Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"OPINIONS PLEASE"

Tue May 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Personally I Dont believe Gordon Brown or John Major should have been Prime Minister as they WERE NEVER VOTED IN.
I believe if you stand down there should be an Election.
Also Surely Cameron as Prime Minister and Cleg as Deputy between them is what the Majority of the British public has just Voted for ?

Re: "OPINIONS PLEASE"

Tue May 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Think I agree with your first point Annis, however the way I look at it is the majority of the British public voted against the Conservative party, as opposed to in favour. I think the Lib Dems have just shot themselves in the foot. I don't think it will work and I think they will lose a lot of the Scottish and Welsh support they have(had?).

I think in years to come, we will find Labour having to try and clear up Tory mess once more.

Tue May 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Brown was never voted as Labour leader or PM.

Funny thing,democracy :? :?

Tue May 11, 2010 7:23 pm

the majority of the british people didnt vote tory

thank god

which is why they didnt get a majority

simple as that

well done brown for stopping them

:ayatollah:

Tue May 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Was getting out of this mess anyway but, will certainly speed it up!

Tue May 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I voted Lib Dem but hoped that there would have been a lab/lib coalition, my worry is the tories will stop spending and ruin the recovery.

At least the Tories have said they are willing to put a £10,000 threshold on income tax, which was a lib dem pledge.

Tue May 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Here come the Tories :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqkdcT25ss

Tue May 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Better quality on this link!!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqObJtGrKaA

Tue May 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Personally I Dont believe Gordon Brown or John Major should have been Prime Minister as they WERE NEVER VOTED IN.
Also Surely Cameron as Prime Minister and Cleg as Deputy between them is what the Majority of the British public has just Voted for ?

To be fair to Major, ?(Even though I couldnt stand him.) he did win the 92 election and got a mandate from the electorate, unlike Brown and further back Jim Callaghan.

Tue May 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Bluebird4eva wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Personally I Dont believe Gordon Brown or John Major should have been Prime Minister as they WERE NEVER VOTED IN.

To be fair to Major, ?(Even though I couldnt stand him.) he did win the 92 election and got a mandate from the electorate, unlike Brown and further back Jim Callaghan.

I forgot he did win the next election after he was handed it down.

Tue May 11, 2010 7:40 pm

most voted against a tory government but this system is terrible.

i believe the 2 top candidates in each area should face off in just an election with those 2. at least then the winner gets over 50% of the vote from the electorate in the area.

Tue May 11, 2010 7:41 pm

I am not a tory but I didnt mind major

I hated thatcher

most of wales hated her

apart from annis

:lol:

Tue May 11, 2010 7:43 pm

Sludge wrote:I am not a tory but I didnt mind major

I hated thatcher

most of wales hated her

apart from annis

Tue May 11, 2010 7:59 pm

PtB wrote:Think I agree with your first point Annis, however the way I look at it is the majority of the British public voted against the Conservative party, as opposed to in favour. I think the Lib Dems have just shot themselves in the foot. I don't think it will work and I think they will lose a lot of the Scottish and Welsh support they have(had?).

I think in years to come, we will find Labour having to try and clear up Tory mess once more.

Are you insane or on drugs?

PtB you're normally a sensible chap but the last statement defy's belief, something only seen on CCMB submitted by posh middle class children. The Torries come in to sort out the shit left by labour, we have two to three years of real hardship, four to five when things are OKish, a few years of good times then labour get in. From day one they implement good natured but ill thought out policies and as they start to go down the pan throw more money at the problem. I can give you many examples of their nonsensical economic/planning/infrastructure, etc policies that look as though they've been put together by well meaning but totally clueless groups of people. Depressingbut true.

Anyway we have potential happy, happy times ahead look up not down, looking down you'd only see Falkirk Nil or allah forbid, the town formerly know as Swansea.

The futures Blue, always has been :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 11, 2010 8:00 pm

The Gordon Brown and initially John Major situations were not ideal, but in reality there is no other way.

To explain should the sitting Government who have secured a 5 year term call a General Election just because they change leader? For example if Maggie Thatcher had been killed in the Brighton bombing in 1984 would it have been right for a General Election to be called to mandate her successor?

As pointed out Callaghan, Major and Brown all faced elections eventually so IMO there is no real problem, because we vote in Government's not President's.

I fully agree the country has got what it voted for, a minority Conservative Government propped up by a coalition with a smaller party, the LibDems.

Whether that is good for either party history will judge.

Tue May 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:The Gordon Brown and initially John Major situations were not ideal, but in reality there is no other way.

To explain should the sitting Government who have secured a 5 year term call a General Election just because they change leader? For example if Maggie Thatcher had been killed in the Brighton bombing in 1984 would it have been right for a General Election to be called to mandate her successor?

As pointed out Callaghan, Major and Brown all faced elections eventually so IMO there is no real problem, because we vote in Government's not President's.

I fully agree the country has got what it voted for, a minority Conservative Government propped up by a coalition with a smaller party, the LibDems.

