Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A Gut wrenching stomach churning roller coaster

Thu May 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Never in my 40 years of watching City have i been through so many emotions in one match watching City this is how i saw it:

Before the game nervous as hell can't get thoughts of the Stoke game out of my head these thoughts are not helped by seeing some mates by the bar including Cheggs who feel exactly the same :(

The game kicks off and some of the nerves subside as i join in the singing and release some of the pent up in emotion inside me.

The first 15 minutes its all Cardiff Whits is through on goal one on one with the keeper he must score but puts it wide the stomach starts tightening up and the thoughts are in games like this you have got to take your chances or???

Then Jay flicks on Chops is on to it and rolls it under the keeper the CCS erupts we are 2-0 up and City don't throw away leads like that do they. Then thoughts of Peterboro creep in some fans are singing Wembley Wembley and i'm shouting 'shut up don't tempt fate'

Then from Leicesters first real attack Howard flicks on and Fryatt squeezes the ball under Marshall and i feel a punch in the guts and the nerves return. Then the ball is launched into our box Howard flicks on the ball hits Hudson and loops over Marshall and lands in the net. The Leicester fans go berserk and the CCS falls silent. How the feck did that happen Leicester have had 1 shot on goal but have scored twice

Half time comes we are 2-2 on aggregate i slump into my seat and tell anyone who will listen that we have blown it i feel sick and have a banging headache.

The second half kicks off and Leicester are going for it they get a corner which is half cleared by Bothroyd the ball is swung back in and Andy King plants a free header in the corner. I feel like Mike Tyson as just punched me in the stomach and i am in total despair i can see the headlines now. Welshman stops Welsh Team going to Wembley oh the irony! :cry:

We seem to huff and puff but i can't keep my off the clock as time now seems to be going extremely fast then the ball is in the box Chops is on to it and gets tugged 'penalty' scream 24,000 rabid City fans and Howard Webb obliges by pointing to the spot.

Up steps Whitts and i tell everyone around me he his bound to miss the law of averages dictate it and good things don't happen to City do they? I can barley watch my stomach is more knotted than a knotted rope from Knottsville. Whitts is so cool and smashes it down the middle the tie is level and it's game on!

The game continues Bothroyd almost breaks the bar, Whitts with an exquisite free kick hits the bar it's not our night and i am convinced the footballing gods are not on our side and we are destined to lose! :(

I spend the next 15 minutes shitting myself as a wait for the inevitable Leicester winner and in the last 2 minutes that winner comes the ball bounces in the area and Howard smashes it in to the top corner and the net bulges and it's game over

Well that's what my brain as pictured but out of nowhere Marshall appears through the air and palms the ball around the post is this the moment that we win the tie?

Extra time comes and it's agony i am clenching every part of the body it's possible to clench and every time Leicester get over the half way line i am convinced they are going to score

Then in the very last minute of Extra Time Leicester get a free kick on the edge of the box Solano steps up to take it and i am convinced this is the moment when our dream ends in tears i am now in total despair my heart is pounding my stomach as turned inside out and my brain is screaming No No No not now please God. Solano chips over the wall and straight into Marshalls grateful outstretched palms and relief sweeps over me.

The rest is a blur and Howard Webb blows his whistle for the end of extra time now it's down to penalties and of course i am convinced we are going to lose........

Leicester take the first and score up steps Chopra (I think it's all a blur) and scores 1-1 Here comes Howard he's bound to score and does. Now its Mc Cormack he's going to miss i can barely look but the little ginger monster does the business 2-2.

Back to Leicester and Solano to take it and he blasts past Marshall i don't know how much more i can take now its down to Joe up steps the local boy from Fairwater would the fates be so cruel as to make him miss? No he slots it right in the corner and it's 3-3

Now for two names that will live in Cardiff City history forever Keromaght (Sp) and David Marshall up steps Keromaght and probably takes the worst penalty in the history of penalty taking????? Marshall stays central goes down early and is stunned when the ball is gently chipped towards him so stunned in fact that he only just get his hand up in time to save it. Oh thank you God this might just be our night inside i am welling up but it's not over yet. Kennedy a true pro steps up and places is penalty in the bottom left hand corner giving the keeper no chance 4-3 City surely this is our time?? :ayatollah:

Leicester now have to score up steps Waghorn the CCS is a cauldron of boos and cat calls hostile is not the word (miss it you b**stard thinks everyone) Waghorn connects well and places it towards the left hand corner Marshall guesses right puts up a big hand and saves it Yes Yes Yes :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :D

Cue pandemonium the CCS erupts everyone hugs everyone else i high five my Son sat next to me and embrace him. Then my thoughts turn to my Daughter sat about 8 rows behind me i battle my way up the aisle and meet my daughter who's on the way down we hug and kiss and all the emotions spill over and words can't describe the moment. :D

I have been through an emotional roller coaster but the Bluebirds are going to Wembley and i have to go through it all again in 9 days time :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: A Gut wrenching stomach churning roller coaster

Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 pm

AND i have just done it all over again - tortured myself with the recording!!! :lol:

Thu May 13, 2010 2:09 pm

thats what the play offs are ... i was exactly like you last night and im normally very optimistic...i too had a major headache and it was nothing to do with booze....im in work now and still have it ,the stress and nerves well mine were shot...typical city we never do anything easy.....went for a few oints after and then home but couldnt sleep so watched it on sky as i had to see the pens as i couldnt watch them in the ground looked away and just waited for our fans reaction before gettign mobbed my my mates and then going balistic.....and unreal night and goes to show that you cant count for anything in the play offs as games go back and for constantly ,at 3-1 down i thought it had gone........another amazing night as a city fan ,proud of everyone dj,players fans etc.....im still buzzing ......blooooooooooooooobirds!!!

