Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sheer Madness

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Company I work for are currently doing a lot of work for RAF St Athan. We sub our electrical and plumbing work out to contractors. Two of the sparkies came to me yesterday and said ' Even though we work in your buildings when we get to site at St Athan we have to take an eye test ', I replied ' why ? '

' So we can cross the runway ! '

Health and Safety madness, one of the best yet.

Another 2 days ago we send 2 carpenters and an apprentice to Kent to fit a flight of stairs, the 2 Chippies are refused entry on to the site but the apprentice aged 17 yrs is ok. The Chippies got 25 and 28 yrs time served but they dont hold a CSCS card. :roll:

Re: Sheer Madness

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:16 pm

carlccfc wrote:Company I work for are currently doing a lot of work for RAF St Athan. We sub our electrical and plumbing work out to contractors. Two of the sparkies came to me yesterday and said ' Even though we work in your buildings when we get to site at St Athan we have to take an eye test ', I replied ' why ? '

' So we can cross the runway ! '

Health and Safety madness, one of the best yet.

Another 2 days ago we send 2 carpenters and an apprentice to Kent to fit a flight of stairs, the 2 Chippies are refused entry on to the site but the apprentice aged 17 yrs is ok. The Chippies got 25 and 28 yrs time served but they dont hold a CSCS card. :roll:

the world and our country and the way its run pisses me off more and more each day.

its a piss take and that being nice :(

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:22 pm

if he had a turbanon, he'd be granted access to the planes, cockpit and weapons :twisted:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:38 pm

your all wrong

blame american and spongers not the goverment or the HSE, its blame culture thats made all these happen.

carl i can only presume your workers although workingin a building had to cross a runway to get there, simple request thatanyone on a runway knows the different colours of safety to cross or not to, or would you be happy having to knock their front door to point out that they were dead to a wife and 2 kids

milly if you sent 3 blokes irrelevent of age or years served to site and only one had the relevent paperwork to enter its your comanys falt not the site managers, the rules are there to protect your worker and other workers if they have a not got paperwork who is to say they have been trained in the correct procedures to safeguard not only them but other workers on site

ben it was not their heads in question but their eyes, and he would have been ok to cross the runway wearing a tuban but not ok to go onto a works site

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:46 pm

cscs cards are a must to work on 90% of construction sites, most of my boys have got them, they are more concerned about the H&s test than being a tradesman

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:07 pm

The Premier 1 wrote:your all wrong

blame american and spongers not the goverment or the HSE, its blame culture thats made all these happen.

carl i can only presume your workers although workingin a building had to cross a runway to get there, simple request thatanyone on a runway knows the different colours of safety to cross or not to, or would you be happy having to knock their front door to point out that they were dead to a wife and 2 kids

milly if you sent 3 blokes irrelevent of age or years served to site and only one had the relevent paperwork to enter its your comanys falt not the site managers, the rules are there to protect your worker and other workers if they have a not got paperwork who is to say they have been trained in the correct procedures to safeguard not only them but other workers on site

ben it was not their heads in question but their eyes, and he would have been ok to cross the runway wearing a tuban but not ok to go onto a works site

Nips with regard to colour blindness they are electricians so basically they can wire the building but not to cross the runway ?

Also with regards to the 3 men we sent to site, the building and the site is our site until we hand over the building to the client, it is the middle men from the UK Contractors group who oversee these projects, it's a joke Nips.

Dont even get me on Nuclear Fuel sites now they are the absolute worse, those bastards accompany you to the toilet.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:09 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:cscs cards are a must to work on 90% of construction sites, most of my boys have got them, they are more concerned about the H&s test than being a tradesman

Unless you say you forgot it Baz and promise to bring it in and it is another money making exercise

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:11 pm

carlccfc wrote:
bluebirdbaz wrote:cscs cards are a must to work on 90% of construction sites, most of my boys have got them, they are more concerned about the H&s test than being a tradesman

Unless you say you forgot it Baz and promise to bring it in and it is another money making exercise
carl i agree its a f*cking joke citb and all the quangos are making a mint from them, there are new ones called chas now you seen them

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:14 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

carl i agree its a f*cking joke citb and all the quangos are making a mint from them, there are new ones called chas now you seen them