Gordon Brown didn't even win an election in his own party. It was a stitch up, 'I know ou've been waiting a while Gordon, go on then... your turn.'

I voted for Blair and ended up with Brown.

I agree that there could be circumstances where it wasn't possible, but there was no reason why they couldn't call an election then, apart from the fact they feared losing.

Tue May 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:The Gordon Brown and initially John Major situations were not ideal, but in reality there is no other way.

Gordon Brown didn't even win an election in his own party. It was a stitch up, 'I know ou've been waiting a while Gordon, go on then... your turn.'

I voted for Blair and ended up with Brown.

I agree that there could be circumstances where it wasn't possible, but there was no reason why they couldn't call an election then, apart from the fact they feared losing.

I can fully understand your thinking but IMO you voted for Labour not Tony Blair, as I said we vote in Government's not Presidents.

Therefore whoever Labour want as their leader is up to them. Of course at the next election you might not like who they have chosen and vote for another party.

BTW I am fully in support of fixed term Parliments (4 years) which for the most part would eliminate this question any way.

Tue May 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Willy the Wombat wrote:
PtB wrote:Think I agree with your first point Annis, however the way I look at it is the majority of the British public voted against the Conservative party, as opposed to in favour. I think the Lib Dems have just shot themselves in the foot. I don't think it will work and I think they will lose a lot of the Scottish and Welsh support they have(had?).

Are you insane or on drugs?

PtB you're normally a sensible chap but the last statement defy's belief, something only seen on CCMB submitted by posh middle class children. The Torries come in to sort out the shit left by labour, we have two to three years of real hardship, four to five when things are OKish, a few years of good times then labour get in. From day one they implement good natured but ill thought out policies and as they start to go down the pan throw more money at the problem. I can give you many examples of their nonsensical economic/planning/infrastructure, etc policies that look as though they've been put together by well meaning but totally clueless groups of people. Depressingbut true.

Anyway we have potential happy, happy times ahead look up not down, looking down you'd only see Falkirk Nil or allah forbid, the town formerly know as Swansea.

The futures Blue, always has been :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I forsee a return to Thatcherite ways under this new government. Some towns are only just recovering from those days, some still haven't.

However, at least we can have sensible debate on it :ayatollah:

I like this "sensible chap" thing though :lol:

Had a skirmish through this earlier http://www.conservatives.com/Policy/Manifesto.aspx

I think it is fair to say, that no matter who is in power, we'll never be happy anyway. Hence the return to Conservative leadership.

Tue May 11, 2010 9:42 pm

One small point but it really bugs me and loads of you get it wrong.

We do not vote for a Prime Minister in the uk. We vote for the policies of a party and entrust the leader of the elected party to manage the team i.e be the Prime Minister.

Major wasnt elected first time round, when Thatcher stepped down, he did exactly what Brown did when Blair left . Brown was elected leader of the Labour party as no one stood against him and as the party in power became prime minister. Thas the way it works.

I voted for Labour's policies NOT their individuals. Its a sad day indeed when people start making their choices based on individual presentation rather than the policies behind the party which are the most important thing of all.

For what its worth, Cameron is a political lightweight, responsible for the collapse of the pound in the 80s and helped oversee the biggest gap in equality this country has ever seen. And now he is in office on less than a third of the votes. I'm more disappointed in the lib dems for siding with the Tories.

Just my opinion like.

Tue May 11, 2010 9:47 pm

I don't think Clegg has any powers, as proven by Harriet Harmen as Deputy. It's like a "look at me" role. They don't actually do much

Wed May 12, 2010 9:29 am

Agree with the posts above, you elect a party not a prime minister. So I believe Brown being prime minister was fine.

Wed May 12, 2010 9:52 am

Also to be honest I think Gordon Brown has more of a right to be Prime Minister than David Cameron as the public elected a Labour government with a majority whereas Cameron has got in through the back door and making deals - just an opinion but I there needs to be another election soon or IMO the Cameron years will be tainted

Wed May 12, 2010 9:59 am

We have a parliamentary democracy and we vote for a Party not an individual President ala USA, thank god. Enjoy the coalition while it lasts and all you people who voted Liberal, whats it like to vote in a Tory via the backdoor :lol: :lol: . Unfortunately the first past the post system we have in the UK is biased in favour of the big two. Proper proportional representation would have given the Liberals, Labour and Conservatives almost an equal amount of votes. However they have agreed a referendum on AV with the Tories which falls well short of proportional represntation. Even then the Tories will campaign against AV so they have given the Liberals nowt. Mr Clegg and Cable you will do anything for power however I dont think the rank and file of your party will commend you for it as it will come back and bite you on the ass. As for the Liberals, a left wing party by the way, it's now forever tainted for going in cahoots with a right wing Tory party. It can't possibly last :lol: . Huge swathes of Liberal voters will now vote for Labour in the next general election (which wont be long from now) and Labour won't have their hands tied by an unelectable tool like Gordon Brown - he just wasn't cut out for it. This next term in office for the Tories/ Lib Dems will be a poisoned chalice and a very short tenure in Downing street :lol: :lol: