pitch for a reason, I was the best in my position. I believe I still offered more one leg than my replacement would've with two. Jay could lose both legs and still offer more than DJ's plan B!!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Mr Davies, i reckon you've got it spot on :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: When Bothroyd cried off it was the lift that Blackpool needed, just him being on the pitch with his presence would have been enough to keep their defence on their toes. All this talk about having to come off just does'nt wash, does a boxer quit that easy? no chance.Unless it's a break or a complete rupture it's surprising what you can go through IF YOU REALLY WANT TO! I've run over 20 marathons & have finished a few with injuries & pain with a tear & one with a stress fracture. If you really want it you'll go through it, he's got 4 MONTHS to recover! Too much money & not enough backbone.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm sorry but this was just another classic case of Dave Jones shifting the blame he is a master at this very much in the same mould as Ridsdale. While everybody on here is slagging off Bothroyd, who by the way had a grade 2 calf strain (not nice I can tell you), Dave Jones has got off scott free because in my view he was out thought by a better manager, someone with a bit of tactical nous which I am sorry to say is a department that Dave jones is severely lacking. His big error was chosing Hudson over Gerrard and when Bothroyd got this unfortunate injury he brought on Etuhu ( a player devoid of any skill and whose first touch is abysmal) to replace him. All he had to do was leave Chops up front on his own and have five accross the middle of the park this would have nullified Blackpools midfield superiority and our better quality players would have come out on top.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:59 pm

ihatealiens wrote:I'm sorry but this was just another classic case of Dave Jones shifting the blame he is a master at this very much in the same mould as Ridsdale. While everybody on here is slagging off Bothroyd, who by the way had a grade 2 calf strain (not nice I can tell you), Dave Jones has got off scott free because in my view he was out thought by a better manager, someone with a bit of tactical nous which I am sorry to say is a department that Dave jones is severely lacking. His big error was chosing Hudson over Gerrard and when Bothroyd got this unfortunate injury he brought on Etuhu ( a player devoid of any skill and whose first touch is abysmal) to replace him. All he had to do was leave Chops up front on his own and have five accross the middle of the park this would have nullified Blackpools midfield superiority and our better quality players would have come out on top.

I hate for manager! :D

DJ plays 1 formation and he is rigid which then hinders us when something he can't plan for - simple as!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:27 pm

If you google calf strains you will find there are 3 types - grade 1 mild pain, grade 2 moderate pain, grade 3 severe pain.Bothroyd suffered grade 2 calf strain & a grade 1 bottle job.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Why would JB want to come off .it was one of the biggest games hed plyaed in.
Its quite possible he was fit before the game.these things happen in football.
there was no plan b.risdales season ticket con made sure of that.