Quango's your right and no but I just googled it :evil:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:16 pm

someone in the row in front of me just told me to stop playing with my phone and if I dont like the film I should leave. :evil:

cheeky bastards :D

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:17 pm

chas= certified health and safety scheme

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:20 pm

carlccfc wrote:someone in the row in front of me just told me to stop playing with my phone and if I dont like the film I should leave. :evil:

cheeky bastards :D

hahahahahaha classic

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

unfortunatlly carl you dont take a colour test when becoming an electrician nor has it become a request on any of the recent editions,
therefor the guard or site manager was only looking out for your workers,
these rules are there for a reason mate and normally to save lives,
also long before any work would have been carried out on this site your company would have (well im hoping so) has a contractors agreement to read and sign, stating that the person at the top of the tree (director/owner) will instruct HR/HSE/foreman with the rules and requirements,or at least hand the document down to hs dept for them to instruct the foremen/workers of the site requirements. this including site test, hi-viz, safety boots and whatever.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:12 pm

worked on the carpark cardiff bay,had a pair of shorts on was told to get off site by site manager,when i confronted him and told him the safety barriers were missing and anybody could fall over 40ft,he just told me 2 wrongs dont make it right.owww and the main contractor was mcalpine.to much time given to easy pickings like hi-viz,boots,hard hat,cscs,im not saying we dont need this stuff but we need to prioritise :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:23 pm

carlccfc wrote:
The Premier 1 wrote:your all wrong

blame american and spongers not the government or the HSE, its blame culture that's made all these happen.

carl i can only presume your workers although working in a building had to cross a runway to get there, simple request that anyone on a runway knows the different colours of safety to cross or not to, or would you be happy having to knock their front door to point out that they were dead to a wife and 2 kids

milly if you sent 3 blokes irrelevant of age or years served to site and only one had the relevant paperwork to enter its your company's fault not the site managers, the rules are there to protect your worker and other workers if they have a not got paperwork who is to say they have been trained in the correct procedures to safeguard not only them but other workers on site

ben it was not their heads in question but their eyes, and he would have been ok to cross the runway wearing a turban but not ok to go onto a works site

Nips with regard to colour blindness they are electricians so basically they can wire the building but not to cross the runway ?

Also with regards to the 3 men we sent to site, the building and the site is our site until we hand over the building to the client, it is the middle men from the UK Contractors group who oversee these projects, it's a joke Nips.

Dont even get me on Nuclear Fuel sites now they are the absolute worse, those bastards accompany you to the toilet.

Ahh that's my job :lol: told to give a hand when necessary :lol: :lol: :lol: P.S can you send some female contractors next time :lol: :lol:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:36 pm

The Premier 1 wrote:unfortunately carl you dont take a colour test when becoming an electrician nor has it become a request on any of the recent editions,
therefor the guard or site manager was only looking out for your workers,
these rules are there for a reason mate and normally to save lives,
also long before any work would have been carried out on this site your company would have (well im hoping so) has a contractors agreement to read and sign, stating that the person at the top of the tree (director/owner) will instruct HR/HSE/foreman with the rules and requirements,or at least hand the document down to hs dept for them to instruct the foremen/workers of the site requirements. this including site test, hi-viz, safety boots and whatever.

For a reason BOLLOX !! if you cant see a bloody plane coming then you deserve to be ran over :lol: Its just one of Labours non jobs a total waste of money, a waste of time, I really detest at having to be told by the state on how to do the bloody obvious. They treat you like Junior school kids. I then had the green cross code on how to cross the road i found it really useful being six. Now roll on into adult hood and how do i cross the runway more or less the same as how id cross the friggin rd but now i will up as well. Welcome to the year 2010 when you are now told how to act, think, on how to behave. f**k this ERA. :evil:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 pm

krab wrote:worked on the carpark cardiff bay,had a pair of shorts on was told to get off site by site manager,when i confronted him and told him the safety barriers were missing and anybody could fall over 40ft,he just told me 2 wrongs dont make it right.owww and the main contractor was mcalpine.to much time given to easy pickings like hi-viz,boots,hard hat,cscs,im not saying we dont need this stuff but we need to prioritise :ayatollah:

Spot on Krab where i work you have to wear safety glasses to go down a flight of stairs just in case you get a spec of dust in your eyes whilst ignoring the bloody obvious on some real hazards. Non jobs for non people earning a massive wage as well for coming up with this shit.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:55 pm

My mam works in an office and she's the health and safety officer (not cause she wants to but it pays more, lol), but everytime someone starts in the office she has to sit with him/her and make sure that the desk is health and safety fit. Basiclly meaning making sure the chair is able to go up and down depending ont he height of the person so they can see the monitor without a problem, that the person in question can reach the keyboard without stretching and that the glare on the monitor is not too bright amongst other things.........complete waste of time and my mam will agree with me, but at the end of the day she gets paid more for wasting her's, the employee's and the companys time so she's not going to disagree.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Yeh cant blame the employee, Money for old rope. I bet at times she feels really embarrassed on what she has to say. :lol: :lol:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Ben wrote:if he had a turbanon, he'd be granted access to the planes, cockpit and weapons :twisted:

What would someone with a Turban on want with the weapons?

