Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What was your best season watching City ?

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:16 pm

Difficult one.

4th division Championship with Eddie May ?
Play-off winners with Lennie ?
FA Cup Final ?
lennie ashurts side with the Bennet bros ?

for me, despite the eventual disappointment I think it was last season. So many great games, trips to Villa Park and Stamford bridge for the first time, 6-0 win at the Worzels, last minute winner against the jacks. The 3 Leicester home games and the away leg of the play-offs, s much excitement. It was brilliant.

Some of the other seasons seem so long ago and the opposition were shit and so were our gates. Plus with playing footy or lving away I didnt see all the games. This year my 2 youngest kids have been at loads of games, most of my mates have mamanged to get seats in the same area and it just culminated in 70+ of us going to Wembley on the 'sweat bus'.

Cant wait for next year. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

What about the rest of you ?

Re: What was your best season watching City ?

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:30 pm

92/3 was great fun. loads of great away trips...Scunny & Wrexham were awesome. Ratcliffes debut at Carlisle will live long in the memory as will great trips to Gillingham and a pwoper nawty Friday night at Northampton. Great days, lots of great characters off the pitch and on it too. Looking back that was one hell of a team ... Gavin Ward, Ratcliffe, Robbie James, Blakey, Stantona, Pikey and Carl Dale but my favourite player was Paul Ramsey, now he was fuckin hard :lol: A great captain too. :ayatollah:

Like you Lawnmower I really enjoyed this seaon too, both my kids now have STs with me and it's great to see so many of their classmates wearing City shirts and getting down to the CCS too.

2007/08 wasn't bad either ! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:05 pm

1983 far the best
1987 second best
1993 third best

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:07 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:1983 far the best
1987 second best
1993 third best

:old:

:lol:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:25 pm

I loved it when the Bennet brothers were there.....great times.But the best times I remember was the Tony Evans,Peter Sayer,John Buchannan,etc, era!! :)

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Eddie May Season without a doubt, Atmosphere, players who jelled, cared about Our Club and Us Fans :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Eddie May Season without a doubt, Atmosphere, players who jelled, cared about Our Club and Us Fans :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Ratcliffe didn't, the tw*t couldnt wait to slag us off after he left.

He went to Forest and I lived up there, said he preferred playing for Forests reserves than Cardiff, .. better standard.

A City fan from Barry who I went to a few games with up there spotted him in the supermarket up there and gave it to him both barrels. Bit of a shock for Rats. Apparently Ratcliffe left Tesco's without his cornflakes :lol:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:29 am

The Eddie May years, I used to go down for a few games before that but it was the Eddie May years that cemented my love for the City! I will forever be grateful to my Gramps for taking me down those years as I was too young to go down by myself. Which pissed me off! But they were brilliant times!

Plus a lot has to be said to Rick Wright for the master stroke of the junior bluebirds that scheme got thousands of youngsters involved in the city that probably wouldn't have bothered!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:40 am

1959/60
We laid waste to the second division and we had a team of all the talents. The forward line of Walsh/Tapscott/Moore/Bonson/Watkins blasted in great goals and Malloy marshalled the defence into a tight unit. The football flowed deadly and easily and I've never seen anything at the ground before or since that came close to matching it.

:old:
CAL

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:58 am

1970/71 we were so close that year. If it were not for Toshack leaving we would have almost certainly won the league that season.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:30 pm

The late 70's is where my affection lies.
The Bennett/Hemmerman '82-83 season was special
Bartlett and Gilligan in '87-88 season, Gilligan destroying Wolves on their own patch
'92-93 the last few weeks with Wrexham away, Shrewsbury home, Scunthorpe away etc. were bliss
2000-2001 with Hammam's arrival, a strong Welsh contingent, promotion and belting Bristol Rovers in the cup.

But ultimately my favourite single season would have to be
1998-1999, Frankie Burrows mkII.
There were times during that season when I thought we'd score every time we attacked. Taking Brentford apart at Ninian Park was the highlight.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:40 pm

its got to be 92/3 season 1000's of city travelling away and the grange surging forward when we scored :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:50 pm

without doubt 92-93 :ayatollah: everytime i hear simply the best by tina turner i think of that season.