Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: I KNOW YOU MIGHT THINK THIS IS ALL PREMATURE

Wed May 19, 2010 8:20 pm

I was told a while ago by Steve Borley that a rough cost is approx £1m/1000 seats - think we'd need to at least stay up for a couple of seasons to justify that expense, money we simply haven't got at the moment.

Whilst on the subject, I've not seen any proposed future expansion plans and would be interested to see the layout. Yes, there appears to be plenty of room up in that area - but surely there would be loads of restricted view seating between the pillars, or is it coming out in front of that on a cantilever structure?

Wed May 19, 2010 8:31 pm

LlwyncelynBlue wrote:I was told a while ago by Steve Borley that a rough cost is approx £1m/1000 seats - think we'd need to at least stay up for a couple of seasons to justify that expense, money we simply haven't got at the moment.

Whilst on the subject, I've not seen any proposed future expansion plans and would be interested to see the layout. Yes, there appears to be plenty of room up in that area - but surely there would be loads of restricted view seating between the pillars, or is it coming out in front of that on a cantilever structure?

I think your right, a lot of Restricting Viewing.

Wed May 19, 2010 10:34 pm

RobP wrote:I would base a decision purely on the possibility of increasing our revenue / profit through the increased capacity.

If it costs £1m (totally made up figure) to add an extra 8,000 seats, the cost per seat is £125.

How many times during a premier season would we need more than 26k seats?

If we could sell out all the new seats for 5 matches (Man U, CFC, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City) then it would be 5 x £28 x 8,000 = £1,120,000

So IF we ever got there and we could build 8,000 seats for £1m then it seems it would be worth it.

If building costs were £2m or above then maybe not.

I must note that maths isn't my strong point!

You should cost the project over its lifetime (not just 1-3 years), taking account of a realistic estimate of additional revenues and the cost of capital. On this basis, you would be willing to spend considerably more than £2m.

Wed May 19, 2010 11:16 pm

LlwyncelynBlue wrote:I was told a while ago by Steve Borley that a rough cost is approx £1m/1000 seats - think we'd need to at least stay up for a couple of seasons to justify that expense, money we simply haven't got at the moment.

What pillars?

The second tier of the grandstand seems ok and is of cantilever construction and the rest of the gorund would surely be modelled on that. Does the first tier of the grandstand have any restricted viewing caused by the second tier?

Thu May 20, 2010 8:02 am

Elwood Blues wrote:What pillars?

The second tier of the grandstand seems ok and is of cantilever construction and the rest of the gorund would surely be modelled on that. Does the first tier of the grandstand have any restricted viewing caused by the second tier?

The ones in this photo

The club has always said that the additional seating could be easily installed. The only available space without a cantilever system would be the concourse area at the back - which would give restricted viewing between the pillars.

If the cantilever were to come out in front of this there'd be no restricted viewing - but that's not as simple and would mean that a lot of the seating below would be unusable for the construction period due to health & safety.