Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

And so it begins

Sun May 23, 2010 10:04 am

the expected interest in our players.

I have been told this morning that West Ham have been speaking to someone very close to Peter Whittingham and they are ready to make their offer formal.

We know this summer will be difficult keeping our players but we have to stabilise our finances for the good of the club and when we have players who have just had superb seasons but only have a year remaining on their contracts then it is inevitable that we will listen to offers.

Re: And so it begins

Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 am

Whitts work rate is zero - so wouln't have a problem with him or ledley going

Providing we strengthen :geek:

Sun May 23, 2010 10:10 am

Carl I said on the way home last night, that we will do well to keep hold of Whitts, Burke and Jay and maybe Marshall. Thats all we do is Rebuild all the f*cking time, yhink of the players we have lost over the years. Yesterday upset me as I know that if we had won we would have kept all this team toghter

Sun May 23, 2010 10:11 am

I'd only sell Whittingham for £4m or £5m. His goals can warrant a price tag like that but people who watch him week in and week out will know that's daylight robbery. He did his part throughout the season, except when we needed him. It's a shame because I wanted him to succeed but he let himself down at the last.

Sun May 23, 2010 5:28 pm

carlccfc wrote:the expected interest in our players.

I have been told this morning that West Ham have been speaking to someone very close to Peter Whittingham and they are ready to make their offer formal.

We know this summer will be difficult keeping our players but we have to stabilise our finances for the good of the club and when we have players who have just had superb seasons but only have a year remaining on their contracts then it is inevitable that we will listen to offers.

lets sell,and any new player we buy,make them hungry for promotion,a basic wage(low)and lots of win bonuses,and a massive cheque if we get to the prem,do exactly the same as blackpool have done. :ayatollah:

Sun May 23, 2010 5:31 pm

I'd only sell Whittingham for £4m or £5m

With a year on his contract I wouldnt be surprised to see it between 1.5/2.5m
I would say he is the biggest cert to leave followed by Jay

Sun May 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Zabier wrote:I'd only sell Whittingham for £4m or £5m. His goals can warrant a price tag like that but people who watch him week in and week out will know that's daylight robbery. He did his part throughout the season, except when we needed him. It's a shame because I wanted him to succeed but he let himself down at the last.

I think it will be more like £2.5m Zab with add on payments of another £1m. TBH it would be good business, we just had the best season of his career out of him and if we keep McCormack we have a ready made replacement.

Sun May 23, 2010 5:41 pm

As much as people criticise his work rate Whitts was the Championships top scorer and from midfield as well. I believe he was twice the player this season as he was last season and when he goes as I believe he inevitably will, we will miss his goal scoring prowess, where else will we get a 25 goal midfielder from to replace him?? We will need our strikers to come up with the goods to cover for his loss. He's a class act IMO and I think a few clubs will be on his trail.

Not sure what's been up with Super Kev over the last few months either, I know he's had a lot of injuries but recently he's been pretty dire .

Sun May 23, 2010 6:31 pm

Buying and selling is part and parcel of the football business.
I'd say keep jay and Chops .
As for the rest well I just dont care.
It seemed as if it was just 2 hot in more ways than 1 yesterday for all our players except
Chops,Joe and gerrard ..

Sun May 23, 2010 6:50 pm

stickywicket wrote:Buying and selling is part and parcel of the football business.
I'd say keep jay and Chops .
As for the rest well I just dont care.
It seemed as if it was just 2 hot in more ways than 1 yesterday for all our players except
Chops,Joe and gerrard ..

Id be pissed if Jay, chops and ledley went! they are our back bone! :(

Sun May 23, 2010 7:12 pm

I've heard two clubs so far are after Chops............

Sun May 23, 2010 7:13 pm

Bluebina wrote:

But my source is not as hot as Carls so hopefully he is wrong ..........

Sun May 23, 2010 7:24 pm

Keep Mc Naughton, Gerrard, Whitts, Ledley, Mc phail, Burke, McCormack, Bothroyd, Chopra & Blake with wildig,
Marshall &Gyepes as squad players. The rest can go along with Jones and his back room staff.

3 midfielders against 4 and they destroyed us!

Sun May 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Thing is how many clubs will offer us decent money for players. you might find many offers are mickey mouse.

We have to be careful though, lots of good players with only 1 year left on their contracts.

Sun May 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Roy Keane at Ipswich has openly said he's like to buy Chopra but I cant see him going to another Championship club unless we have to sell ? :ayatollah: