Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are We A Lucky Side ?

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:57 pm

I get the feeling this year that we have become a lucky side :!:

I am not saying we dont deserve to be where we are because we evidently do and yes I believe you make your own luck but there have been things happen this year that make me feel we have been luckier than usual.

hope it continues too :D

Re: Are We A Lucky Side ?

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Definatly not. It shows how well the team work together even with the subs/reserves that we've had to play.

If anything we've been an unlucky side in terms of injuries. Even now at this crucial time of the year we've still got players injured that are only just coming back.

:ayatollah:

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:58 pm

id settle for being the jammiest bastards ever to get to the prem :D :D

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:02 pm

We have had some big slices of luck this year but then other times we have been massively unlucky with some of the decisions,injuries. I just hope out current bit of luck carries on tho :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:04 pm

We're a team who couldn't strengthen in terms of numbers, and have been hit by injuries hard this year, much worse than last year.

Everything balances out as far as i'm concerned :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Injuries happen to every team but it is situations like Whitts shooting against Scunthorpe first league game hits Chopra's heel and loops over the keeper.

Then Blackpool away something similar except the shot hits the defender and goes in.

Plymouth away Chops shoots with his right the ball hits is left leg and changes direction and goes in :lol:

Coventry away penalty last minute.

there are others too. :ayatollah:

Even when we go through a bad spell not enough took advantage, I feel this could be the year :D :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:09 pm

carlccfc wrote:Injuries happen to every team but it is situations like Whitts shooting against Scunthorpe first league game hits Chopra's heel and loops over the keeper.

Then Blackpool away something similar except the shot hits the defender and goes in.

Plymouth away Chops shoots with his right the ball hits is left leg and changes direction and goes in :lol:

Even when we go through a bad spell not enough took advantage, I feel this could be the year :D :ayatollah:

Yup.
But then again, being 4-0 up vs Peterborough and drawing.
Nottingham Forest's last minute goal in November.
I'm sure there are many more :ayatollah:

It evens itself out over the course of a season :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Ross Young wrote:
carlccfc wrote:Injuries happen to every team but it is situations like Whitts shooting against Scunthorpe first league game hits Chopra's heel and loops over the keeper.

Yup.
But then again, being 4-0 up vs Peterborough and drawing.
Nottingham Forest's last minute goal in November.
I'm sure there are many more :ayatollah:

It evens itself out over the course of a season :ayatollah:

Ross I thought of those 2 myself and both were because our coaching staff were tactically inept.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:26 pm

The more we practice the luckier we get.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:52 pm

I wouldn't say losing hudson, ledley and mcphail for long periods is lucky especially why under a transfer embargo. And to that a million other injuries. Every team has injury but not many spend most the season Under a transfer embargo unable to replace them and still manage to get stronger and be in a position like us. Not to mention all the other disruption.

One word I would not use I lucky personally.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:55 pm

we seem to have more luck than last year..

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:23 am

I got drenched, even though I was undercover, watching Barnsley get a last minute winner against us from a deflection.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:42 am

I understand where you going Carl,

in the past things that have happened to us, ref decisions, linesman's decisions, deflections own goals. this year seem to have either gone with us or have not happened, yes we can still shout about some decisions that have gone against us but on the whole a much better year.
lets hope there is more to come :D :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:44 am

good post prem, this season we have had that little more luck and it has helped :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:45 am

yes yes yes :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:25 am

So lucky our club has no money, is under embargo, has a winding up order and a looming tax bill to be paid by the 5th May, Hudson, Ledley & McPhail big injuries and illnesses (including the latters cancer scare), all the shit with Chopra and the rumours unselttling our striker and putting him on a bad run, our chairman raping our club, the lack of trust and the lies from the board, no new players, golden season tickets, etc etc - you could go on and on i suppose.

I just think the squad has bonded and come together, overcome their problems, dug in deep and played as a TEAM and worked hard for each other, you could say there was some luck during games with decisions - but that doesn't make us a lucky team. The unity is obvious for all to see that this season has brought massive improvements on the field, we have the TWO HIGHEST scorers in the championship - where other teams only manage to get one of their players in the top 15 -> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm - we've taken 16 pts from the last 18 and a win today will surely guarantee a play off place! (maybe depending on other results of course!) but i have a feeling that this year is our year!