Thu May 13, 2010 2:16 pm

blueheaven wrote:Never in my 40 years of watching City have i been through so many emotions in one match watching City this is how i saw it:

Before the game nervous as hell can't get thoughts of the Stoke game out of my head these thoughts are not helped by seeing some mates by the bar including Cheggs who feel exactly the same :(

The game kicks off and some of the nerves subside as i join in the singing and release some of the pent up in emotion inside me.

The first 15 minutes its all Cardiff Whits is through on goal one on one with the keeper he must score but puts it wide the stomach starts tightening up and the thoughts are in games like this you have got to take your chances or???

Then Jay flicks on Chops is on to it and rolls it under the keeper the CCS erupts we are 2-0 up and City don't throw away leads like that do they. Then thoughts of Peterboro creep in some fans are singing Wembley Wembley and i'm shouting 'shut up don't tempt fate'

Then from Leicesters first real attack Howard flicks on and Fryatt squeezes the ball under Marshall and i feel a punch in the guts and the nerves return. Then the ball is launched into our box Howard flicks on the ball hits Hudson and loops over Marshall and lands in the net. The Leicester fans go berserk and the CCS falls silent. How the feck did that happen Leicester have had 1 shot on goal but have scored twice

Half time comes we are 2-2 on aggregate i slump into my seat and tell anyone who will listen that we have blown it i feel sick and have a banging headache.

The second half kicks off and Leicester are going for it they get a corner which is half cleared by Bothroyd the ball is swung back in and Andy King plants a free header in the corner. I feel like Mike Tyson as just punched me in the stomach and i am in total despair i can see the headlines now. Welshman stops Welsh Team going to Wembley oh the irony! :cry:

We seem to huff and puff but i can't keep my off the clock as time now seems to be going extremely fast then the ball is in the box Chops is on to it and gets tugged 'penalty' scream 24,000 rabid City fans and Howard Webb obliges by pointing to the spot.

Up steps Whitts and i tell everyone around me he his bound to miss the law of averages dictate it and good things don't happen to City do they? I can barley watch my stomach is more knotted than a knotted rope from Knottsville. Whitts is so cool and smashes it down the middle the tie is level and it's game on!

The game continues Bothroyd almost breaks the bar, Whitts with an exquisite free kick hits the bar it's not our night and i am convinced the footballing gods are not on our side and we are destined to lose! :(

I spend the next 15 minutes shitting myself as a wait for the inevitable Leicester winner and in the last 2 minutes that winner comes the ball bounces in the area and Howard smashes it in to the top corner and the net bulges and it's game over

Well that's what my brain as pictured but out of nowhere Marshall appears through the air and palms the ball around the post is this the moment that we win the tie?

Extra time comes and it's agony i am clenching every part of the body it's possible to clench and every time Leicester get over the half way line i am convinced they are going to score

Then in the very last minute of Extra Time Leicester get a free kick on the edge of the box Solano steps up to take it and i am convinced this is the moment when our dream ends in tears i am now in total despair my heart is pounding my stomach as turned inside out and my brain is screaming No No No not now please God. Solano chips over the wall and straight into Marshalls grateful outstretched palms and relief sweeps over me.

The rest is a blur and Howard Webb blows his whistle for the end of extra time now it's down to penalties and of course i am convinced we are going to lose........

Leicester take the first and score up steps Chopra (I think it's all a blur) and scores 1-1 Here comes Howard he's bound to score and does. Now its Mc Cormack he's going to miss i can barely look but the little ginger monster does the business 2-2.

Back to Leicester and Solano to take it and he blasts past Marshall i don't know how much more i can take now its down to Joe up steps the local boy from Fairwater would the fates be so cruel as to make him miss? No he slots it right in the corner and it's 3-3

Now for two names that will live in Cardiff City history forever Keromaght (Sp) and David Marshall up steps Keromaght and probably takes the worst penalty in the history of penalty taking????? Marshall stays central goes down early and is stunned when the ball is gently chipped towards him so stunned in fact that he only just get his hand up in time to save it. Oh thank you God this might just be our night inside i am welling up but it's not over yet. Kennedy a true pro steps up and places is penalty in the bottom left hand corner giving the keeper no chance 4-3 City surely this is our time?? :ayatollah:

Leicester now have to score up steps Waghorn the CCS is a cauldron of boos and cat calls hostile is not the word (miss it you b**stard thinks everyone) Waghorn connects well and places it towards the left hand corner Marshall guesses right puts up a big hand and saves it Yes Yes Yes :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :D

Cue pandemonium the CCS erupts everyone hugs everyone else i high five my Son sat next to me and embrace him. Then my thoughts turn to my Daughter sat about 8 rows behind me i battle my way up the aisle and meet my daughter who's on the way down we hug and kiss and all the emotions spill over and words can't describe the moment. :D

I have been through an emotional roller coaster but the Bluebirds are going to Wembley and i have to go through it all again in 9 days time :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Well done! great little write up. enjoyed reading that. Almost like everyones night in one post!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 13, 2010 3:17 pm

Merlin wrote:
blueheaven wrote:Never in my 40 years of watching City have i been through so many emotions in one match watching City this is how i saw it:

Well done! great little write up. enjoyed reading that. Almost like everyones night in one post!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thanks Mate, I felt i just had to get it all off my chest what a night i hope i never have to go through anything like that again could so easily have all ended in tears!