Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Flying

Sun May 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Ok, how many of you on the forum are afraid of flying or got any stories relating to having a terrifying flight??
personally I'm not a great fan, but it has to be done if we want to go on holiday. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Disclaimer - due to the huge amount of replys I get from my posted topics, i regret that I can't reply to all ;) ;) :oops: :oops:

Re: Flying

Sun May 30, 2010 9:09 pm

I am shit scared of flying and am not ashamed to admit it, the only 3 things in life that scare me are flying, wasps and lightening.

So if im ever in a plane and there is a wasp in the cabin and its lightening outside then i know the end is nigh. :lol:

Serious though i have to take medication and sink quite a few beers with it before i even consider getting on a plane.

Sun May 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Hate it had a few scares flying back from oz engine failure coming into zurich got on same plane back to london shit myself also hit bad turbelence on way back from canariies guy died on plane also had a right off in linekers bar and met some nasty west ham in another bar appy days :D :D :D

Sun May 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi Nobby, I know what you mean, but can I ask you where do you think your fear of flying comes from?
I've travelled quite a lot and it's only the last few years that I've been bricking it when on a plane, and just like you, I have to have a good couple of beers to get the courage, which is why I started this topic, to make sure I'm not the only one :D
My mate reckons it's because I'm/we are not in control of the situation. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 30, 2010 9:22 pm

jackblue wrote:Hate it had a few scares flying back from oz engine failure coming into zurich got on same plane back to london shit myself also hit bad turbelence on way back from canariies guy died on plane also had a right off in linekers bar and met some nasty west ham in another bar appy days :D :D :D

What Airline was you flying with back from Oz mate?

Sun May 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Marc wrote:Hi Nobby, I know what you mean, but can I ask you where do you think your fear of flying comes from?
I've travelled quite a lot and it's only the last few years that I've been bricking it when on a plane, and just like you, I have to have a good couple of beers to get the courage, which is why I started this topic, to make sure I'm not the only one :D
My mate reckons it's because I'm/we are not in control of the situation. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I think its exactly that, i am not in control and if i were flying the plane myself i dont think i would have any fear. The slightest noise and i panic and if the engines make a different noise i think its the end, apart from that im fine except for take off, landing and the bit in between. :lol:

Sun May 30, 2010 9:31 pm

Marc wrote:
jackblue wrote:Hate it had a few scares flying back from oz engine failure coming into zurich got on same plane back to london shit myself also hit bad turbelence on way back from canariies guy died on plane also had a right off in linekers bar and met some nasty west ham in another bar appy days :D :D :D

What Airline was you flying with back from Oz mate?

Ave a guess garuda!!!

Sun May 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Didn't Koumas and Parry take the bus to Norwich a few seasons ago whilst the rest of the team went by plane?

Oh well, with the cost cutting next season they'll be travelling to Norwich by bike next season anyway.

Sun May 30, 2010 9:36 pm

davids wrote:Didn't Koumas and Parry take the bus to Norwich a few seasons ago whilst the rest of the team went by plane?

Oh well, with the cost cutting next season they'll be travelling to Norwich by bike next season anyway.

Not sure about Koumas but i know Parry is terrified of flying, he is also terrified of anything else i.e tackling, getting tackled,being shouted at, aka Pansy. :lol:

Sun May 30, 2010 9:39 pm

nobby wrote:
Marc wrote:Hi Nobby, I know what you mean, but can I ask you where do you think your fear of flying comes from?

I think its exactly that, i am not in control and if i were flying the plane myself i dont think i would have any fear. The slightest noise and i panic and if the engines make a different noise i think its the end, apart from that im fine except for take off, landing and the bit in between. :lol:

Nobby that made me :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's weird though, I've flown to Oz and back 4 times and didn't blink an eye, but a few years ago I was on a BMI flight from Amsterdam to London in December and there was a massive snow storm in Schiphol and all the flights were being cancelled, except mine, I boarded and we were on the runway for 4 hours, di-iced 3 times, and had to move to different runways as air traffic control were shutting them down, I thought they were going to take us off and put us in a hotel......but no the captain had better ideas, when we took off in the storm, it was mental, the plane was going everywhere (struggling to get altitude)
that's where I think my fear of flying comes from.

Sun May 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Marc wrote:
nobby wrote:

Nobby that made me :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's weird though, I've flown to Oz and back 4 times and didn't blink an eye, but a few years ago I was on a BMI flight from Amsterdam to London in December and there was a massive snow storm in Schiphol and all the flights were being cancelled, except mine, I boarded and we were on the runway for 4 hours, di-iced 3 times, and had to move to different runways as air traffic control were shutting them down, I thought they were going to take us off and put us in a hotel......but no the captain had better ideas, when we took off in the storm, it was mental, the plane was going everywhere (struggling to get altitude)
that's where I think my fear of flying comes from.

I have flown numerous times, and apart from some slight turbelence i have never endured a bad flight, if i had i dont think i will ever fly again. If i was on the flight that you described i think i would have shat myself a few times and had numerous panic attacks, and quite possibly tried to fly the thing myself. :lol:

Mon May 31, 2010 9:36 am

one of the DJ`s on real radio was talking about his best man at his wedding who is a pilot for a major airline.
He only flies trans atlantic and was saying that his company (who he couldnt name on the air) actually encourages the pilots to sleep whilst in auto pilot.
He said if anyone listening has been on long haul then the chances are your pilot has had a kip on the way.
He also went on to say that one time over the atlantic he and his co-pilot went to sleep and were woken with a little "bing bong" (which in fact was the auto pilot kicking out)
The DJ asked him what he did, he then said "oh i just re-set it and went back to sleep"

Mon May 31, 2010 9:38 am

we had emergency landing in venice last year. the steering went on the plane, scary stuff. fire engines waiting on runway too whilst on way to greece.

Mon May 31, 2010 11:42 am

nobby wrote:I am shit scared of flying and am not ashamed to admit it, the only 3 things in life that scare me are flying, wasps and lightening.

So if im ever in a plane and there is a wasp in the cabin and its lightening outside then i know the end is nigh. :lol:

Serious though i have to take medication and sink quite a few beers with it before i even consider getting on a plane.

what would you do if there was a wasp on your plane and lightening outside? lol