How many Sikh terrorists do you know ?

What a pathetic statement.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Part of the H&S induction in the last company I worked for, included showing people the video footage of the Bradford fire, that was very grim.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:24 am

bluebirdbaz wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

3 years ago my men were being inducted at the john radcliffe hospital in oxford.
within the main contractors compound we all had to sit a further touch screen induction virtually the same as the citb one.
there were about 20 eastern european workers who could not speak a word of english between them so they had one of the main contractors supervisors walking around touching the appropriate answers on the screen.
i went into one and said these people were a danger to themselves and my men and should be not allowed onto site without being able to read basic signs like "danger live panel"etc.
i was basically told to mind my own business and stop rocking the boat.
health and safety is paramount at the start of the contract but quickly goes out the window if the main contractor is behind and needs to cut costs

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:41 am

welshie wrote:My mam works in an office and she's the health and safety officer (not cause she wants to but it pays more, lol), but everytime someone starts in the office she has to sit with him/her and make sure that the desk is health and safety fit. Basiclly meaning making sure the chair is able to go up and down depending ont he height of the person so they can see the monitor without a problem, that the person in question can reach the keyboard without stretching and that the glare on the monitor is not too bright amongst other things.........complete waste of time and my mam will agree with me, but at the end of the day she gets paid more for wasting her's, the employee's and the companys time so she's not going to disagree.

it may seem a waste of time but that is the law. An employee who is not given that induction and instruction may have a case in law if they suffer with ailments at a later stage and maybe able to sue the employer for negligence. As petty as it may seem there is very strong legislation in this area to with posture and proper equipment being an important requirement.

I accept nowhere near on the scale of building safety for example but blame Europe and America for making society a sueing culture where people would prefer to get rich by seeking damages from another party than work.

Employers have to be spot on with health and safety or risk claims from employees at some stage.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:22 am

Not Disputing what you say in any way.

I work at an Army Military Airfield (Home of the Apache helicpoter) and I have never heard such a load of shit in all my life. If I was at St Athan I would have held the carpenters at gunpoint to do the job as tradesmen are like rocking horse shit and their time is invalueable -regardless of eye tests.

Sounds to my like some f*cking jobs worth is involved. On an aside and if my memory serves me right I don't belive they fly anything out of St Athans anymore so would remove the need for any "eye examination" as they couldn' t hit anything.

The world has gone mad, but what has pissed me off is that the tradesman may have been fixing something of importance and the end user the soldier or airman is inconveienced because of this. Just what have we become!

Ceri

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:13 pm

my dad dont have a cscs card he did a 7 years apprenticeship to become a shipwright has worked as a carpenter for over 50 years, but cant get on a site :D

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm

worked on the carpark cardiff bay,had a pair of shorts on was told to get off site by site manager

one of our workers has been paid out a 4 figure sum for cutting his leg while wearing shorts in work it was a cut that you'd get as a kid no stitches 3inches long across the calf and shin . what do you think the company did next?

yep banned the wearing of shorts or skirts

simle measure to protect their insurance from going up. caused by some greed tw*t wanting a quick buck

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 pm

everytime someone starts in the office she has to sit with him/her and make sure that the desk is health and safety fit. Basiclly meaning making sure the chair is able to go up and down depending ont he height of the person so they can see the monitor without a problem

its called workstation risk assessment and vdu risk assessment.
it stops bad backs, eye strain and RSI's all of which are claimed against in abundance over the year

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:50 pm

if you cant see a bloody plane coming then you deserve to be ran over

the reason the sign/light system would have been introduced would have been because of either an accident or a near miss where someone did or nearlly did get hurt

again all to stop clims coming in and increasing the companys insurance premiums

because what most picks who claim for claims sake dont realise is everytime they get money the companies insurance premium go's up. sooner or later the company will not be able to afford an employee liability insurance and therfor would not be able to trade and go bust. in simple terms the employee claimed their way out of a job.

so its not bollox it makes complete sence
do away with the lard arse claimers out for a quick buck and go back to simple thinking

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:00 pm

Voice of reason and common sense from 'the premier 1', well played.

You'll be shouted down soon enough though!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:28 pm

When I worked at Wylfa power station on Anglesey I had to have a training course to operate....

A hydraulic hand pallet truck for pulling crates (the ones you pull around) :lol: :lol: :lol: Madness!