Are we a lucky side? NO

Are we a better footballing side because of previous seasons? YES

the bluebirds are going up! :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:27 am

you make your own luck as far as im concerned.
we have the two top goal scorers in the championship would you call that luck.
we have jay, chops. burke, whitts and mcCormack all who carry goal threats and can produce individual bits of magic to win games.
despite winning against the jacks the goal we conceded was down to bad luck going against us it was never a corner and 99 times out of a hundred there would have been a free kick given to the keeper.
what we have is a small squad full of quality and spirit who are able to put setbacks behind them and recover to get something out of games.
just sit back and enjoy it while we can

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:28 am

I am on about luck on the pitch alone.

The Transfer embargo is mismanagement on the club's part neither lucky or unlucky just a simple old fact.

Players getting injuries happen at every club every year.

But I do get the feeling that things tend to go our way more this season than previously :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:31 am

steve davies wrote:you make your own luck as far as im concerned.
we have jay, chops. burke, whitts and mcCormack all who carry goal threats and can produce individual bits of magic to win games.
despite winning against the jacks the goal we conceded was down to bad luck going against us it was never a corner and 99 times out of a hundred there would have been a free kick given to the keeper.
what we have is a small squad full of quality and spirit who are able to put setbacks behind them and recover to get something out of games.

Steve I agree with what you say I am not questioning ablilty of the squad because I have said this season that I feel we have the best possible 1 to 11 in the division. I feel we have had slices of luck this year that normally I feel would go against us.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:32 am

The Premier 1 wrote:I understand where you going Carl,

in the past things that have happened to us, ref decisions, linesman's decisions, deflections own goals. this year seem to have either gone with us or have not happened, yes we can still shout about some decisions that have gone against us but on the whole a much better year.
lets hope there is more to come :D :ayatollah:

Yes Nip I am glad it's not just me, it must be a family stand thing :lol:

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:11 am

carlccfc wrote:I get the feeling this year that we have become a lucky side :!:

I am not saying we dont deserve to be where we are because we evidently do and yes I believe you make your own luck but there have been things happen this year that make me feel we have been luckier than usual.

The harder they practice and more the work the luckier they become :P

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:26 am

Taking into account the chaos behind the scenes due to the financial mismanagement of the club and being under a transfer emabargo, I would say we deserve a bit of luck.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:28 am

the amount of shots and chances we create we deserve our luck

not a coincedence that swansea dont score many 'lucky' goals because they never take a chance

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:33 am

carlccfc wrote:
steve davies wrote:you make your own luck as far as im concerned.

Steve I agree with what you say I am not questioning ablilty of the squad because I have said this season that I feel we have the best possible 1 to 11 in the division. I feel we have had slices of luck this year that normally I feel would go against us.

I am not so sure last season we had a million penalties including quite a few dubious ones that proved key in games. This season I think we have had more genuine appeals turned down. I think one of our biggest bits of luck that has helped us this season was the signing of Marshall. Not sure how many points he has actually saved us but I would say in double figures. he has enabled us to stay in games that previously we may have not, and that save on Saturday is the biggest case in point.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:23 am

carlccfc wrote:I get the feeling this year that we have become a lucky side :!:

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 am

it's a poor division
that's why a side that struggles to scrore goals is in the top six (at the moment)

sides like derby, ipswich, sheff utd etc have not lived up to pre-season expectations
not cardiff's problem, you beat what's in front of you, but this is why we're in the top 6

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 am

Over the season it evens out IMHO.

We've had some good, we've had some bad.

Things like the Plymouth home game. We BATTERRED them, then lost to the one chance they had. Barnsley similar, only they put away the only TWO chances they had. Barnsley away, unlucky free kick which then got deflected in last minute. I bet in 90% of our draws and defeats we could point to an incident which could have cost us points.

Blackpool away, late goal to draw.

Even Swansea away at 2-2 and in with a chance we hit the bar.

Maybe our GOOD luck has come at key times. The penalty at Coventry almost certainly saved our season. The miss by Church, the miss by earnie etc.. have all coem at very useful times for us.

Things go for and against over a season, but when you are looking at 46 games then its nearly always the best teams who end up on top.