Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

IF WE GET TO THE PROMISED LAND

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:30 pm

What Current players would you keep from Our Present Squad ?

I would keep Marshal,Burke, Mcphail. Whittingham.

Unsure off Matthews,Chops,J Both, Ledley,Mchaughton,Wilding,
I would def off load Gerrard,Hudson,Blake,McCormack,Feeney,Rae,Kennedy,Etuhu,Quin,Enckleman, Capaldi.

We would have to bring in about 10 Quality players in My OPINION unless we would be hammered every week.

Re: IF WE GET TO THE PROMISED LAND

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Annis (welcome back hope you had a good wedding and holiday) :ayatollah:

POSITIVITY - change the title to "WHEN" not "if" ;)

now i have to go read what you actually posted lmao

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:What Current players would you keep from Our Present Squad ?

I would def off load Gerrard,Hudson,Blake,McCormack,Feeney :D ,Rae,Kennedy,Etuhu,Quin,Enckleman, Capaldi.

We would have to bring in about 10 Quality players in My OPINION unless we would be hammered every week.

first team Marshal,Burke, Mcphail. Whittingham, jay, gypos
squad players ledley, matthews, mcnaughton,

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Forever Blue wrote:What Current players would you keep from Our Present Squad ?

I would def off load Gerrard,Hudson,Blake,McCormack,Feeney,Rae,Kennedy,Etuhu,Quin,Enckleman, Capaldi.

If we are promoted I can't really see City spending much £££ on new players as the priority would be using the prem' money to get back on a sound financial footing.

Therefore I'd keep pretty much everyone bar Rae, Feeney, Kennedy, Quinn, Capaldi and Enckleman.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:47 pm

I'd keep Marshall, McNaughton, Gerrard, Whitts and Burke. I think we'd need a completely new attack (but keep Chops for the time being).

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:54 pm

i would keep burke, marshall, gypes, gerrard, mcormack, chops,ledley, and put a cheeky bid in for ethuhu thinks he is starting to play good footy

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:54 pm

i would keep burke, bothroyd, chops ,whitts, mcphail, ledley, blake, mcnaughton and mathews
out would go rae, mccormack, kennedy, capaldi ,hudson, gerrard, feeney and definitely marshall we need a keeper who commands his area on corners and free kicks, he is dodgy as f*Ck ,shot stopping is the easy part of goalkeeping it's instincdive split second they don't have to think, the hard part is deciscion making when to come ,when to stay on your line ,positioning etc:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:59 pm

I think we would keep everyone who is contracted especially if we don't spend any money.

Being extremely stingey and trying to spend hardly anything I believe we could stick with Marshall and Enck with the hope he isn't needed. However hard we try not to spend the back line would need a revamp and is where I would spend any money we had. Gerrard and Gypes to stay as squad players, Id love to keep McNaughton but that's purely heart speaking.

With all of any cash spent at the back I think we would stay with most of the midfield and strike force which has been one of the best in the Championship. Rae and Blake would be gone though as will Magennis and Feeney. All others to stay with a little bit of freshening if possible. One central midfielder and a striker.

If there was cash to spend or we didn't want to be slaughtered week in week out I would only keep Marshall, McPhail, Burke, Ledley and Bothroyd. Matthews if he continues to grow as a player.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Jez wrote:Annis (welcome back hope you had a good wedding and holiday) :ayatollah:

POSITIVITY - change the title to "WHEN" not "if" ;)

now i have to go read what you actually posted lmao

:lol:

Claire,I Did thanks very much and rushed from the Airport to make Citys game yesterday then nearly fell asleep.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:07 pm

How about cheeky bids for Dorus de Vries, Angel Rangel and Darren Prattley? All back-up of course :D

Keep:

Chopra
Bothroyd
Marshall
Mcnaughton
Hudson
Gerrard
Matthews
Ledley
Whittingham
Burke
McPhail

we would need a squad of about 30 players and can't go and buy 20+ players.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:15 pm

Marshall

McNaughton Gyepes new player new player

Burke new player McPhail new player

Chopra Bothroyd

With players like Ledley, Whittingham, Gerrard, Hudson, Quinn, Rae, Capaldi, Kennedy, Enckelman, Matthews and Blake on the bench.

