Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF CITY IS YOUR NO 1 TEAM BUT

Mon May 03, 2010 7:44 am

Have you any feelings for any other Clubs ?
Also How did you start Supporting CARDIFF CITY ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

BURY TOWN(The shakers), First Club I ever Saw play, My Grandfather(My Mothers father) was born there and was a Season ticket holder and took me 7 times, before I ever saw Cardiff play. Then When I was 7 he was visiting me down here and Marshfield junior School gave me a Free ticket and that was it, I was hooked,He moved down here the following year and we both got Season Tickets for the Bob Bank. Renewed mine every Season since.
In them days it was 50p for me and 50p for OAPs :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Chelsea during the 80s as they were like us, but Chelsea of today I dont like anymore.

Re: CARDIFF CITY IS YOUR NO 1 TEAM BUT

Mon May 03, 2010 7:49 am

Southend Utd as I live 15 mins from Roots Hall. Alas they were relegated to Div 2 this season and like ourselves have had money problems. Also like the Villa. How many is that? :lol:

Mon May 03, 2010 7:55 am

Chelsea. First team I watched and therefore supported.

Once I moved to Wales I started watching Cardiff and have done so ever since. I still watch Chelsea when I can but I've been thru so much with Cardiff they are easily my number 1 team. :ayatollah:

Mon May 03, 2010 7:58 am

i have a soft spot for........................................ :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: ;) guess

Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 am

bluebirdbaz wrote:i have a soft spot for........................................ :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: ;) guess

Easter EGGS :lol:

Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 am

ive always been brought up to be man united. :oops: always followed city's results when they came thro . my old man wouldnt take me to watch the city when i was growing up because he reckons it was to " rough " :oops: :oops: took my eldest daughter to our first visit to ninian park around 6 years ago now and both of us havent looked back. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 03, 2010 8:04 am

A number teams due to moving around.

My Mother and Father divorced when I was about 7 years old and I went to live with my Mother for a few years in Birmingham. I lived there for 4 years and used to watch Birmingham City and remember the year they got promoted to the old Division One in 1971 (I think)

When I was in the Army I shared a barrack room at one point with Raith Rovers and Glasgow Rangers fans. I went to see both play when they met in the Scottish League Cup in 1981 and I have had a soft spot for both since.

When I lived in the North East I watched Newcastle and whilst living in Germany I watched SV Hambrug.

As a boy I was a Manchester United fan and went to Ninian Park in 1974 to watch United play City as an away fan to my ultimate shame. I began going to Ninian Park in 1977 during the famous cup run (Spurs, Wrexham and Everton) and remember the famous games against Hereford etc.

However, I really didn't get the bug until the 1993 season with the famous Eddie May promotion team. My first children were young then so I used to go to about 10 home games per season.

Eventually it became worthwhile buying a season ticket which I did and since 2003 my son has also been a ST Holder. My 6 year old daughter has been to 4 games this year and will attend more next season.

Mon May 03, 2010 8:08 am

I've always have taken an interest in the local club where I have been living. Here are a list of some of them:

Ireland Cork
Saudi Arabia Al Hilal
Bahrain Murrahriq
France Toulouse
Spain Seville
USA Jacksonville

While in the UK I usually I usually have a list of teams to choose from but most times goes for those with the most Welsh players. I live or based right in the middle of the triangle Derby, Forest and Leicester and due to my preference in Burton Albion.

Mon May 03, 2010 8:13 am

Glasgow Rangers.

Got taken to a game by my uncle in 1983, Ally McCoist had just signed for Rangers and Jock Wallace was Rangers Manager, I went to a pre season friendly against Leicester City and it ended 2 all.

Mon May 03, 2010 8:24 am

ive only ever supported cardiff city but i do have abit of a soft spot for bristol rovers as i live across the road from the ground... :ayatollah: still ant been there though.. :lol:

Mon May 03, 2010 8:29 am

bristolbluebird37 wrote:ive only ever supported cardiff city but i do have abit of a soft spot for bristol rovers as i live across the road from the ground... :ayatollah: still ant been there though.. :lol:

We'll let you off going up to support them against dirty Leeds... :lol:

Mon May 03, 2010 8:37 am

90% of my mates are Man Utd fans so I have been to OT a few times and I always find myself looking out for their result.

Started watching Cardiff when I was 12.Thinking back I think the reason I started was in my area the older lads use to come back from a match and sing cardiff songs around the streets so I asked my best mate in school to go to a match. We ended up going in the grange end which was all home supporters then and no roof. The atmosphere was mad and we loved it. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 03, 2010 8:39 am

Can honestly say I could not give a hairy bollock about any other team.

