Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Merthyr / Three tier drop

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Can anyone explain to me please why Merthyr are in danger of dropping down three leagues as im confused ? Thanks

Re: Merthyr / Three tier drop

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Craig wrote:Can anyone explain to me please why Merthyr are in danger of dropping down three leagues as im confused ? Thanks

They are reforming as Merthyr Town

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:30 pm

Cf39 wrote:
Craig wrote:Can anyone explain to me please why Merthyr are in danger of dropping down three leagues as im confused ? Thanks

They are reforming as Merthyr Town

But they still go down two tiers even if they dont finish bottom four? And three tiers if they do finish bottom four?
But how does changing names (Im assuming they are not fully reforming) force them to drop any divisions at all?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:33 pm

I think its what they wanted apparantly I think its their idea to drop down the divisions and sort themselves out , they informed the fa and they agreed to it !!!!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:45 pm

merthyr Tydfil will be no more after the end of the season. they are going into liquidation, which is worse than admin. its a complete closure of the business.

They are starting again, prob as Merthyr Town.

The penalty for this is relegation of 2 divisions. This will be added on to the relegation they will be getting if they don't get the points they need. (Thus 3 divisions)

Hope that helps.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Lawnmower wrote:merthyr Tydfil will be no more after the end of the season. they are going into liquidation, which is worse than admin. its a complete closure of the business.

They are starting again, prob as Merthyr Town.

The penalty for this is relegation of 2 divisions. This will be added on to the relegation they will be getting if they don't get the points they need. (Thus 3 divisions)

Hope that helps.

Thanks Lawnmower - makes perfect sense now! Good luck for the weekend then Merthyr

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 pm

I watched Merthyr few days ago with other Cardiff fans, great value for a fiver.
Good Luck Merthyr - Hope you stay up.... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Merthyr were told by the english FA they should join the welsh league if they are liquidated but Merthyr convinced the FA that they want to stay in the english pyramid and the FA allowed them but on condition they drop 2 divisions but if they are relegated through normal conditions ie. finishing in bottom 4 then they go down 3 divisions.

But in a huge twist it turns out that if Methyr do finish in the bottom 4 the liklehood is that they wont be relegated 3 divisions because of Merthyr's away following, because they regularly take 70+ away fans then the grounds they would visit 3 divisions below the league they are in now, could not accomodate them, so the likely scenario is that they will drop 2 divisions regardless of finishing in the bottom 4 or not.