Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BUYING A CAT C/D REGISTERED CAR.....

Fri May 21, 2010 11:51 am

Anyone have any good/bad points in doing this? Have found a lovely car but it is Cat C registered. Now to me just because it has been in a bump doesn't mean anything, aslong as it is safe on the road thats all that matters. Or are they really that bad? Im guessing Cat D is worse than a Cat C?? :roll:

Re: BUYING A CAT C/D REGISTERED CAR.....

Fri May 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Nothing wrong at all and you can get some great bargains. I'd get it checked out before to make absolutely sure it onlyhas the damage that's been claimed. also getting a quote for the work that needs doing is a good idea

Fri May 21, 2010 12:05 pm

gavin1927 wrote:Anyone have any good/bad points in doing this? Have found a lovely car but it is Cat C registered. Now to me just because it has been in a bump doesn't mean anything, aslong as it is safe on the road thats all that matters. Or are they really that bad? Im guessing Cat D is worse than a Cat C?? :roll:

Cat C is worse than cat D.
Cat D is normally minor damage/cosmetic damage but deemed too expensive to repair, Cat C is normally more serious/expensive but will have been repaired and should have been inspected I think.

If it's a lot cheaper than a straight car it could be worth it, but unless you're saving a fair bit I wouldn't really recommend it.

If it's a decent price, and you get it looked at or know it's safe, and you're planning on keeping it then there's no real reason why not really

Fri May 21, 2010 12:54 pm

gavin1927 wrote:Anyone have any good/bad points in doing this? Have found a lovely car but it is Cat C registered. Now to me just because it has been in a bump doesn't mean anything, aslong as it is safe on the road thats all that matters. Or are they really that bad? Im guessing Cat D is worse than a Cat C?? :roll:

I had a P Reg BMW a few years ago, had a bump in it and needed a new bumper and bonnet. The Insurance wrote it off as a class C! I bought it back off them for £ 270 and got new parts off ebay from a guy in Brean Sands. I drove the car down to him and he fitted the parts for me. Total cost without petrol to Brean was around £190

Fri May 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Most insurance companies will require an engineers report to confirm that repairs have been done and the car is roadworthy.
This is not an MOT and can set you back about £100 for an inspection and document.

Fri May 21, 2010 1:58 pm

i think it needs a VIC test to go back on the road, about £40 i think

Fri May 21, 2010 3:07 pm

I bought a cat c micra for the Mrs It was aweful I sent it staright back it was a mess!!

Fri May 21, 2010 4:37 pm

sullysoul wrote:I bought a cat c micra for the Mrs It was aweful I sent it staright back it was a mess!!

was that the micra or the missus :D :D :ayatollah:

Fri May 21, 2010 4:54 pm

yer its fine, aslong as the damage has been repaired and looks fine!