:ayatollah:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Surely every team that is promoted in there first year you need to compete with the teams around the foot of the table. The likes of your burnleys,hulls,wigans,fulham,to name a few.so out if our current squad how many of our players can compete with these teams...to dismiss over half of our team is a little harsh in my opinion

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Koumas is available on a free....... :old:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Marshall, mcnaughton, witts, mcphail, Burke, jay, chops

Matthews, ledley maybe

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:50 pm

annis we were talking about this earlier,,,,,,, i would take, burke, ledley?, mcormach, chopra,hopefully as squad players, disagree with marshall, BUT do u think the club will take the money and play this team in the prem? or, the malaysians will invest heavely to stay in the prem :?:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:52 pm

ninianblue wrote:annis we were talking about this earlier,,,,,,, i would take, burke, ledley?, mcormach, chopra,hopefully as squad players, disagree with marshall, BUT do u think the club will take the money and play this team in the prem? or, the malaysians will invest heavely to stay in the prem :?:

Paul, I said I would put it up on here as it was a good discussion with you :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:54 pm

annis, it was a good conversation, then you went and spoilt it by saying you would take marshall :D :D

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:56 pm

ninianblue wrote:annis, it was a good conversation, then you went and spoilt it by saying you would take marshall :D :D

:lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
I still stand by it.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Marshall ( Top Keeper), McNaughton ( Mr Consistency), Matthews (class act)and Capaldi (needs a run in the side) - both worth keping their delivery from the touchline is worth having in our armoury as Stoke have proved this season. Gyepes (Luv him no nonsense defender), Gerrard (coming along nicely will develop into a real good defender in my view). Blake (lots wont agree with this but he is a god utility man to have in the squad, he's still young and will improve - can't fault him of late though). Burke (must keep him he would terrorise defenders in any league) Whittingham (has developed into a quality player this year and puts in a shift more often nowadays and where else would we get another midfielder who scores so many goals?) McPhail (will get more time on the ball in the Premeir League to do his stuff). McCormack (like me needs to lose weight but talented player) Chopra (has a point to prove in the Premier League is a top finisher when his mind is in the right place a visit to Gamblers Anonymous might sort him out). Bothroyd (well on his way to matching Drogba in the diving stakes :lol: so should feel at home in the Premier League - seriously though he is good enough to play at the top in my view). To give us a good chance of competing well at the higher level, in my view we should offload all the other players in the squad apart from the youngsters and bring in 10 to 12 new faces. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: but lets get up there first :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:09 pm

we have had who we would keep and tell to f**k off, now who would we bring in? :?:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:22 pm

I nearly fell of my chair Annis when you said you'd let Feeney go :lol: :lol: But seriously Gerrard could be a new Johnson :shock: Blake has done enough and shown good talent and is so versatile so keep him. Bothroyd if we could find a pair of stabilizers then i would keep him to. MCormack and Chopra would have to sort out there problems with drink and gambling because we cant keep paying them the massive wages they are on when all one wants to do is fly up to Toon after every game to self destruct. And in my opinion Mccormack is no where near as fast as he was last season, to much weight. :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:01 pm

I find it highly unlikely we'll sign any more than six players of PL standard if we go up, from the current squad I would expect to see everyone kept on with exception of the following;

Kennedy, Capaldi, Taiwo, Comminges, Feeney.

Wildig, Magennis and Morris will not feature as much as they have.

I would imagine that one of the signings would be a goalkeeper. If anyone is sold then I hope it would be reinvested in a suitable replacement.

I would like to think that the aim would be to consolidate but in financial terms it's probably better to come straight back down with a view to going straight back up again with the parachute payments etc being the funding. Don't agree with that but it's a possibilty.

A lot will become clearer when TG and co are in control and able to speak out. Birmingham City have to be a benchmark for any aspiring club.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:25 pm

keep
burke whitts mccormack mcnaughton
out mcfail kennedy hudson feeney marshal chopra

Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:32 pm

You're mad if you think Marshall should be rid of, he's practically kept is in the last 7 odd games just as much as the boys up front. I can't see many players going other than the ones out of contract.

Can't see many players being signed either, as much as I would want us to stay up you can take away the opportunity from the squad this season that have worked so hard of at least TRYING to prove themselves.

If we could sign one of Brian Stock/Koumas (yes I said it) I'd be delighted. For some weird reason Bellamys interview in the NOTW today strangely inspired me that maybe he could wind up here. Can take the boy out of Cardiff but not the Cardiff out the boy, as such.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 am

I'd keep Marshall, Matthews, Hudson, Gerrard, Blake, Ledley, McPhail, Whittingham, Burke, Bothroyd, Chopra, McCormack, McNaughton and Magennis.

Everyone else could go. I think Marshall, Matthews, McNaughton, Gerrard, Ledley, McPhail, Whittingham, Burke, Bothroyd and Chopra are good enough to be given the chance to strut their stuff. I'm not saying they'd be good enough but they deserve the opportunity.

We'd need to bring in at least 6-7 players who can compete or replace half of those names though, at least. It will be extremely tough with the financial constraints though but if anyone can find a bargain player who can make it in the Premiership then it's Jonesy!

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 am

keep

marshall
mcnaughton
gerrard
blake
matthews
burke
ledley
wildig
whittingham
chopra
bothroyd

sell

enkleman
capaldi
kennedy
hudson
gyepes
commingues
quinn
rae
mcphail
taiwo
mccormack
maggines
feeney

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 am

We basically only have Marshall and Burke who could really cut it in the premiership, and
Marshall has got some hard work ahead of him...Bothroyd, Chopra, Whittingham, McCormack,
Ledley... these lads are the best of the rest But would be hit and miss, though I think Darcy is
progressing nicely, if Jones manages to try him in his right position, which once again, we
can all see is as a holding midfielder.

Sadly, we do not have one defender who could cut it in the premiership, though Adam Matthews
could have a bright future

If we do go up, we will need to spend 20m on players or we will do a Derby and get thrashed
mercilessly once teams suss us out.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:57 am

Keep Marshall mathews Mcnaughton Gerrard Mcphail Burke whitts Jay and Chops poss ledley, blake and wildig

we definately need a left back nicky shorey? or Bernard mendy centre half Wes morgan forest Marc wilson from portsmouth centre midfield and or hayden Mullins theres a few which I think we could afford who have some experience

Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:11 pm

taffyapple wrote:We basically only have Marshall and Burke who could really cut it in the premiership, and
Marshall has got some hard work ahead of him...Bothroyd, Chopra, Whittingham, McCormack,
Ledley... these lads are the best of the rest But would be hit and miss, though I think Darcy is
progressing nicely, if Jones manages to try him in his right position, which once again, we
can all see is as a holding midfielder.

Sadly, we do not have one defender who could cut it in the premiership, though Adam Matthews
could have a bright future

If we do go up, we will need to spend 20m on players or we will do a Derby and get thrashed
mercilessly once teams suss us out.

Kevin McNaughton could definitely make it in the Premiership. He's been hit and miss recently because of his match fitness but when fully fit, he's the best full back outside of the Premiership, without doubt.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:51 pm

I would keep Marshal,Burke, Mcphail. Whittingham,bothroyd,chops,McNaughton, mathews,ledley,blake.
We need to keep the basis of a decent side and add quality players to that.

loan out...Wilding,Gerrard,quinn,magennis
Im sure gerrard and wildig can make it and quinn has got an extension...mageniss need to play a full season and then we can have another look at him.
I would def off load Hudson,McCormack,Feeney,Rae,Kennedy,Etuhu,Enckleman, Capaldi,comminges.