Mon May 03, 2010 8:56 am

Been blue since the age of 4 - first game my Dad took me in the Grange end on his shoulders to watch Phil Dwyer the rest is history.

Missed a few seasons when travelling/living abroad but always followed what/where the team were during these times.

Because my Dad had a girl that loved footie he also took me to OT (that was his "top" team after Cardiff ) as a kid and i remember the trip to this day was a special thing and massive experience in the days back when lol - Been there a few times since and follow them when on tv but do not have "passion" for them.

As would i take my boy to watch top flight team football if i had the opportuntity and tickets - OH :o play offs soon I could well fulfill his dreams as a travelling boy to watch top flight games around UK :lol: :lol:

:ayatollah:

Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 am

Jez wrote:Been blue since the age of 4 - first game my Dad took me in the Grange end on his shoulders to watch Phil Dwyer the rest is history.

Missed a few seasons when travelling/living abroad but always followed what/where the team were during these times.

Because my Dad had a girl that loved footie he also took me to OT (that was his "top" team after Cardiff ) as a kid and i remember the trip to this day was a special thing and massive experience in the days back when lol - Been there a few times since and follow them when on tv but do not have "passion" for them.

As would i take my boy to watch top flight team football if i had the opportuntity and tickets - OH :o play offs soon I could well fulfill his dreams as a travelling boy to watch top flight games around UK :lol: :lol:

Bury and Cardiff are both Blue and White :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 03, 2010 8:59 am

Forever Blue wrote:Have you any feelings for any other Clubs ?
Also How did you start Supporting CARDIFF CITY ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

BURY TOWN(The shakers), First Club I ever Saw play, My Grandfather(My Mothers father) was born there and was a Season ticket holder and took me 7 times, before I ever saw Cardiff play. Then When I was 7 he was visiting me down here and Marshfield junior School gave me a Free ticket and that was it, I was hooked,He moved down here the following year and we both got Season Tickets for the Bob Bank. Renewed mine every Season since.
In them days it was 50p for me and 50p for OAPs :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Chelsea during the 80s as they were like us, but Chelsea of today I dont like anymore.

After yesterday - DONCASTER ! :ayatollah:

Nah, i went to watch forest a few times when i lived up there and I like the ground and enjoyed the footy they played, but don't really give a shit about anykone but us.

My 2nd team is cardiff City reserves. :ayatollah:

Your story shows the sense in handing out free kids tickets. Talking to my mates last night and ALL our kids are in to the City now

Mon May 03, 2010 9:02 am

Lawnmower wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Have you any feelings for any other Clubs ?

After yesterday - DONCASTER ! :ayatollah:

Nah, i went to watch forest a few times when i lived up there and I like the ground and enjoyed the footy they played, but don't really give a shit about anykone but us.

My 2nd team is cardiff City reserves. :ayatollah:

Your story shows the sense in handing out free kids tickets. Talking to my mates last night and ALL our kids are in to the City now

Tim,

I keep telling the Staff at Cardiff City about Tickets for Children, but it usually falls on Deaf ears.

Mon May 03, 2010 9:03 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Jez wrote:Been blue since the age of 4 - first game my Dad took me in the Grange end on his shoulders to watch Phil Dwyer the rest is history.

Bury and Cardiff are both Blue and White :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ya bugger but Phil didnt play for Bury ;)

Mon May 03, 2010 9:22 am

Your story shows the sense in handing out free kids tickets. Talking to my mates last night and ALL our kids are in to the City now[/quote]

Tim,

I keep telling the Staff at Cardiff City about Tickets for Children, but it usually falls on Deaf ears.[/quote]

Its only by going to the ground and experiencing the ATMOSPHERE that people get hooked - especially kids.

The 2 coners of the Canton are empty virtually every week -its a total waste.

We are at a real high point at the moment, even if we don't go up we have some fabulous players and at times have played brilliant footy this year, the Championship is a fantastic league NOW is the time we should be looking to capture as many kids as possible.

Maybe the boardroom changes will see a longer term approach to this issue and a bit more plan ning rathet than just trying to grab an extra £20 here and there.

