Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Wage Bill

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:00 pm

Do you believe Terry Phillips' article in today's Echo about the club's wage bill? Firstly he claimed the wage bill 'was around £11m' but during the recent problems with the HMRC is was well documented that the club had a wage bill of £1.2m per month or £14.4m per year.

The wage bill would be lower in May, June and July because there would be no appearance, goal or other bonuses paid, but being extremely generous that at most would shave £1m off the bill leaving £13.4m

City operated with a squad of 29 players last year which works out at £8,885 p/w.

However, six players Mathews, Wildig, Meades, Magennis, Morris and Jarvis were Acadamy players and were probably on no more than £1k p/w each.

That means the rest of the 23 man squad were on an average of £10,773 p/w, even though TP claims there was an internal wage cap of £10k p/w which was only exceeded by Chopra's £15k p/w.

I have to be honest the moment I see anything written by Phillips I immeadately assume it's bollocks ( because it used to be fed by Ridsdale probably still is) and I just wonder why he does it as it is not doing his credability any good.

Re: Wage Bill

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Do you believe Terry Phillips' article in today's Echo about the club's wage bill? Firstly he claimed the wage bill 'was around £11m' but during the recent problems with the HMRC is was well documented that the club had a wage bill of £1.2m per month or £14.4m per year.

The wage bill would be lower in May, June and July because there would be no appearance, goal or other bonuses paid, but being extremely generous that at most would shave £1m off the bill leaving £13.4m

City operated with a squad of 29 players last year which works out at £8,885 p/w.

However, six players Mathews, Wildig, Meades, Magennis, Morris and Jarvis were Acadamy players and were probably on no more than £1k p/w each.

That means the rest of the 23 man squad were on an average of £10,773 p/w, even though TP claims there was an internal wage cap of £10k p/w which was only exceeded by Chopra's £15k p/w.

I have to be honest the moment I see anything written by Phillips I immeadately assume it's bollocks ( because it used to be fed by Ridsdale probably still is) and I just wonder why he does it as it is not doing his credability any good.

Tony, Terry lost all my Respect the last few years he may as well worked for the Riddler, Sam calls Terry a brown nose :lol:

NO 100%, that article is Total Garbage in MY OPINION.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Do you believe Terry Phillips' article in today's Echo about the club's wage bill? Firstly he claimed the wage bill 'was around £11m' but during the recent problems with the HMRC is was well documented that the club had a wage bill of £1.2m per month or £14.4m per year.

I guess the figure TP is using is the 'football' side wage bill.

The other figure would be the total wage bill including all the admin, boardroom etc..

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Lawnmower wrote:

The other figure would be the total wage bill including all the admin, boardroom etc..

That's fair comment but it would mean Riddler and his mates were screwing the difference £2.4m.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

That's fair comment but it would mean Riddler and his mates were screwing the difference £2.4m.

Sounds about right.

The other thing is sometimes they quote wages with emplyers NI as the 'wage-bill' and sometimes without. Would make about 10% difference.