Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THERE IS JUST SOMETHING ABOUT PLAYING "MILLWALL"

Sun May 30, 2010 8:56 am

In the 70's it was prob the most frightening place to go to, there are so many tales to be told (read Diary of The Real Soul Crew "1" ) :lol:
The Old Den was frightening and I have Visited 3 times and have been lucky to come away in one piece each time.

Now the New Den I have Visited it on everyone off Cardiff's Visits, New Stadium, spent fortunes on trying to change their image.

But its not about them being Hooligans, its their Supporters Passion and Loyalty and Docklands background that makes them still so Special.
In 1998 I took 3 coaches there on a Tuesday Night in the mickey mouse Auto/Leyland Daf Trophy, We only had about 300 Fans in total, their Crowd was less than 2,000(approx) Yet THE ATMOSPHERE WAS ELECTRIC, from both sets off fans, NO one Sat down the whole game, just Banter/chanting at each other for 90 minutes even though we lost 2 nil.

At home in the same Cup a year later they only brought 60 fans but once again Electric Atmosphere.

ITS A MUST TRIP and KEEPS ALIVE A REAL FOOTBALL ATMOSPHERE . :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

OPINIONS PLEASE

Re: THERE IS JUST SOMETHING ABOUT PLAYING "MILLWALL"

Sun May 30, 2010 9:09 am

book me a seat on the bus please :D

never been sounds like a buzz

Sun May 30, 2010 9:10 am

The Premier 1 wrote:book me a seat on the bus please :D

never been sounds like a buzz

:ayatollah:
Thats what I like to hear Andy :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I reckon WE should take Our Own Coach from This Forum :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 30, 2010 9:19 am

Definately one of "my" must do trips - and i am glad to say there is a few that are going to be good this season :D - looking forward to starting again - roll on August :lol:

Have to decide about taking the boy little nearer the time - see what the opinions are....

Sun May 30, 2010 9:20 am

It's a place I'm dying to go to, hopefully the dates are kind. :ayatollah:

Sun May 30, 2010 9:22 am

I remember Going there for the 3rd round F.A. cup game in 87 (if my memory serves me correctly). And ur right it was one of the most frightening places Ive been to.

The walk from New cross gate station seemed to take hours but fortunatly I think everyone came back in one piece. :ayatollah:

Sun May 30, 2010 9:30 am

I know this will sound daft but I love my local history and looking at ruins from the Celtic, Roman, Saxon or Norman periods in history. Yesterday I went over to Bath to view the Roman Baths and it is amazing to think they constructed such a building nearly 2,000 years ago.

Over the years I have been saddened that great football grounds have been demolished including our very own Ninian Park' As I witnessed NP going down I always wondered if just one of these true 'football' grounds could be granted listed status and kept for future generations to view, in the same way I now look at the Roman Baths or Caerphilly Castle?

One ground I would have loved to have been kept was 'The Den' it was a brilliant place (provided you survived the trip) :lol: it even provided a handy floodlight you could hide behind on the away end ;) but the whole experience of a football game was completely unquie to that ground.

On that note I always found the Millwall fans sound as a pound (away from the ground) and I even had a pint in the New Cross pub many years ago without any problems. Others might have different views but the old Den was a classic.

Sun May 30, 2010 9:36 am

I be there :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 30, 2010 9:45 am

ccfcbluebird wrote:I remember Going there for the 3rd round F.A. cup game in 87 (if my memory serves me correctly). And ur right it was one of the most frightening places Ive been to.

The walk from New cross gate station seemed to take hours but fortunatly I think everyone came back in one piece. :ayatollah:

I remember that day very well

Sun May 30, 2010 9:57 am

Still got a scar on my chin from my last visit there :? scary place was the old den :?

Sun May 30, 2010 10:03 am

Went to the Old Den twice, what an atmosphere for small crowds. Also been to the new ground. Anyone go to the Newport Everton match when the Cardiff Millwall match was called off. There was about 2000 Everton, 300 Cardiff and 50 Millwall all in the same end. There were police segregation lines seperating the various fans.

Sun May 30, 2010 10:15 am

I was at the Old Den the day we gave them a 4 - 0 thrashing , cant wait for a visit to the New Den . Most prob be a bubble I guess ?? :ayatollah:

Sun May 30, 2010 10:52 am

Magners wrote:Went to the Old Den twice, what an atmosphere for small crowds. Also been to the new ground. Anyone go to the Newport Everton match when the Cardiff Millwall match was called off. There was about 2000 Everton, 300 Cardiff and 50 Millwall all in the same end. There were police segregation lines seperating the various fans.

Yes Rem it well and Cardiff were the Governors that day :lol:

Sun May 30, 2010 11:02 am

Magners wrote:Went to the Old Den twice, what an atmosphere for small crowds. Also been to the new ground. Anyone go to the Newport Everton match when the Cardiff Millwall match was called off. There was about 2000 Everton, 300 Cardiff and 50 Millwall all in the same end. There were police segregation lines seperating the various fans.

ha yes I went to that Newport v Everton game too. We has a section of our own on the Railway end ..- dont think owt happened thou.

Sun May 30, 2010 12:19 pm

I cant wait

Sun May 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Never been Annis,Would love to join the forum bus for this outing. :ayatollah:

Sun May 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Bowmonster wrote:Never been Annis,Would love to join the forum bus for this outing. :ayatollah:
where have you been BM??

Sun May 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Yeh i suppose trapping them in the Grandstand and kicking shit out of them springs to mind. :lol: :lol:

Sun May 30, 2010 3:22 pm

Been to the Den twice, both in 78 [march & December]. The March game was not long after the Wall had played Ipswich in an F.A. cup game which turned into a mass riot. I remember the coach driving through the streets near the ground & all the windows to the houses all boarded up, like driving through a war zone.

Mon May 31, 2010 5:02 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:
Bowmonster wrote:Never been Annis,Would love to join the forum bus for this outing. :ayatollah:
where have you been BM??

Been away in Cornwall with work Baz and also took me a while to try and get over wembley.
I am touched you missed me :lol: