Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cars

Wed May 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Where's the best place to look around Cardiff for second hand cars?

Its my first car, passed my driving test on Tuesday and going looking for a car tomorrow but not sure where to start.

Cheers

Re: Cars

Wed May 05, 2010 11:08 pm

You looking to pay out right or finance it?

Evans Halshaw(sloper road) have a wide selection of cars but plenty down on Penarth Road to look at

Wed May 05, 2010 11:18 pm

My old man paying for it, probably pay for it outright

Thu May 06, 2010 6:58 am

depends on what your budget is, and what your insurance might be(ouch!!!!)

Thu May 06, 2010 7:07 am

If you fancy a punt there are the car auctions in Newport. I think they are held every Wednesday and Friday at 6:30pm but you need to check on that.

Thu May 06, 2010 7:18 am

Don't buy a car off the side of the road witha for sale sign in the window as the majority of these will be garages / scrap yards who do cars up with bits off other cars and then sell them. You won't go far wrong with the AutoTrader.com becuase they have got 1000's of cars on there. When you find a car you want look on autotrader to see if you are paying roughly what a similar car is going for on there as it is a good price guide. The obvious things are try to keep the mileage and previous owners down as low as possible and preferably buy off a woman as opposed to a youngster. If the inside looks a bit grubby such as a torn seat etc. chances are the car hasn't been looked after which will mean the engine has been given a bit of a hiding. Depending on how old you are looking at I would try and stick with VW, Vauxhall or Ford because they are more common therefore any parts you need will be cheaper from a scrappy. I work in the motor trade but don't sell second hand cars but if you want any advice when you find a car just drop me a quick PM and I will be more than happy to help.