Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LATEST NEWS ON CHOPRA

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:53 am

I have spoken with someone at the club regarding Chopra and it is true the club have received a bid from Ipswich of £3.75 million but the club have not accepted the offer.

I must say that the club are not touting our players like Ridsdale used to and I have been told that the club are in fact trying to keep the team together and not break it up.

The club will in fact let Chopra go but for £4.5 million and they must receive all ( or a very large percentage ) up front, which I have been told they will then give DJ the money to use in the transfer market.

I, personally would let Chopra go that money, even though he has scored over 20 goals this season he does have these spells where he goes on a barren run and it does cost the team dearly.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tr ... 48857.html

Re: LATEST NEWS ON CHOPRA

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:56 am

Carl would you think that if a £4.5m bid did come in, and Cardiff accepted, Chopra would simply say "No, I dont want to play for Ipswich"!

or

IF, he did go - do you think Jones would then use that cash to Lure Bellamy to the club ? As there would still be around £2.5m - £3m for other players as well.

?????

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:00 pm

carlccfc wrote:I have spoken with someone at the club regarding Chopra and it is true the club have received a bid from Ipswich of £3.75 million but the club have not accepted the offer.

I must say that the club are not touting our players like Ridsdale used to and I have been told that the club are in fact trying to keep the team together and not break it up.

The club will in fact let Chopra go but for £4.5 million and they must receive all ( or a very large percentage ) up front, which I have been told they will then give DJ the money to use in the transfer market.

I, personally would let Chopra go that money, even though he has scored over 20 goals this season he does have these spells where he goes on a barren run and it does cost the team dearly.

I am with you on this Carl and if we get £4.5 mill I would sell him.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:02 pm

If he goes I would give Ross a run, he done very well the season Chops was up in Sunderland. Plus we could play 3 up to Ross, Jay and Bellamy - bit like Man City.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:03 pm

I would be dissapointed to see Chops leave because even though he does go throigh spells where he doesn't score, he still gives 100% and is a pain in the arse to play against causing all sorts of grief to defenders. I reckon this has helped Whitts to pop up with the goals he's bagged.

I agree with Carl though that 4.5 mil is a good offer and we could strengthen the team elsewhere. Strength in depth was a big problem last season.

It's a f*cking hard decision to make!!!

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:04 pm

JOP wrote:If he goes I would give Ross a run, he done very well the season Chops was up in Sunderland. Plus we could play 3 up to Ross, Jay and Bellamy - bit like Man City.

Good call it could well being the best out of McCormack again.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:06 pm

We need to keep all our players...chopra is so important to our club!!! and why on earth would we want to sell to our rivals!! MAD... :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:30 pm

For £4.5 million I'd let him go but NOT to a promotion rival!! He can go to a Prem team or Scotland. I'd also want all the money reinvested in the team. We can use the Jacks as an example of what happens of you sell your main goal scorer and don't replace him.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Ok Carl, i think we need to keep Chops with regard to the baron spells could it be if we had some decent centre mids this would maybe be the answer. Thought Chops was terrific up top on his own for final. Could Jones play 3 up top and 3 in the centre? :o

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:39 pm

While I wouldn't like to lose Chopra, if a bid of £4.5million came in then the club would have to think seriously about it.

If the money could be used to lure in Bellamy and another 2 or 3 players then it would be good business. Chopra has those barren speels and while he does work hard, we have to look at the bigger picture.

It would also show a small profit on him, for the second time in a few years.

Needless to say, he may well wish not to go anyway and I for one wouldn't be disappointed if he stated his intention to stay a City player.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:43 pm

"If we got offered £4.5 mill the club would give the money to Jonesy to use on transfers", I assume that would be on top of what he's already been promised, if not then we need to hang onto Chops.

Don't want to see this team dismantled and get rebuilt from scratch, a sure recipe for missing out ot the top 6 IMO.

Ross McCormack was a bit part player last season, he's too talented to be a bench warmer, but where would he fit in if Chops and Jay both stay with us? at his age he needs to be starting games, plus in the unlikely event of Bellamy joining us that would see him drop further down the pecking order.

At the moment we are well served with attacking players other than some competition for Jay, it's the middle of the park and central defence that are our achilles heel, hope Jonesy addresses these problems.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:11 pm

£4.5m is good money but that wouldn't give DJ much leeway. He would have to buy another goalscorer and that would be at least £2m of the money gone. Bellamy isn't a 20 goal a season man and McCormack simply isn't up to it (13 of his goals for 2008/2009 were penalties, less in open play than Whitts last season :shock: ).

I think we should keep Chopra and build a team around him and Bothroyd. If we have real ambition why would we want to break up the best attack pairing outside the Premiership :shock: Of course if we need the money then our stability is much more important but I do think selling Chopra could cause more problems than it solves.

