Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Eddie May years 1991 -1995

Tue May 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi all

I am looking for fans recollections of when Eddie May stepped up to manager for Cardiff in the early-1990s - what do you remember? Rick Wright fiasco? Playesr? What was Eddie like as a personality etc?

All thoughts are welcome.

thanks
gary

Re: Eddie May years 1991 -1995

Tue May 18, 2010 3:41 pm

That was when I pretty much first started taking an interest in Cardiff and he was a real figure. I'll never forget the fans singing 'Eddie May's barmy army!'. I thought that was the original 'barmy army' chant!

Tue May 18, 2010 3:49 pm

he was a hero to me, loved the eddie mays barmy army chant :ayatollah:

we will sing it saturday for him :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 4:09 pm

I said "Whats his name?" ... Eddie May

"Eddie, eddie, eddie may"

Loved the business proper version too!

Tue May 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Loved this era.....

Dug out in front of the Bob Bank.....he would walk towards us to a few thousand chanting "whats' his name?"....eddie eddie eddie may!!!!

Players Carl Dale and Chris Pike terrorised up front...then the legend that is Phil Stant stepped in....
we had Ramsey, Gibbins, Blake, Cohen, Robbie James, Nicky richardson, Adams, Bird Jason Perry, Damon Searle, Derek Brazil....too many to name...

Rick Wright was an odd one lol....Majestic Holidays ...i recall him giving all the Cardiff shares to the Junior Bluebirds , we also had a different entry price depending on where we were in the league....and kids when in free with vouchers from the Echo.

Barnet was a big game...Man City of course.....

Good times.....Im sure i will think of more....

Tue May 18, 2010 4:43 pm

oh nicky nicky,nicky nicky nicky nicky richardson :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Phil Stant once said in his autobiography that of all the managers he worked under, Eddie May was definately the most fearsome.
he said if you were loosing at half time and was to blame for something, then Eddie would shout and scream so much that his face would turn blood red and veins would pop out of his forehead and neck.

Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Gary, I loved them, As I felt Our Fans were fantastic during those years, 1,500 Fans going to Colchester and Northampton on Friday Nights.
The Season we got promoted, You felt we were going to Win every game, The Football for that level WAS SUPERB :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 5:15 pm

when i was an apprentice and staying in the tygwyn guest house near sophia gardens,eddie was involved with the owner and we spent many drunken evenings watching what was then the european cup,i used to love answering the phone to journalists looking for quotes and winding the fuckers up.very nice fella

Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 pm

I was only a kid then, I was watching City when my dad took me before EM came on the scene but the first real season that stood out and i remember proper was 92/93 season. Went to my first away game that year Scunthorpe, i lost my old man on the terrace behind the goal, scary times. Gavin Ward, Carl Dale, Nicky Richardson were my favourite players and Damon Searle(i played pool with him in barry butlins i have photographic evidence) :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Paul Miller putting his arms in the air before taking a corner and the crowd copying him.

Wimbletons hair and Ratcliffe!!!!

Best days watching Cardiff for me.

Tue May 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Yep this was the era I first started going down, I was 11 in 1991 and My Dad took me down... Best moment was when my friend Simon Haworth played... I was ball boy and in the warm up he hit a 45 yard volley onto the cross bar!! Also another friend and class mate of mine Christian Roberts played...used to love the feeling of the night time games as well!!! great times!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 7:32 pm

is he still porthcawl manager? seen him watching them on dinas park in porth just before he took over them

Tue May 18, 2010 11:08 pm

i remember the open grange end packed out and the surges forward when we scored

Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 pm

I loved the Paul Millar arms in there, how the f**k the players ever knew where the corner was going!!!

Eddie May will always be a city legend and nearly everyone who supported city then will name his as their all time favourite manager.

He got the very best (and a bit more) out of the players who played for him, how many players left city and never went on to bigger things?

he was manager of Drogheda United when I was living in Dublin I went to one of their away games and after the game approached him to sign a cardiff city history book for me which he did and was an absolute gentleman

I also remember us scoring in the last minute of stopage time to draw 2 -2 twice in a couple of weeks at chesterfield and hereford our away support was fantastic and worshiped the guy, the belief in everbody around the club was amazing and most of that arguably would be down to the manager

Wed May 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply.

If anyone has memories of particular games/ goals travels etc do let me know.

Gary