Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM THE MALAYSIANS

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:29 am

I strongly believe they will put this club on the right road, but how do others see it going. Are you prepared to wait 5 or 6 years and build patiently or do you want them to go gung oh and splash the cash bearing in mind what has happened in recent years.

Whether we like it or not, to take the next step up, sooner or later we are going to have to pay the wages that the better players can get elsewhere if we aren't prepared to pay them why would the come to our club.

Do we expect the owners to gamble and go for it, because as far as I can see it, when other owners have gambled and it ain't quite come off, we then turn on them saying they have been reckless, wasted money etc.

It would appear that as fans, we are looking for someone to take the gamble, but only risk their money and if it goes wrong they are the losers. It would also appear that heaven forbid they are succesful,make money and walk away from the club with a profit, they would then be slated as robbers.

It would appear they will be damned if they do and damned and if they don't.

I am so glad they have come on board, but I also know that sooner or later, and for one reason or another some fans will turn.

Re: WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM THE MALAYSIANS

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:33 am

i think ill just strap my seat belt on and go with it all, see what happening

Im just happy Riddler is gone !

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:35 am

Im happy Ive got football and a team to watch next season coz if Riddler had remained then I wouldnt like to think where we may have ended up , and maybe NOT so fortunate as Palace were yesterday ? ? Excuse me for swearing now but " Swansea " did ok last season on restricted wages and transfer fees so maybe CCFC can do a bit of a compromise between them and a gamble and maybe see how next season goes . To finish 4th was a major achievement to say the least and id take that again this time next year ! :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:37 am

I expect them to increase the revenue coming into this club and then spend it wisely on the playing field. Hopefully in some way we will be tied up with the Berjaya Group and receive funding from that as an advertising vehicle for new projects the Malaysians intend on running in the UK.

I am willing to wait whilst proper investment goes into the Academy and Marketing Departments.

In the meantime I have always thought transfer fees are a waste of money. It is better to look at the Bosman/Loan market and pick up a bargain here and there so I presume the Malaysians will do that.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:42 am

Gwyn, I think it will take time. The essence of all this is marketing. If they get it right, (far East and UK) the club will reap the profits. The profits will in turn, be reinvested into the club and back again into marketing. So on and on it go's.

Time is the word I reckon. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:52 am

i am willing to wait for succes if need be because i think the championship is a cracking division it's very competitive with big clubs and good crowds, i wouldn't want them to gamble everything on promotion but to be honest if we can keep our best players and strenghten wisely in midfield and centre back i don't think it would cost an huge amount to get this club up :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:55 am

as long as they stabilise things and dont spend cash we didnt have like sam or ridsdale , then they are in my good books

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:04 am

put it this way these malaysians aint going to put 6 million quid in and travel half way around the world to piss about for a few years they will invest they need to get a return and the only way for that is the prem league they arent interested in ticking over thats for sure

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:14 am

Gwyn, whatever their time-frame is I'm sure that with their past business success we'll get where we all want to be. I'm thrilled to have them on board, bro.

StT.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:32 am

BigGwynram wrote:I strongly believe they will put this club on the right road, but how do others see it going. Are you prepared to wait 5 or 6 years and build patiently or do you want them to go gung oh and splash the cash bearing in mind what has happened in recent years.

Whether we like it or not, to take the next step up, sooner or later we are going to have to pay the wages that the better players can get elsewhere if we aren't prepared to pay them why would the come to our club.

Do we expect the owners to gamble and go for it, because as far as I can see it, when other owners have gambled and it ain't quite come off, we then turn on them saying they have been reckless, wasted money etc.

It would appear that as fans, we are looking for someone to take the gamble, but only risk their money and if it goes wrong they are the losers. It would also appear that heaven forbid they are succesful,make money and walk away from the club with a profit, they would then be slated as robbers.

I am so glad they have come on board, but I also know that sooner or later, and for one reason or another some fans will turn.

Gwyn

What has encouraged me already is the fact that they have so obviously grasped how much wasted and unnecessary spending there has been in the past.

1)The new executive directors have been recruited at a far lower cost than those they have replaced.

2) eliminating/reducing other off field costs - many of which were down to costly errors such as the JFH debacle , the excessive legal costs re Langston , stadium fit-out costs , big interest bills on debts can also be avoided in the future which will save the club literally millions.

3) moving on players that weren`t being given a look-in in playing terms (for whatever reasons) frees up playing staff costs without weakening the squad.

4) if the above cost savings are implemented then , together with a better commercial and marketing plan (wouldn`t be difficult to be better than the current one) , especially a properly developed and run Premier Club scheme that would free up enough cash to improve the playing squad without taking too much financial risk.

Based on the above , being finnacially prudent off the field and ambitious on it may not necessarily be mutually exclusive for our new major investors.

Keith

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:40 am

Excellent post Gwyn, and an impressive maturity in the replies.

If I was TG reading this I'd be a happy man.

The club CAN run at a profit, and given good management can be stadily built up to being a genuine consistent force in the Championship. And from there, eventually we will go up. In the meantime the infrastructure of the club can be fine tuned. Build a support base which can fill the ground, make the club part of the Community of South Wales, make the Academy the best for miles, bring in young players who can improve and build it

The culture in the Far East is much more long term and so I expect the goals to be more long term.