Re: CARDIFF CITY IS YOUR and c NO 1 TEAM BUT

Mon May 03, 2010 9:52 am

i first got interested in football when i was six and Man Utd were my team my parents used to take me to most of their home games and some away (still glad i got to watch the likes of george best,bobby charlton etc play) anyway deceided one day to go and see City play ,so for a couple of years watched both then i had a thought one day if city played utd who would i realy want to win and of course it was city. So even tho im city thru & thru still got a soft spot for utd but were gonna beat them next season :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 03, 2010 10:36 am

No ifs or buts, I grew up in ALL BLUE NEATH. So straight away I have supported the City for 40 yrs. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Someone did say there was a team down the road but for the like of me I don't know WHO!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 03, 2010 10:44 am

Liverpool - purely because my dad was born and brought up there so taught us as kids to support liverpool and my first ever football match was liverpool V newcastle in november 98 then went to city in feb 99 city V darlo and have been hooked on city since but i admit i do still check the liverpool scores. :ayatollah:

Mon May 03, 2010 10:54 am

bluebirdbaz wrote:i have a soft spot for........................................ :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: ;) guess

Your right hand?

Mon May 03, 2010 11:12 am

My Dad took me to my first city game in 1977 or 1978, a 1-0 win v Wrexham when Ronnie Moore scored, Dai Davies was in goal for Wrexham and I was sitting in, I'm pretty sure, block B in the Grandstand. Loved the City ever since but the bloke in front of me annoyed me with his constant standing up and shouting whenever anything dodgy happened :lol: I do it all the time myself, so no doubt there is an 8 year old kid getting annoyed by me sitting behind me! :lol: :lol: Been going again regularly since moving to Porthcawl in 2002.

I moved to Surrey from Dinas Powys in 1981 and, in 1984, me and my mate went to Tottenham v Man United, which was played on the saturday between the 1st and 2nd legs of Tottenham's UEFA Cup final with Anderlecht. The 1st leg in Brussels was a day long riot, so when United came with their travelling hordes it was game on for the Tottenham nutters (the days before banning orders). I remember where we were standing was right in line with the away terracing and in them days (the height of the football casual scene) they used to open the away end, pen by pen. Thre were dozens of United climbing over the fences heading towards the home fans, it was a time bomb waiting to go off, big time. And, when it did, it just exploded. It was at that point, me and my mate, 15 at the time, realised why you should never lean on a terrace barrier :shock: :lol: :lol: we had the full weight a few dozen of 16 stone, psychopathic nutters throwing coins and bottles at the United fans over our heads, screaming abuse and using us as good points of leverage. When we had to leave, the Utd fans were just a line of coppers away from us and it was a miracle nothing happened. Just think Chelsea v Cardiff but with less police separating the 2 sets of fans!

It was from then I was hooked with London football, really. I used to watch the City when they came to London and Aldershot, as it was my nearest ground. But, back then, the City were playing to such small crowds and getting my mates to come with me was a real chore, seeing as they'd rather go to the big games in London that offered better football, bigger crowds and more excitement. It was a case of Arsenal v West Ham or Leyton Orient v Cardiff. To me, no contest, to a neutral, no contest, but the big game always won out.

I always keep a look out for Hamburg SV results (I'm a HSV member) and also a little club called FC Mamer 32

Mon May 03, 2010 11:12 am

As you all know I watch Merthyr quite alot as its local team.
I have a soft spot for Rangers as they are proud to be British like me.
And Arsenal but not so much anymore, I used to "support" them when I was younger. Still look out for them but its not the same

Mon May 03, 2010 12:10 pm

No other interest in any other team, i am City through and through. I first got involved with a bunch of Rumney boys who were meeting a bunch of Bolton (sure it was Bolton) for a friendly chat and a slice of cake. Anyway i was hooked and never looked back.

City till i die. :ayatollah:

Mon May 03, 2010 12:14 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:No other interest in any other team, i am City through and through. I first got involved with a bunch of Rumney boys who were meeting a bunch of Bolton (sure it was Bolton) for a friendly chat and a slice of cake. Anyway i was hooked and never looked back.

What cake was it? :lol: :lol:

Mon May 03, 2010 12:17 pm

as a school boy it was always liverpool, didnt even know our club existed, but back then a trip from the valleys to cardiff was like a holiday lol with no duel carridgeways :D

but got taken to a match down the ninian one game in 83 and got the bug,
i still used to follow (watching on tv and reading about in the paper) liverpool, up until about 4 years ago but now i dont even worry about results, its all cardiff.

Mon May 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Cardiff is the only team I care about but I do keep a look out for Carmarthen and Aberystwyth’s results.

Aberystwyth more these days as my boss is the secretary at the club and keeps asking me to go down and support the lads, which is convenient when they have Friday night games as I can go for a pint and watch a game of footie before travelling back home from work.

Mon May 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:
shinyBlueGlue wrote:No other interest in any other team, i am City through and through. I first got involved with a bunch of Rumney boys who were meeting a bunch of Bolton (sure it was Bolton) for a friendly chat and a slice of cake. Anyway i was hooked and never looked back.

What cake was it? :lol: :lol:

Did i say Cake :lol: :ayatollah: