Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY HONEST OPINION AFTER REALLY THINKING

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Sorry to be So negative, but I dont believe none of the existing Cardiff City Squad will be good enough to be in our first team if we were promoted to the Premier league next season, except for Marshal and even though I am a Big Burke fan, but I dont believe he has the quality to be in their.

Please give me your Opinions why any of the others would be good enough to be in the First Team.

Re: MY HONEST OPINION AFTER REALLY THINKING

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm not so sure about that ramsey,johnson and jerome have all down well in the premiership so why cant some our current squad.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:12 pm

stickywicket wrote:I'm not so sure about that ramsey,johnson and jerome have all down well in the premiership so why cant some our current squad.

Which ones of This Current Squad ?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:14 pm

Ledley , Bothroyd and Chopra would walk into any bottom 6 Prem team at the mo and maybe a fit Mc Cormack ? Being realistic too if we do go up then survival is the name of the game :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:18 pm

marshall,mcnaughtton,blake,mathews,burke,ledley and even whittingham and chopra the premiership is a different type of football that may suit some of our boys,there are quite a few ordinary teams up there :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:20 pm

I think that with the extra bit of time you tend to get on the ball in the Premiership Whitts would be okay and so would Burkey but they are both a bit too lightweight in all honesty.

Kevin Mcnaughton would do fine but his distribution from the back is poor. Marshall would get found out a lot more by staying on his line as much as he does.

Chops and Bothroyd would be okay without really threatening to set the world on fire.

We'd have to hope we do just enough to survive really.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Dont agree with you Annis, I think Marshall, McNaughton, Burke, Ledley, Mcphail, Whittingham, Chopra, Bothroyd and McCormack could all play in the premiership.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:34 pm

carlccfc wrote:Dont agree with you Annis, I think Marshall, McNaughton, Burke, Ledley, Mcphail, Whittingham, Chopra, Bothroyd and McCormack could all play in the premiership.

and matthews eventually and wigda or whatever his name is but f**k that orange c**t feeney off :D

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Bothroyd has the first touch to play their,Whittingham has the class to play their and Mathews and Ledley could make it as well.Marshall is a good keeper and would do a job but many of the others would need to step up their game just to become sqaud players.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:45 pm

sorry annis dont agree, i think if you put our squad up against the top 10 teams in the prem, then of course they will all fall well short of whats required. but put them up against, wolves,fulham,brum,burnley,hull,wigan,maybe bolton.i think some,maybe not all would do a job, after all your first season is all about survival...

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Your right they would prob play them but they in My Opinion they would get slaughtered.
McCormack Never, J had his chance just not good enough, Chops failed in the Premier, Ledley to slow.
I am going to get slaughtered and Matthews has not even proved himself in this Division.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Chops never had the chance but when he played he scored goals.

After watching the 1st half of the Chelsea game I feel some are going to be very surprised of some of the players that will make it in the premiership. I think there are going ot be quite a few making it.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Chops never had the chance but when he played he scored goals.

After watching the 1st half of the Chelsea game I feel some are going to be very surprised of some of the players that will make it in the premiership. I think there are going ot be quite a few making it.

iAN, BUT ITS EASY TO RAISE YOUR GAME FOR A ONE OFF GAME, BUT 40 GAMES, Sorry in my opinion No chance, see you Saturday for a Drink and a Toast to the play offs. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:54 pm

i think a few of our players would make it in the premiership to be honest annis, I reckon ledley, bothroyd, whitts, burke & chopra would do a descent job in the premiership, (i think chopra has probably learned alot since playing for sunderland in the prem!!!

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:59 pm

At the end of last season I had written off a good number of this present squad as simply not good enough and lacking the heart for a good battle.

Fair play they have proved me completely wrong and for one example the 22 goals from Peter Whittingham is nothing short of astonishing.

With that in mind it is hard to predict that this current squad would be out of its depth in the Premier League, even if the heart and the head says that they will.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:25 pm

annis, do u mean marshal, as our goalkeeper in the prem, or 2nd keeper?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:28 pm

ninianblue wrote:annis, do u mean marshal, as our goalkeeper in the prem, or 2nd keeper?

As 2nd .

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:01 pm

I think Marshall is as good as up to 6 or 7 of the keepers currently in the Prem(including the two at Arsenal !) .

Of the others I think Whitts could be the surprise package. You get more time to play in the Prem and that would suit him down to the ground.

Chops and Jay certainly have the ability, it's just a matter of whether they now have the mentality.

McPhail is another who would benefit from having more time on the ball.

Funnily enough I don't think Ledley is a sure fire success at Prem, he would have to get back to his very best of almost 2 years ago to do it.

At the back, defensively McNaughton would do OK but his distribution may get found out. Gerrard and Blake would be a risk but certainly would be good squad players at the very least.

We have to be realistic. We will need to be comparing ourselves to teams like Burnley, Hull, Pompey, Wigan, West Ham, Bolton, WBA, etc. When you do that it's not quite so scary :shock: :D :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:03 pm

I think Warren Feeney could do a job in the Premiership for us ---------Perhaps sell programmes?? :lol: :lol:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:05 pm

I think McNaughton would cut it at that level. Our defence seem's more able to cope when he is in the back 4. McNaughton, the unsung hero of the Cardiff Squad.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
ninianblue wrote:annis, do u mean marshal, as our goalkeeper in the prem, or 2nd keeper?

As 2nd .

ok ,im sorry ,i will take back all the names i called you :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:28 am

Mcnaughton, Burke, Bothroyd, Mathews, Ledley, Whittingham and Mcphail I think would be ok. Mathews hasn't proved himself at this level but Ramsey didn't play many games and look how well he has done at Arsenal. Mathews is only 17 but looks class when he does play, Mcnaughton is fast, tackles well and is good going forward so he will be ok. Chopra will need to score a couple in the first few games for his confidence although he does miss a lot of chances he may not get in the Premiership but I think he will be ok. Ledley wouldn't have attracted bids of £4-5 million if he wasn't good enough, Whittingham and Mcphail will have more time on the ball which will suit them and Bothroyd is a good target man who I think will have something to prove. If we do go up I think we will need to buy or loan at least 6-7 players but I would rather come straight back down and gamble with the clubs future by paying over the top wages to attract players like Hull, Pompey and a couple of other teams have done.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 am

Matches against Premiership teams in the past have shown McNaughton, Chopra, Bothroyd, Gerrard, Ledley and Burke are all good enough. Whittingham and Marshall might be. The question is though, will they be good enough consistently?

If we went up I'd struggle to see how we'd stay up unless the Malaysians really took the bull by the horns. I mean by expanding the stadium, giving Jones £20m to spend and really going for it.

However, it won't happen. That's why I'm not too worried if we don't go up because I think a season in the Championship will allow the Malaysians to settle in, sort out their shop and have us better prepared. Saying that, look at our division next season. It's going to be a lot harder! I think I'd like to get out now and secure parachute payments for the next 3-4 years!

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:04 am

Burke is easliy a premiership standard player. His skill on the ball and his crossing is awesome, and he has good pace. I think he'll easily be in the premiership.

I also think Whitts can be a low-standard premiership player.

Marshall is definatly, but he can be a bit dodgy when punching the ball away from the line.

Matthews will be a Premiership standard player when he's older. Definatly.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:I think Warren Feeney could do a job in the Premiership for us ---------Perhaps sell programmes?? :lol: :lol:

Thankyou Saddles for your input.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:I think Warren Feeney could do a job in the Premiership for us ---------Perhaps sell programmes?? :lol: :lol:
that tickled me, but not very positive is it :D :lol: