Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City - hidden talented youngsters?

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:00 pm

*He's playing quite happily with his school friends in the playground! He's always first to be picked.

*He's 10yrs old, he doesnt play in a team. He was ignored in school when sports was on the agenda, but now, in his back garden he's doing 300-400 kick ups without so much as a wobble, his rolling the ball round his head and arms, His mum and dad sit and watch him in amazement, but don't know how to approach anyone, they don't have the money.

*He's sitting watching his local team playing on the parks on a cold frosty morning, he's a substitute, he doesn't get a chance because the manager always picks his favourites! ( ;) ) or prefers to put his families and friends kids in the first team, He knows he can make it, he knows he can do well, But he doesn't get the chance.

*He's part of an act that tours the country, he kicks ball's through holes as small as the ball itself, he can do amazing tricks that stun the crowd, He performs new and original tricks with a football that have never been seen before, where does he come up with this stuff?

*He's in my team, he plays every week, players know him from all over the division, they know he's good, I know he's good - they respect him on the pitch. But, He doesn't know how good he is - He doesn't want to make a big deal of it, He doesn't want to fail. He's happy as he is, or is he?

These boy's exist, they are out there. They just need to be found.
If britain's got talent can find people like Susan Boyle, Diversity & Paul Potts, Why can't Cardiff City find these boys.

My point is simple, Open days. (unfilmed! x-factor or even britains got talent style days if you like) Where nominated, selected and self volunteered potential footballers can come and attend special open days, where CCFC Scouts put them through a series of trials, games and tests to discover the potential of any of these special kids that don't or won't get the opportunity to show just how important they could be to the community, to football and Cardiff City FC?

I know the Academy works kind of on a similar basis, taking on youngsters, then bringing them up through the years, to hone in their abilities and talents. But im talking about the MISSED talent, ones that would include those that may be slightly passed the age of acceptance? and so on.

Yes, it will cost money, and probably lots of it, but surely - a great way for the lesser financially well off, lesser educated, and the lesser touted lads that don't get to show off their talents on a daily basis, to be FOUND?

Is this a good post, I don't know.....

Re: Cardiff City - hidden talented youngsters?

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:09 pm

A great idea but what a money making idea for the club by holding it on a saturday morning and making it an open day and then giving the option of buying cheaper family tickets for the the game in the afternoon - Most of these lads that dont play for teams will not be playing on a Saturday morning so will give them an opprtunity to shine

As you say a few drills, a few skill based events and then a few small sided games should do the trick

When my lad plays for his under nines on Sunday mornings I have seen far to many jumped up kids saying look at me i play for Cardiff City academy - unfortunatey with attitudes like that they wont go far

A good post

:ayatollah:

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Dobbin wrote:A great idea but what a money making idea for the club by holding it on a saturday morning and making it an open day and then giving the option of buying cheaper family tickets for the the game in the afternoon - Most of these lads that dont play for teams will not be playing on a Saturday morning so will give them an opprtunity to shine

As you say a few drills, a few skill based events and then a few small sided games should do the trick

When my lad plays for his under nines on Sunday mornings I have seen far to many jumped up kids saying look at me i play for Cardiff City academy - unfortunatey with attitudes like that they wont go far

A good post

:ayatollah:

Thanks Dobbs. I wasn't sure whether to click [submit] or not! ;)

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:17 pm

very good post m8 :ayatollah: I understand what you mean on your post, I work in a leisure centre in cardiff and see kids aged 8-12 every day always wanting to play football ( a lot of them new cardiff fans too) :ayatollah:

I coach football to the boys in my leisure centre and last thursday I spoke to 2 of them who I believe are very good players and you can see the difference compared to the other boys playing football,

I asked both of them who do they play football for?

One of them is aged 9 and he said to me that he plays for st albans with his friends but is also part of the cardiff city academy :) so I told him keep working hard at cardiff and hopefully he can do well for himself.

and the other kid who is 11 I asked him would you like to play for cardiff and he said "yes" I also asked the question who does he play for? he told me that he dont play for any one which shocked me because he is a very good player with good skill, pace and technique so I told him that I will get him some contact information for him to try and get into the summer schools at cardiff and hopefully get picked for the academy :ayatollah:

So does anyone know any contact number or email I can give to the kid so he can get a place at a summer schools or academy trail to try his luck at getting into the club?

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:49 pm

posted this earlier when most people were still in work.....

what you think ?