Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Am I a snob

Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 am

The council won`t let my youngest into the school of my choice as we don`t live in the catchment area,even though my other 3 are in that school.
After the summer hols I`m sending him to private instead,does this make me a snob? :(

Re: Am I a snob

Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:59 am

no far from it, better to be a snob than a fecking chav who hangs around the streets in and out of trouble and has nothing in life!! i know what id chose if i had the cash!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:15 am

abf9 wrote:The council won`t let my youngest into the school of my choice as we don`t live in the catchment area,even though my other 3 are in that school.
After the summer hols I`m sending him to private instead,does this make me a snob? :(

The problem the council have is every year they change the catchment areas (dues to factors within the community and housing being built everywhere possible) and so even if siblings attend the school - the rules are set.

Years ago it was the head's discretion - BUT due to this some families within cathcment were missing out over families out of catchment being given preference - so there is always someone not happy with placements.

Snob for private education - no - if you have the funding and your child is happy that is what counts!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:21 am

Jez wrote:
Snob for private education - no - if you have the funding and your child is happy that is what counts!

Fully agree! Wish I had the money to send mine, but I'm lucky I got them into a Welsh school and it's excellent! Because I was a f**k up in school I'm determined not to let them... Education is power! Hopefully I've given them a good base to push on and make something of themselves! As long as they're happy and healthy then I'm more than blessed!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:28 am

good, just wish all parents thought like this, then we wouldn't have the chav cunts who hang around our streets today

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:30 am

Tell them you will apeal the decision and see you in court they will soon back down just done it with my son :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am

Bigbluebird wrote:
Jez wrote:

Fully agree! Wish I had the money to send mine, but I'm lucky I got them into a Welsh school and it's excellent! Because I was a f**k up in school I'm determined not to let them... Education is power! Hopefully I've given them a good base to push on and make something of themselves! As long as they're happy and healthy then I'm more than blessed!

I did the same route of Welsh school BEST thing i ever done for them and their education!
I taught them the english side of reading (aged 3 n 4) BEST thing i have done as a mum (and yes against the advice of the teachers!)

My 7 yr old learns in Welsh, can read anything in English and is also doing French in school - not a bad education !!!
My 6 year old flies thru everything as he can read at an even higher level (especially the footie programmes!) :lol:

Reading is THE core of any learning - so whether your private education or state school reading with your children every night is what will give them the head start for their education.

enjoy :D

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 am

Jez wrote:
Bigbluebird wrote:
Jez wrote:

I did the same route of Welsh school BEST thing i ever done for them and their education!
I taught them the english side of reading (aged 3 n 4) BEST thing i have done as a mum (and yes against the advice of the teachers!)

My 7 yr old learns in Welsh, can read anything in English and is also doing French in school - not a bad education !!!
My 6 year old flies thru everything as he can read at an even higher level (especially the footie programmes!) :lol:

Reading is THE core of any learning - so whether your private education or state school reading with your children every night is what will give them the head start for their education.

enjoy :D

Fully agree! imagine if me and you had a kid Jez! they would be nuclear physicists!! ( I spelt that without Google checker!)

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:26 am

abf9 wrote:The council won`t let my youngest into the school of my choice as we don`t live in the catchment area,even though my other 3 are in that school.

People move house to ensure their children get into the right schools, they pay more for the houses, so indirectly it's like private education in a way.

I don't blame you at all, we all want the best for our children, good luck to him or her !!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:50 am

Nothing wrong with wanting and giving your children the best you can offer. :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:51 am

I got into a school because my brothers were there even though we had moved away from the catchment area. Saying that, I had lived in the catchment up until a couple of years before I went to the school.

It can't be easy for schools to decide who gets in. I got a fair bit of stick from living away though because people knew others who couldn't get their first children into the school despite being in the catchment area.

I don't blame you for sending your child to private school. You're not a snob for wanting the best for your child. My girlfriend and I have said we want our kids to go to a Welsh language school when they're younger because they'll expand their career options by being bilingual.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:55 am

[/quote]

Fully agree! imagine if me and you had a kid Jez! they would be nuclear physicists!! ( I spelt that without Google checker!)[/quote]

LMAO - I wont take that as an offer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: BUT good to imagine ;)

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:23 am

Jez wrote:
LMAO - I wont take that as an offer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: BUT good to imagine ;)

Shame... guess the world will have to wait for the next Einstein! pity!

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:37 pm

I had a right ding dong on the phone with the LEA today over this again,I`m f*cking fuming. :evil:

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:48 pm

No it does not, it means you want the best for your children and have tried your best and if you can afford it good on you.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

No it does not, it means you want the best for your children and have tried your best and if you can afford it good on you.

To be honest ,I`ve been in a stinking mood all evening over this.His teacher has given me the direct dial for the head of the LEA on the sly.
9 in the morning and he`s getting it.......Big Style.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm

abf9 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

To be honest ,I`ve been in a stinking mood all evening over this.His teacher has given me the direct dial for the head of the LEA on the sly.
9 in the morning and he`s getting it.......Big Style.

I cant believe they wont except your child, when your other 3 are in the school already, thats a disgrace, but be calm and win the argument GGOD LUCK :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Thats typical of the council - always manage to make life complicated.

Make an appeal, I'm sure you can, but make sure everything is formal with some kind of evidence of meetings, etc.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks for the thought,all. :ayatollah:

Sun May 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Problem solved,had a meet with one of the chaps from the LEA who said"I don`t want you raring up on me again,your child is going to the school of your choice".
Diplomacy,eh. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 30, 2010 7:51 pm

[quote="abf9"]The council won`t let my youngest into the school of my choice as we don`t live in the catchment area,even though my other 3 are in that school.

why not send him to fitzalan, then your eyes would open up to the real would of British education. DID I SAY BRITISH opps sorry must have the wrong school.

Sun May 30, 2010 7:53 pm

FblockFrank wrote:

why not send him to fitzalan, then your eyes would open up to the real would of British education. DID I SAY BRITISH opps sorry must have the wrong school.

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun May 30, 2010 8:12 pm

NOjust a stuck up git :lol:

Sun May 30, 2010 8:15 pm

earnieblue wrote:NOjust a stuck up git :lol:

Charming :lol: :lol: