Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: WHAT I HAVE LEARNED TODAY

Sat May 29, 2010 3:22 pm

NJ73 wrote:How can Tan be the majority shareholder when the Malaysians only own 36.75% of the shares? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, surely the agreement with Sam means any income from stadium naming rights goes directly to him and will therefore not be worth millions to the club?

out of all the shareholders he has the most shares.

Yes Sam's agreement does state Sam will get £5 million for promotion or the stadium naming rights, it's either or not both, and depending how much the naming rights are sold for it could be worth millions to the club.

Sat May 29, 2010 3:28 pm

carlccfc wrote:
NJ73 wrote:How can Tan be the majority shareholder when the Malaysians only own 36.75% of the shares? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, surely the agreement with Sam means any income from stadium naming rights goes directly to him and will therefore not be worth millions to the club?

Yes Sam's agreement does state Sam will get £5 million for promotion or the stadium naming rights, it's either or not both, and depending how much the naming rights are sold for it could be worth millions to the club.

That makes him the largest shareholder, not the majority shareholder. There's a world of difference between the two.

My understanding was that Sam was to get £5m on promotion and Sam was to get the income from naming rights in return for writing £9m off his debt?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonl ... -26355011/

Sat May 29, 2010 3:33 pm

NJ73 wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

That makes him the largest shareholder, not the majority shareholder. There's a world of difference between the two.

My understanding was that Sam was to get £5m on promotion and Sam was to get the income from naming rights in return for writing £9m off his debt?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonl ... -26355011/

Your understanding is from a long time ago, it has changed to what I said.

Are you sure Sludge were'nt asking me who was the majority shareholder between Tan and TG ;)

Sat May 29, 2010 3:35 pm

carlccfc wrote:

Are you sure Sludge were'nt asking me who was the majority shareholder between Tan and TG ;)

So Sam has been well and truly shafted then?

Sat May 29, 2010 3:36 pm

NJ73 wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

So Sam has been well and truly shafted then?

Sam knew he had very little option unfortunately.

Sat May 29, 2010 4:36 pm

carlccfc wrote:I have been in conversations with someone who is close to TG and Vincent Tan and he has given me some lowdown on some of the dealings that is happening and also how the Malaysian consortium is made up.

Firstly the Malaysians have taken 36.75% of shares and of those shares the split is TG 10% and Vincent Tan 90%, so TG has used £600k of his money and Vincent Tan £5.4 million of his. He says that you can expect a steadily run club and not to expect "Abramovich' Chelsea style spending, but more like a Fulham." For those who have asked previously he told me that Vincent Tan is worth 1.25 billion in sterling.

Throughout Vincent Tan's Berjaya group there is a subsidiary called COSWAY, a direct sales company, and that Tan likes the idea of using this COSWAY as our shirt sponsor for next season.
logo.gif

Another fact he told me about is that there is negotiations already underway with a Chinese company for the Stadium Naming Rights which will be worth millions to the club over a sustained period. I was asked not to say anymore on this particular deal and therefore will not.

There is some great news amongst that and I am very excited as a City fan to be part of these times. It is ONWARDS AND UPWARDS :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Nice one Pal very informative as ever ... :thumbup:

Mon May 31, 2010 12:38 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonl ... -26355011/[/quote]

Are you sure Sludge were'nt asking me who was the majority shareholder between Tan and TG ;)[/quote]

So, just to clarify Carl, sam no longer gets the first £9m of stadium naming rights or £5m if we go up ?

I thought this was still part of the latest agreement with him.

Mon May 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Tim, the agreement is Sam will get £5 million for the stadium naming rights or £5 million if we gain promotion, whichever comes first.

Sam is owed £10 million plus the £5 million ' bonus' if it is settled this year, then it goes up by £1 million each year until 2016 where the debt has to be paid and could be as much as £15 million plus the £5 million 'bonus'.

So to clarify Sam will get £15 minimum and £20 million maximum.

Mon May 31, 2010 5:32 pm

carlccfc wrote:Tim, the agreement is Sam will get £5 million for the stadium naming rights or £5 million if we gain promotion, whichever comes first.

Sam is owed £10 million plus the £5 million ' bonus' if it is settled this year, then it goes up by £1 million each year until 2016 where the debt has to be paid and could be as much as £15 million plus the £5 million 'bonus'.

So to clarify Sam will get £15 minimum and £20 million maximum.

Cheers Carl.

Thats a bit better, but I can't see anyone paying over £5m for the stadium naming rights.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:44 pm

taffyapple wrote:Somebody needs to speak to Borley about the Stewarding inside the CCS. Perhaps
now the ground has been 'broken in' a lot of 'singers' will relocate to closer to the
Grange End, but it was the atmosphere beat Leicester in both those home games.
It was electric, intimidating and uplifting. But standing is going to happen, and the
club need to realise this, do we want fans standing up, getting massively behind the
team. Or do we want to go back to the sterile ground that the CCS started off as???

whats wrong with the stewarding in the stadium, I may be biast but i think our stewards do a good job :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:23 pm

The logo's almost as bad as the 777 one we had briefly :lol:

It does sound as if Tan will be using the club as an advertising tool for his other ventures too.
That can only be a good thing though, as it'll mean more money for the club, and from their point of view a premiership will be hugely more beneficial than a championship club as far as advertising goes.