Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Splash the Cash or Tighten the grip ?

Sat May 29, 2010 11:33 am

There is a lot of speculation surrounding the Malaysian investment and how they will take the club forward in the quest for the promotion.

My take on it is that they have told DJ they will back him in the transfer market, otherwise, I believe, DJ would not be with us now. I think that the Malaysians will spend money on players but will move players on too to counter balance, thus ending our need to just sell, sell, sell.

I believe that they are offering Joe Ledley a contract so they do not lose a player, who only 16 months ago was the subject of a £6 million bid, for absolutely nothing. If Joe signs then we know the type of player we have and saves us having to get another player in to fill his boots. It makes good business practice.

They have already started doing things correctly by employing the likes of Gethin Jenkins on a much reduced wage than Peter Ridsdale was on and hopefully we have someone who can do a more effective job too. I like the way Gethin spoke and the way he explained the direction in which the club is going, gave me hope.

So in short there seems to be an expectation amongst fans that they will spend, spend, spend but I dont think that is the case and they will be cautious but will modestly back Dave Jones.

Re: Splash the Cash or Tighten the grip ?

Sat May 29, 2010 11:38 am

They seem to know exactly what they are doing.

Back Jones in the transfer market but dont offer stupid wages. :ayatollah:

Sat May 29, 2010 11:52 am

It does not always make sense to flash money about this early.....clubs get a sniff of it and the price of players goes up....when Sam first came to the club we paid way over the odds for some players because other clubs percieved us as rich,big spenders.

Sat May 29, 2010 12:48 pm

In my opinion Jones would never have stayed if the Malaysians did not agree to back him in the transfer market.

DJ wanted 4 new players in January but got none but still managed to get us into 4th place and the play off final, although his weakness of having no plan B backfired on us yet again.

But im willing to give DJ the benefit of the doubt and with financial backing im sure he can build a squad more than capable of getting us in the top 2 and hopefully enabling him to finally have a plan B if needed. Give him 10-15 games and see where we are then. :ayatollah:

I dont think that the Malaysians will throw money at us, at the end of the day they are business men and business men are generally very shrewd when it comes to money so they will probably want DJ to build a quality squad but as cheaply as possible, or unless we do sell players and ALL that money is put into the transfer kitty as well.

Whatever happens and whoever we sign the future of our club seems to be in great hands and i am very impressed by the Malaysians attitude and plans for future. GREAT TIMES AHEAD IT SEEMS. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: