Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THOSE WHO ARE BIG DAVE JONES FANS

Mon May 31, 2010 4:45 pm

Do you rate him as Our best Manager IN THE LAST 40 YEARS, Rem other managers have Won Trophies and Leagues for Cardiff City.
Eddie May did it with hardly any money and Frank Burrows.

As you know I dont rate him.

But I just wondered what the Jones Camp really thought off him ?

Re: THOSE WHO ARE BIG DAVE JONES FANS

Mon May 31, 2010 4:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Do you rate him as Our best Manager IN THE LAST 40 YEARS, Rem other managers have Won Trophies and Leagues for Cardiff City.

I'm happy with Jones, but Burrows and Ashurst got us promotion with next to nothing.

Mon May 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Do you rate him as Our best Manager IN THE LAST 40 YEARS, Rem other managers have Won Trophies and Leagues for Cardiff City.

I'm happy with Jones, but Burrows and Ashurst got us promotion with next to nothing.

Ashurst as a 14/15 year old I worshipped him lol :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 31, 2010 4:58 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

Ashurst as a 14/15 year old I worshipped him lol :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yeah, and me (bit younger), when he came back and we were sh1te I was gutted. I thought he could do miracles.

Richie morgan did OK as well, 10th in the table (old 2nd div) then he got booted out for Graham Williams who took us down I think.

Mon May 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

My 1st ever promotion was under Ashurst.

We had 5 goalies that season (Dibble, Humphries, Jim Brown, Eric Steele and 1 other). Rest of team picked itself

Linden Jones Phil Dwyer Jimmy Mullen Paul Bodin
Dave Bennett Dave Tong Roger Gibbins John Lewis
Jeff Hemmerman Bob Hatton

Sub was either Gary Bennett, Tarki Micalleff or Paul Maddy

Mon May 31, 2010 5:02 pm

Gareth, everyone of those players mean more to me than any of those today, they played for the badge :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 31, 2010 5:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Gareth, everyone of those players mean more to me than any of those today, they played for the badge :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hemmerman was my 1st ever ccfc hero. He drove about in a shitty old ford fiesta. Played for the love of it.

Mon May 31, 2010 5:07 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Gareth, everyone of those players mean more to me than any of those today, they played for the badge :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hemmerman was my 1st ever ccfc hero. He drove about in a shitty old ford fiesta. Played for the love of it.

Gareth
I Respected everyone of them and Hemmerman was one of my favourites. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 31, 2010 5:17 pm

Rose tinted spectacles spring to mind

Mon May 31, 2010 5:23 pm

Lenny Ashhursts bushy eyebrows

Mon May 31, 2010 5:32 pm

Jimmy Scholar beat real madrid at home 1-0
would have got has promotion if the then city board had have backed him .
just holding on to toshack until the end of the season would have been enough.

Mon May 31, 2010 5:38 pm

Dave Jones is a great manager. Probably the best iv seen and that goes as far back as the 80s.
Give him money and he will do great things.
Bad points about him would be he seems to have favourites and tactically he doesnt allways get it right. But fair to him we are improving every year under his guidance and when we dont improve he will go

Mon May 31, 2010 6:28 pm

yeah im in the jones camp give him more money to add to the squad and i think he wil get to premir league first promtion was under jimmy andrews

Mon May 31, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm happy with Jones, but Burrows and Ashurst got us promotion with next to nothing.[/quote]

Ashurst as a 14/15 year old I worshipped him lol :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

We had 5 goalies that season (Dibble, Humphries, Jim Brown, Eric Steele and 1 other). Rest of team picked itself

Sub was either Gary Bennett, Tarki Micalleff or Paul Maddy[/quote]

was thyat 82/83 season we beat orient home last game of season????

Mon May 31, 2010 6:31 pm

Sub was either Gary Bennett, Tarki Micalleff or Paul Maddy[/quote]

was thyat 82/83 season we beat orient home last game of season????[/quote]

Yes mate.

Mon May 31, 2010 6:38 pm

Eddie May was a good manager, but he was given a lot of money by Rick Wright to get us promoted. can any of you recall the press calling us the Blackburn of the 4th division (at that time jack walker was pumping millions into blackburn,to buy the premiership title)
Frank burrows was a fantastic manager for us twice, he did a lot of wealing and dealing for us fair play to him...getting us promoted twice...
len ashurst did ok too . along with ritchie morgan ,who did ok... our chairman at the time Bob Grogan did his best to back him in the transfer market ??? i was very young at the time so i may be wrong on that ?
But for me Dave Jones is the best we have ever had! i dont want to go over old ground ,but if it wasnt for Dj's dealings in the transfer market (working miracles) WHERE WOULD WE BE NOW ?????????????????

Mon May 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Frank Burrows had a stint at Leicester last year sometime didn't he?

Think he done quite well too.

Mon May 31, 2010 7:47 pm

ive got a one for you annis who would you rate as our best chairman,i would say rick wright he kept his word and said he would leave after two years if there was'nt no local investment he was true to his word.

Mon May 31, 2010 7:52 pm

beaky wrote:ive got a one for you annis who would you rate as our best chairman,i would say rick wright he kept his word and said he would leave after two years if there was'nt no local investment he was true to his word.

Beaky 100% agree with that, he said he would leave after 2 years and said he would not be able to take us any further :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Alo gave me and many others the one of the best ever Seasons :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 31, 2010 8:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
beaky wrote:ive got a one for you annis who would you rate as our best chairman,i would say rick wright he kept his word and said he would leave after two years if there was'nt no local investment he was true to his word.

Beaky 100% agree with that, he said he would leave after 2 years and said he would not be able to take us any further :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Alo gave me and many others the one of the best ever Seasons :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

never thought id see the day you would say sam hamman was'nt our best chairman,you must have a brain after all. :lol: :lol:

Mon May 31, 2010 8:06 pm

beaky wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

never thought id see the day you would say sam hamman was'nt our best chairman,you must have a brain after all. :lol: :lol:

:lol:

If I am Honest I preferred that Season more than any off Sams :ayatollah:

Mon May 31, 2010 8:06 pm

beaky wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

:lol:

If I am Honest I preferred that Season more than any off Sams :ayatollah:

Mon May 31, 2010 9:20 pm

I started watching City in the early 90's - and Eddie May was my hero back then. :ayatollah:

Mon May 31, 2010 9:28 pm

Jimmy Scoular was a great guy. Passion by the bucket full.

Asst Manager that was a great laugh was Brian Harris, I remember he slung Tony Clemo over the side of his yacht in Majorca!!

Mon May 31, 2010 9:39 pm

my 1st season following Cardiff was 1975 / 76 season when Jimmy Andrews got us promoted from the old 3rd division with quality signings like Mike England , Adrian Alston and Tony Evans . Add the best ever defender that City have ever had in Phil Dwyer and the shrewd purchase of Alan Campbell :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:47 am

How can you compare any of those managers to Dave Jones :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would take losing in the championship play off and FA cup finals over winning league 2 anyday of the week.

If they were as good as him they wouldnt be in charge of teams in the bottom leagues.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:37 am

kingdong wrote:How can you compare any of those managers to Dave Jones :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would take losing in the championship play off and FA cup finals over winning league 2 anyday of the week.

If they were as good as him they wouldnt be in charge of teams in the bottom leagues.

They had peanuts to spend and wages of a few hundred pound per player and crowds of 4,000. DJ has had millions to spend and wages of £20,000 a week.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:42 am

kingdong wrote:How can you compare any of those managers to Dave Jones :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you judge by resources against achievement then Jones is well down the list IMO. Far from beinging starved of money he has received huge backing from player sales since 2005 to invest in transfer fees and wages. Whilst he has made final's he has choked everytime on the big stage and that's not good enough.

I think Frank Burrows produced the best achievements considering the amount of backing he got. Also he probably found the best player produced by Cardiff City (prior to Aaron Ramsey) in Mark Delaney who had a sustained successful career at Premiership level with Aston Villa.

Best Chairman easily was Sam Hammam. Basically we could eraze every other Chairman from history and it wouldn't make much of a difference, but take SH out and the second golden era of Cardiff City would never have happened.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:38 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

jeff hemmerman :twisted:
my dislike for him is on a par with dave jones :lol:

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:54 am

milly44 wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

jeff hemmerman :twisted:
my dislike for him is on a par with dave jones :lol:

Doesn't he run a sports injury clinic? I'm sure there used to be one under his name in Caxton Place Newport at one time (might even still be there :lol: )