If we have quality replacements lined up at low cost then maybe I'd go with that but Chopra would take some replacing :ayatollah: There's a lot of people who would be quick to moan at DJ if we were finding it difficult to score goals come Sept/Oct.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:14 pm

I dont think DJ would want to lose Chops he is one of his favourites :roll: :lol:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:15 pm

piledriver64 wrote:£4.5m is good money but that wouldn't give DJ much leeway. He would have to buy another goalscorer and that would be at least £2m of the money gone. Bellamy isn't a 20 goal a season man and McCormack simply isn't up to it (13 of his goals for 2008/2009 were penalties, less in open play than Whitts last season :shock: ).

I think we should keep Chopra and build a team around him and Bothroyd. If we have real ambition why would we want to break up the best attack pairing outside the Premiership :shock: Of course if we need the money then our stability is much more important but I do think selling Chopra could cause more problems than it solves.

If we have quality replacements lined up at low cost then maybe I'd go with that but Chopra would take some replacing :ayatollah: There's a lot of people who would be quick to moan at DJ if we were finding it difficult to score goals come Sept/Oct.

Not in the Premiership he isn't! ;)

Like i said though - we need to keep chopra and try raise the £2m from compensation from Ledley going to the prem? or from losing another £2m rate player? (McCormack)? To bring in Bellamy - and have all three of them! :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:33 pm

No No No sell.
Definately not to one of our rivals.
Chops wins games,
With a better class of midfield he could shot us into the premier league.
Whats 4 million up against the money we'd get from promotion.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:34 pm

stickywicket wrote:No No No sell.
Definately not to one of our rivals.
Chops wins games,
With a better class of midfield he could shot us into the premier league.
Whats 4 million up against the money we'd get from promotion.

Well said.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Bear in ind lads, we probably still owe Sunderland a fairly big chunk.

If chopra goes for £4m we may end up with only about 1/2 of that.

17 league goals.

McCormack got 21 the season before (many were pens mind). I think he could do a good job as replacement, but we need real quality if we are to get auto. Is Ross enough for that, not really.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:50 pm

13 were pens I believe - leaves 8 which is pretty poor really. Rossco should be nothing more than back up as a striker. I dont mind seeing him go wide if one of Witts or Burke goes.

Id be gutted to see Chops go but then again I dont see Chops and Bellamy working so depends what they have planned for the seasons transfer

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Bellamy and Chops?for that read Bellamy and Tevez, I know Chops ain't no Tevez but it would work, Bellamy played left wing all l;ast season and scored 12 goals

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Bellamy has always said he prefers playing upfront so if he is dropping a division im sure he will want to play upfront.
and besides we 4-4-2 andI doubt that will change :lol:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:37 pm

2blue2handle wrote:13 were pens I believe - leaves 8 which is pretty poor really. Rossco should be nothing more than back up as a striker. I dont mind seeing him go wide if one of Witts or Burke goes.

Id be gutted to see Chops go but then again I dont see Chops and Bellamy working so depends what they have planned for the seasons transfer

Penalties still have to be converted, and you need composure, technique, mental strength. I dont care how a player scores, goals are goals. He might have won have those penalites himself with 100% opportunities to score? Penalties are awarded for a reason you know. They aren't offered for free!! McCormack still has a job to do at this club, and i'd rather keep all our players, but if we have to sell a player (non essential - if that makes any sense) to bring in Bellamy - so be it! With Bellers up front we'll piss this league, and get up to £100million in rewards!

:ayatollah:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:01 pm

If we gte bellamy, id let him go, if we dont i wouldnt sell him. Espicially to a league rival. Chopra does go on dry spells, but he always pops up with goals in big games.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:27 pm

I would be gutted to see him leave - if they dont want to break the team up then tell Ipswich to f**k off!!!

I hope they dont sell him - f**k it, i will move abroad if they do

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:35 pm

HOW can you let him go whe

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:37 pm

HOW can ypu let him go when you have seen what he can do to defences in this division You CAN NOT sell him to a side in the same league

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:45 pm

I cannot see why any city fan could say "for 4.5m I would leave chopra go" please forgive me but I cannot
accept those comments. We are trying to build for the premier league and we are saying YES its ok for
players to leave that provide us with 20 goals! Amazing at best!!! Where would you get anyone of the same claibre
as chops for that price? And for f**k sake dont tell me Bellamy - he is not coming to the city - get used to it. And if you want proof - pm me!

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:57 pm

I dont want Chops going anywhere........Our club must be bonkers to even think about him leaving,especially to someone in our own division.Who the feck would we replace him with??.Chops menaces the defences in this division,and I certainly dont want him let loose against our defence..............Think please City!!

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:03 pm

Can we afford to lose a 20+ goal a season striker, particularly when I thought he was supposed to our great marketing asset for Asia.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Don't let Chopra go. By far the best striker in the championship. Always a pain for defenders and would tear our defense apart if we played Ipswich.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:42 pm

it would be stupidity to let chopra go to one off our rivals if the malaysians are serious about a top 2 finish we must keep all our top players with ledley hes a differant case if he wants to go we cant hold onto him un fortunalty althought i hope they can offer him what he wants to make him stay