Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THAT WHAT I REALLY LOVE ABOUT FOOTBALL

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:50 am

Last night at Merthyr, Not only did you see passion/guts and bottle by the Merthyr players to beat 3rd place Brackley, Remember these players are on less than £80 a week.
I agree it was cold last night and a sparse crowd but thats what happens when you have had 20 years of struggling, a bit like Cardiff City in the 80's and 90's.
Merthyr are taking nearly 200 fans to Swindon Supermarine on Saturday, thats what I call real fans and I do miss those days, if I was going to Sheff Wed home game I would go. But Cardiff City are My First team and always will be, but it is great to go and Support a Local Team. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: THAT WHAT I REALLY LOVE ABOUT FOOTBALL

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:56 am

I was actually up in Merthyr last night with my girlfriend's family. Saw the lights of Penydarren Park on as I drove past. Glad to see they won and I want to look at attending more games in the future.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 am

I used to watch a few of Merthyr's games the 1st season they were up in the Conference but must admit I havnt been up there a lot over the past few years apart from the odd pre season friendly or Wales U21 game .

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:35 am

A few years ago I ended up on an away trip with them, we were due to play bolton away in the fa cup and the game was called off !!! driving back home we saw the Martyrs were playing Burton Albion so we rang a few mobiles and around 40 of descended on Buton, The old bill didnt know what was happening when ccfc flags were unfurled and a few of their mob who may have been stoke having a nosey tried to charge us in the car park !!! lol

Ever since I try to pop over 3/4 times a season and I would defo class Merthyr as my second club :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 am

I've done my stint watching non-league football. I used to watch Woking on a regular basis as they were my local team (I actually saw Merthyr play them twice, the 2nd time an almighty 20 man brawl broke out and 2 players were sent off, don't you just love those scraps?) but non-league football isn't my bag anymore.

Good luck to Merthyr though and I hope they can avoid the bottom 4 so they can get demoted to a higher division and I hope it all works out for them. But Porthcawl to Merthyr is a 90 mile round trip and I don't really fancy that. I look out for their results and hope it works out as well as possible for them

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:51 am

Nottage Blue wrote:I've done my stint watching non-league football. I used to watch Woking on a regular basis as they were my local team (I actually saw Merthyr play them twice, the 2nd time an almighty 20 man brawl broke out and 2 players were sent off, don't you just love those scraps?) but non-league football isn't my bag anymore.

Good luck to Merthyr though and I hope they can avoid the bottom 4 so they can get demoted to a higher division and I hope it all works out for them. But Porthcawl to Merthyr is a 90 mile round trip and I don't really fancy that. I look out for their results and hope it works out as well as possible for them

Many football fans are turning to non lague simply cos of cost. The product is not as good but we are all not driving Ferrari's.

At the end of the day it is 22 men kicking a bag of wind around trying to get it into an onion bag.

The cost on the gate is a fraction as is the grub, You can get a beer without too much hassle, you can watch from anywhere you want and there are no restrictions on travel.

Cardiff will always be my team and my season ticket for next season is already purchased, however I have seen myself drawn to Merthyr this season and really enjoy my trips to non league football.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:54 am

Penydarren Park was the 1st ever football ground that I was able to buy chips in many years ago , the food there was like Hilton compared to the shite that Ninian Park could offer back in the 80's !

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:16 am

Forever Blue wrote:Last night at Merthyr, Not only did you see passion/guts and bottle by the Merthyr players to beat 3rd place Brackley, Remember these players are on less than £80 a week.
I agree it was cold last night and a sparse crowd but thats what happens when you have had 20 years of struggling, a bit like Cardiff City in the 80's and 90's.
Merthyr are taking nearly 200 fans to Swindon Supermarine on Saturday, thats what I call real fans and I do miss those days, if I was going to Sheff Wed home game I would go. But Cardiff City are My First team and always will be, but it is great to go and Support a Local Team. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I was there last night with 4 of my friends. We are all City fans. I was going to chat to you, but you were talking to 2 or 3 other blokes in the bar at half time. We all enjoyed it last night, passionate crowd and also the last goal from Merthyr which must have been from about 35 yards out. It was worth it for £5. Value for money. Will attend again. Roll on Saturday.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:18 am

Fantastic last night, it highlighted my love for football.
Merthyr showed guts passion and determination when thier backs were to the wall and they pulled through.
The crowd was fantastic and there was some good banter down there.
Come on MERTHYR! :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:26 am

COLD !!!

good guts and determination, and good backing from the fns there, first time iv been up there....glad i went, met some good people, if a tad nuts :lol:

£2 a pint, and £1.50 curry and chips :o :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 am

milly44 wrote:COLD !!!

good guts and determination, and good backing from the fns there, first time iv been up there....glad i went, met some good people, if a tad nuts :lol:

£2 a pint, and £1.50 curry and chips :o :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Penydarren Park is cold in the middle of summer ! :lol:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Good to see a fair chunk of City fans at the Park last night, all rewarded with a good old battle and a top result for us.

As Annis said to me last night, watching the Martyrs away is totally different to home Matches atmosphere wise, at home is seems the life has been sucked out of alot of us with 20odd years of struggle all coming to a head this season, but away we certainly adopt a different attitude which will be shown again this week.

It was a performance that until January we had come to expect from the lads, they have been teriffic to be fair, and I would like to thank every one of you City fans who were there last night, and in previous games for doing your bit, cheers for the introduction to a few of them Annis.

Staying up is very much now back in our hands, and a win Saturday should be enough to see us safe, and I cant wait for the NEW club, new begining and something for us all at Merthyr to get our teeth into.

I wish Cardiff well on the weekend, and in the play offs do the business lads....

Dont forget Friday morning Cheggs ha ha :D

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:25 pm

A lot of you have summoned it up, Great passion is what football is all about. Plus cheap drink/food and only £8 entrance(Free under 16) or £5 for Cardiff Season ticket holders, Value for money is what its all about. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:27 pm

So if the Martyrs do stay up then what happens next season ?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:43 pm

Fantastic result, and a good night

and as rich said that annis said ( :? ) the atmosphere away is brilliant, its better than CCS for sure.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:So if the Martyrs do stay up then what happens next season ?

I tyhink they drop 2 divisions but if the finish in the relegation places they drop 3

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:
Martyn1963 wrote:So if the Martyrs do stay up then what happens next season ?

I tyhink they drop 2 divisions but if the finish in the relegation places they drop 3

Correct

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Back to back promotion will probably follow :ayatollah: . They played really werll last night and could have crated alot more chances ith the ball they had.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Pompey wrote:Back to back promotion will probably follow :ayatollah: . They played really werll last night and could have crated alot more chances ith the ball they had.

Thats the aim :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:23 pm

so what are the 2 possible leagues / divisions they can end up in next season ?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:15 pm

Right, lets stay we avoid relegation this season. But the club goes gets liquidated in the summer and the FA allow us to reform in the English Pyramid then we would start two leaguse below where we are now, which is either The Helenic League or the Western Legaue. However if we get relegated this season then we would be relegaled three divisions, which is the league below the Western/Helenic league.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Yes and the prices are affordable,like city used to be,a chance to take your kids and some of their friends to a game,wont happen now because it costs an arm and a leg just to get in.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:32 pm

valleys bigboy wrote:Right, lets stay we avoid relegation this season. But the club goes gets liquidated in the summer and the FA allow us to reform in the English Pyramid then we would start two leaguse below where we are now, which is either The Helenic League or the Western Legaue. However if we get relegated this season then we would be relegaled three divisions, which is the league below the Western/Helenic league.

They might not go down 3 leagues because believe it or not their Away Support is so big that under Safety and the grounds regulations, it wouldnt be safe to play Merthyr every week. The secretary of Merthyr told me this last night.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
valleys bigboy wrote:Right, lets stay we avoid relegation this season. But the club goes gets liquidated in the summer and the FA allow us to reform in the English Pyramid then we would start two leaguse below where we are now, which is either The Helenic League or the Western Legaue. However if we get relegated this season then we would be relegaled three divisions, which is the league below the Western/Helenic league.

They might not go down 3 leagues because believe it or not their Away Support is so big that under Safety and the grounds regulations, it wouldnt be safe to play Merthyr every week. The secretary of Merthyr told me this last night.

Some of the grounds in the Western League are bad, lower than that they are nothing more than parks pitches. I'll just wait and see what the FA say. I have my own thoughts on what they'll do, but rather keep them to myself.