Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: THOSE WHO ARE BIG DAVE JONES FANS

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:05 am

Doesn't he run a sports injury clinic? I'm sure there used to be one under his name in Caxton Place Newport at one time (might even still be there :lol: )[/quote]

not comment tony.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:37 am

ashusrt did well to get us promoted but soon pissed off to sunderland

lets not pretend he had any loyalty to cardiff city lads !!

and when he came back he did sod all

a minor figure compared to dave jones

Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 pm

best football played by cardiff city in modern times was in 1975-76 under jimmy andrews

best manager in recent memory still has to be jimmy scoular
two near promotion misses in the old Div 2
cup winners cup semi final!!!
beating real madrid
beating sporting lisbon IN LISBON when they were the ecwc holders

he was very shrewd in the transfer market...brian harris, woodruff, brian clark etc

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:09 pm

i dont know how anyone can compare ashurst and may to dave jones. Even when u throw in the arguments about what other managers had to work with i still struggle to see ur point. My mate scroogey won the league as manager with ynyshir albions and they had to pay cons!! But so did most other teams in the league. same applies here, Eddie May did get us promoted with players on far less wages but that was in the pre-premiership days and against players who were on similar wages. Jones may be on a lot more (and i agree 800k may be a bit much) but last year he had to compete with teams like newcastle and wba and qpr who undoubted paid far higher wages than us. tho i loved the days of ashurst and eddie may lets not look back as someone said with rose tinted glasses! i often thought back in those days that i was better than some of the players i paid to watch. Anybody who used to watch, Chris fry, lee barnard, john williams, andy gorman etc surely can't really believe that we can compare our club back then with our club today! I've played against some of the players from back then since and they have been ineffective at my level, whereas i reckon if i played against chopra he would score about 10 goals!

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:31 pm

Eddie May got us promoted out of a shite league with some quality players (Ratcliffe, James, Stant, Dale, Blake etc.), some of which were on far better wages than anybody else in that division followed by a £50,000 promotion bonus if I remember rightly? That 92/93 season is probably my favourite season because we were far better than anything in that division at the time which meant 9 or 10 away wins in a row, beating our closest rivals Wrexham 3-0 away a couple of games before the end of the season etc. But how can you compare him to Dave Jones who has taken us to Wembley 3 times, got us an Fa Cup runners up medal for only the second time in our history and finished in our highest league position in 30 or 40 years and we are by no means the highest wage bill in the league. I haven't been watching City as long as you or a lot of people, only since 1988 but in my opinion Dave Jones is the best manager we have had in those 22 years without a doubt.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:04 am

Eddie May wrote:
swindonbluebird wrote:Eddie May got us promoted out of a shite league with some quality players (Ratcliffe, James, Stant, Dale, Blake etc.), some of which were on far better wages than anybody else in that division followed by a £50,000 promotion bonus if I remember rightly? That 92/93 season is probably my favourite season because we were far better than anything in that division at the time which meant 9 or 10 away wins in a row, beating our closest rivals Wrexham 3-0 away a couple of games before the end of the season etc. But how can you compare him to Dave Jones who has taken us to Wembley 3 times, got us an Fa Cup runners up medal for only the second time in our history and finished in our highest league position in 30 or 40 years and we are by no means the highest wage bill in the league. I haven't been watching City as long as you or a lot of people, only since 1988 but in my opinion Dave Jones is the best manager we have had in those 22 years without a doubt.

swindon bluebird, you must be jones no1 fan, he has no faults by reading all your posts.

jimmy andrews for me :ayatollah: no money and not ignorant.

I know he has got faults, I just don't think he has got as many as some other people do, it's all about opinions and mine is that we should be grateful to have Jones in charge. In the 22 year's I have been watching City my personal opinion is that he is the best we have had. If what it said in the Echo yesterday that we had the 10th or 11th highest wage bill in the league then what we achieved this season should be applauded, especially with no money to spend in January like he was promised. I wasn't watching City when Jimmy Andrews was in charge so I will have to take your word for it!!