Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE REASON COUNTY ENDED UP OVER 30PTS CLEAR....

Wed May 05, 2010 10:07 am

they were told if they won the league the hole squad would be taken on an all expenses paid trip to vegas.
every league win the players would be given £1000 extra to take.

part time players, small wages , massive win incentives !!!
to me there should be more of this, stops out and out greed. my mate is the goalkeeper there, hes on £50 a week, but know off to vegas. cant fault it. they have just left !!

( i know its a county thread :? just merely pointing out about wages and incentives ;)

BLUEBIRDS BLUEBIRDS :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: THE REASON COUNTY ENDED UP OVER 30PTS CLEAR....

Wed May 05, 2010 10:17 am

milly44 wrote:they were told if they won the league the hole squad would be taken on an all expenses paid trip to vegas.

to me there should be more of this, stops out and out greed. my mate is the goalkeeper there, hes on £50 a week, but know off to vegas. cant fault it. they have just left !!

( i know its a county thread :? just merely pointing out about wages and incentives ;)

Good for them.

You raise a good point Milly and I think these kinds of deals are on their way back as football wakes up to the realities of the economic downturn.

I remember the Liverpool side of the 1970/80's that were known as one of the worst basic payers but gave huge incentive bonuses. Just look at the success they enjoyed during that period, whilst big payers like Man United and Chelsea floundered.

It has to be the way forward or repeatedly going back and forth to the High Court will really become a way of life for many clubs.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:05 pm

I think it's more the fact they had players like Lee Hughes and Johnnie Jackson playing well below their level!

Wed May 05, 2010 1:55 pm

A certain Mr Brian Clough only paid average wages but huge win bonuses....its been that way in Rugby League for years as well.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:13 pm

its an excellent idea theres 100s of players on obscene money who dont care a shit about the clubs.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:59 pm

Zabier wrote:I think it's more the fact they had players like Lee Hughes and Johnnie Jackson playing well below their level!

Wrong County mate, Milly is on about Newport not Notts.

And Milly they finished 28 points clear

Wed May 05, 2010 7:33 pm

milly44 wrote:they were told if they won the league the hole squad would be taken on an all expenses paid trip to vegas.

That is indeed the way to do it. When I played football, badly, took me years to figure out that I was a shit goalkeeper but a brilliant striker, I blame "three goals an in for that"! Around 83,84,85 possibly earlier, I was with Brecon Corries, third team local league just to get a bit fitter when "we" signed Bob Latchford!!! Sorry the spelling's gone, but he of England Centre Forward Fame, done the rounds a bit in South Wales with Merthyr and some other minor outfit so came to lil'ol' Brecon. I do know what he was paid, one of my great uncles was (club) secretary at the time. The basic "wage" was not that much per game, not per week but per game plus "incentives" for attracting other players. I was well surprised at how little these guys got paid to be honest, some of the frst team players were on £20 - £50 per game, high in those days yes but some of the guys could easily have played 3rd/4rth div football. Most of them had jobs that paid reasonable well so the footy money was a bit of bonus whereas if they'd played professional they'd only be paid £300/£400 a week.

As for Liverpool, a friend of mine was a very (probably still is) good friend of Sammy Lee who I had the pleasure to meet several times. I could not believe, this would have been 81 or poss 82, how little that guy was paid. Won't put the exact figure up but lower Premier reserves will be more in a week! They did have this Shankly system though where they had a players pool, a bonus system if you like, so any money/profits generated during the season were shared out on a basis of games played, injuries, sub appearances, etc. I have absolutely no idea what the players were given, a shit load I'd imagine but was very interesting was it was the captains job to go around all the first team squad and extract contributions to the fund for reserves, youth players, literally the whole set up. All in cash of course, don't want the greedy left to have a share.