I certainly feel more comfortable about our future than I have for many years.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Our Debts sorted/stability and a clear out of the rotten wood, then ONWARDS and UPWARDS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:10 pm

The last thing we as fans should do is put pressure on the new Board to bring overnight success. We all know that we came within a hair's breadth of oblivion thanks to Ridsdale's profligate spending and the old Board's dereliction of duty in letting him do it. TG's already talked of top 2, which may have increased expectations beyond what's reasonable at this stage but if we can do it without going bust, I won't complain.

Right now, I'm just glad we've got a club to support. Personally, I've always felt that this division is Cardiff City's natural level but it would be lovely to have some seasons in the sun before I pop my clogs. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:17 pm

So long as we have a football club to support I'm going to support whatever they do to make sure our club is put on a good footing.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:37 pm

since62 wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:I strongly believe they will put this club on the right road, but how do others see it going. Are you prepared to wait 5 or 6 years and build patiently or do you want them to go gung oh and splash the cash bearing in mind what has happened in recent years.

Gwyn

What has encouraged me already is the fact that they have so obviously grasped how much wasted and unnecessary spending there has been in the past.

1)The new executive directors have been recruited at a far lower cost than those they have replaced.

2) eliminating/reducing other off field costs - many of which were down to costly errors such as the JFH debacle , the excessive legal costs re Langston , stadium fit-out costs , big interest bills on debts can also be avoided in the future which will save the club literally millions.

3) moving on players that weren`t being given a look-in in playing terms (for whatever reasons) frees up playing staff costs without weakening the squad.

4) if the above cost savings are implemented then , together with a better commercial and marketing plan (wouldn`t be difficult to be better than the current one) , especially a properly developed and run Premier Club scheme that would free up enough cash to improve the playing squad without taking too much financial risk.

Based on the above , being finnacially prudent off the field and ambitious on it may not necessarily be mutually exclusive for our new major investors.

Keith

club has already shaved off £715k a year in wages with the departures of ridsdale, flitcroft, gareth davies and david spencer
to back what Keith says, tha alone shows the crazy spending of the Ridsdale era

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Great replies, but this board has a lot of sensible real fans on here,most of us are realistic and let's hope it stays like that, however we are all aware of how fickle some of ourfans can be, it is up to the sensible ones amongst us to "keep it real" it ain't all going to be easy and painless, but I am confident with the right business plan which it would appear they are now putting in place, we can do it, and do it properly.

It breaks my heart to see and find out how much Ridsdale squandered and miss managed, hopefully things can be put straight and we can restore some confidence.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Fair play with this new realism I look forward to January and the endless threads calling for the board to forego any signings during the window due the cost ;)

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:32 pm

in jan, feb,march we feared we wouldnt have a club to support,

so lets not get to far ahead of ourselves and be realistic,(which most are) these malaysians are clever businnesmen that seem to have there heart set on success at cardiff city, this will NOT be done by dave jones being given an open cheque book.

it will be done by slowly wittling through long serving problems at the club. eg, wages, marketing of the club in the CORRECT manner, and getting rid of dead wood, playing staff and club staff, which is being done.

i feel this year will be succesful but done in a quiet assured professional manner.

you wont even know they are there, which will come as a welcome change.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:37 pm

milly44 wrote:in jan, feb,march we feared we wouldnt have a club to support,

so lets not get to far ahead of ourselves and be realistic,(which most are) these malaysians are clever businnesmen that seem to have there heart set on success at cardiff city, this will NOT be done by dave jones being given an open cheque book.

it will be done by slowly wittling through long serving problems at the club. eg, wages, marketing of the club in the CORRECT manner, and getting rid of dead wood, playing staff and club staff, which is being done.

i feel this year will be succesful but done in a quiet assured professional manner.

you wont even know they are there, which will come as a welcome change.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:41 pm

I think we will see some common sense running of the finances,Some progress with the marketing/selling of the club to other investers/businesses/fans.....and I expect them to keep us in the championship and challenging for a top six position.
I hope our fans dont expect too much,too soon....we have seen what that can lead to, and that was nearly losing the club.
lets be patient and get behind the new board,the manager and the players...and if that means another 5 years in the championship...well would that be all bad.....remember its better than Halifax or Barnet. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Obviously I want to see us go one better than last season. Thats going to mean keeping our best players and strengthening the squad. So any cost cutting behind the scenes is going to be gobbled up on the pitch. I personally feel that for this to work for the Malaysians then they are going to have to do this.

However if they revert to a Swansea type club and can get us challenging for a top spot or at least a play off position I can live with that. I would go so far ot accept a mid table finish providing we dont have the tax man knocking on our door.

If we end up in a relegation fight then I can see some fans turning but I cant see us going that way.

Tbh as its the Malaysians first season in charge I think I would settle for a comfortable season regardless where we finish providng its not relegation.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Sensibly run off the field but using their personal cash to get us a new manager and spend £100m of Vincents stash propelling us to Champions League finalists the year after next. :ayatollah: