Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' David Marshall '

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:37 am

' David Marshall Cardiff City his future '

David Marshal who was wanted by numerous clubs this summer after an impressive season in the Premier League, has from day one let Ole Gunnar Solskjaer know where he wanted to play this coming season and that is with Cardiff City.

Marshall is settled with his family in Cardiff and has no intentions of leaving. There were talks of City wanting £10 million for him and to date no bid near that was ever reached.
Arsenal showed interest,but Marshal had no intentions of being their number two and there for declined to even discuss terms with them.
" I am happy at Cardiff and sharing the Captains armband with Huds is an honour "

Marshall had two surprises for us yesterday, first he was fit to play and he will be captain when Mark Hudson doesn’t play.

Marsh looked certain to be ruled out after dislocating a finger at Yeovil, but he recovered faster than expected and Solskjaer said: “I didn’t think he would be ready, but David was desperate to play and came through with no problems.”

Marshall did make way for Simon Moore after 70 minutes – Joe Lewis, City’s third senior keeper, was missing as his wife is about to have a baby, but he will be fit to play against Blackburn Rovers,where he will be Marshals number two.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed that Marshall will wear the armband when Hudson is not in the team and with two new centre-backs likely to sign this week the club captain may not be involved at Blackburn next Friday night.

Re: ' David Marshall '

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:45 am

Annis whos the cb signing next week

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:48 am

Great news for us , will be a massive boost for us having him in goal this year after the season he had last year, also teams up Against him will know they have to beat a top top keeper ,physiologically he could frustrate teams even if there on top with some of the saves he can pull off... Great news .

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:49 am

Still short of outfield leaders. we are far, far too quiet on the pitch and I really worry bout heads going down if we have a poor start. Our fans aren't the most patient and it could soon spiral to the point where we are in a mess again.

At least one of the 3 players coming in needs to be a big character. A strong leader who can drag the team along when things are going well. Ideally would like to see a box to box winning midfielder. Someone like Nolan.

Also a commanding, vocal, centre half to fight it out with Turner - at the moment he's our no.1 centre half. Cala is a pretty footballer, but far too weak and takes too many chances for me - got outmuscled yesterday again after getting into a position to win the ball because he didn't commit and didn't do the simple thing and put the ball into touch. Wes Morgan would be good.

Hudson and Connolly will be rusty and I'm not convinced Hudson will ever be the player he was again. Connolly looked shaky yesterday and needs the right partner.

It's absolutely key we get the right players to balance the side out. We have loads of options going forward, although being greed maybe 1 more quality winger, but as a priority we need to sort the back end of the spine, energy and solidity to midfield and organisation, leadership and strength to defense.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:56 am

:ole: :ole: :ole:

I personally don't want Joe Lewis as No 2, much prefer Simon Moore, this guy will be a future No1, he's young I know, and lacks experience but he is going to be a top class keeper.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:38 am

Lawnmower wrote:Still short of outfield leaders. we are far, far too quiet on the pitch and I really worry bout heads going down if we have a poor start. Our fans aren't the most patient and it could soon spiral to the point where we are in a mess again.

At least one of the 3 players coming in needs to be a big character. A strong leader who can drag the team along when things are going well. Ideally would like to see a box to box winning midfielder. Someone like Nolan.

Also a commanding, vocal, centre half to fight it out with Turner - at the moment he's our no.1 centre half. Cala is a pretty footballer, but far too weak and takes too many chances for me - got outmuscled yesterday again after getting into a position to win the ball because he didn't commit and didn't do the simple thing and put the ball into touch. Wes Morgan would be good.

Hudson and Connolly will be rusty and I'm not convinced Hudson will ever be the player he was again. Connolly looked shaky yesterday and needs the right partner.

It's absolutely key we get the right players to balance the side out. We have loads of options going forward, although being greed maybe 1 more quality winger, but as a priority we need to sort the back end of the spine, energy and solidity to midfield and organisation, leadership and strength to defense.

Spot on Tim :thumbright:

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:57 am

Great news he will be sharing the armband, but surely this puts more pressure on him to score goals now!

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:26 am

fantastic professional and player. i for one wouldn't begrudge him a move to the PL if the right bid comes in……. :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:38 am

So glad Ole made him vice captain. He will probably be captain in most matches, as he is a shoe in. :bluescarf:

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:52 am

Deserves to play in the premiership,genuine top level keeper,delighted he seems to be staying with us.

has earnt the captains armband,hell lead by example on the pitch

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:14 pm

Would not begrudge him a move to the premier league he's been outstanding last 2 years and deserves the armband.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Best keeper in championship 4 sure :thumbup:

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Lawnmower wrote:Still short of outfield leaders. we are far, far too quiet on the pitch and I really worry bout heads going down if we have a poor start. Our fans aren't the most patient and it could soon spiral to the point where we are in a mess again.

Agree about the centre halves not looking commuted and aggressive enough, but hoping it was just not wanting to risk injury before the season starts, hopefully if either play they will look a bit stronger and aggressive.....

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:19 pm

A fairly rare example of true loyalty from the big Scot. What a great example for youngsters to see.

I guess this proves that the media circus last year didn't adversely affect the players too much.

I do agree with the previous post that our fans are impatient. However, Marsh is quite capable of raising morale, especially with his commitment to saves. The way he has recovered from the dislocated finger is another sign of his hunger to play.

I didn't think I could respect him more, but he has surpassed even my expectations.

On the issue of CB's, etc., again the previous poster has made some excellent points. Ole is on the case so I'm sure the defence will be shored up. Looking good Bluebirds!!

:bluescarf:

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Golden cheetah wrote:Best keeper in championship 4 sure :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:07 am

Looks like Marshall will be our main Captain then :thumbright:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145051