Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Warren Feeney

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:39 am

What does eveyone think of his performance last night? Personaly I was suprised he came on ahead of Chopra, which also i thought was a mistake using up our last sub with so much time left :roll: But what disapointed me was that Feeney didn't do enough closing down when they had possession, we were effectedly playing with 9 men because Burkey was injured and he should have done more being the 'fresh legs'. I thought McCormack did much more for the team, dispelling claims that he is not fit and doesn't care, he also was the one that stood out to me at the end coming over to the Ninian stand, he was really pumped up, well done Ross :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4gyu-KKmUY

Re: Warren Feeney

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:42 am

the closing down aspect i think is match fitness, if he had lots of games behind him then im sure he would, dont want to burn yourself out and then become usless or subbed

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:56 am

i think feeney done ok lastnight a lot better than etuhu,and im not one of the feeney gang on here,im honest with my views,he won a few headers,held the ball up,and worked hard,we must remember that match fitness is totally different to being fit in the gym.so all in all he done well.as i said i do not buy in to the feeney is quality,he is a squad player at best,but credit where due lads.As for etuhu i said to a friend he should not of played,as he has been out a longtime and 2games in a few days is to much for a player with that little gametime,hence the reason his touch,leap,energy and quality lacked,for me he looks akward with his touch etc,not nice to the eye like a mcphail who has great ability on the ball

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:58 am

what does feeeeney gice us no pace no height what is is level poor poor signing from day one

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:03 am

He was obviously given orders to close down in our half. There is no point in chasing stuff in their half they will just pass around you.

He did more than enough defensively.

Why look for negatives after a brilliant rear guard - we are withing touching distance again lets hope we get another few wins.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:05 am

At the end of the day lads, Feeney came on and did his job. Simple as. As for closing down, he's played maybe 90 minutes all season. Trust me, I can run on a treadmill in a gym for an hour, but after 10 minutes of football, I'm fucked. Plus, he was playing as a lone target man, which a) isn't ideal for someone of 5'7, 5'8 and b) a target man is there for a reason, to be a target. Whats the point of having a traget man if he's back in defence closing down??

I can't believe on what was a fantastic win, people want to slag off the players who fought tooth and nail to grab three points when after Gyepes got sent off it looked likely we'd fold.

Personally, I can't think of why Feeney isn't played ahead of Etuhu who, by the looks of things, hasn't got a first touch, can't run with the ball, can't jump or win a header and doesn't make well timed runs.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:11 am

squashed grapes wrote:He was obviously given orders to close down in our half. There is no point in chasing stuff in their half they will just pass around you.

Why look for negatives after a brilliant rear guard - we are withing touching distance again lets hope we get another few wins.

It was the closing down in our half i was concerned about, didn't do enough for me defensively, normaly when he comes on thats his best attribute so was bit suprised by lack of it last night. Saying that it was a fantastic rear guard by the whole team and the supporters last night.. Fortress CCS at last :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:14 am

The Blue 'Knows' wrote:
squashed grapes wrote:He was obviously given orders to close down in our half. There is no point in chasing stuff in their half they will just pass around you.

It was the closing down in our half i was concerned about, didn't do enough for me defensively, normaly when he comes on thats his best attribute so was bit suprised by lack of it last night. Saying that it was a fantastic rear guard by the whole team and the supporters last night.. Fortress CCS at last :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

As the lone man up front, he is the target man. It would be remiss of him to be chasing the ball in his own half when he's supposed to get on the end of the ball in the opposition half.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:23 am

[As the lone man up front, he is the target man. It would be remiss of him to be chasing the ball in his own half when he's supposed to get on the end of the ball in the opposition half.[/quote]

I take your point, but last night wasn't a normal situation we only had 9 players and were against the 'Alamo'I felt him being the target man and not chasing everywhere on the pitch should have been abandoned, f**k me someone like Rooney defends all over the pitch

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:30 am

The Blue 'Knows' wrote:What does eveyone think of his performance last night? Personaly I was suprised he came on ahead of Chopra, which also i thought was a mistake using up our last sub with so much time left :roll: But what disapointed me was that Feeney didn't do enough closing down when they had possession, we were effectedly playing with 9 men because Burkey was injured and he should have done more being the 'fresh legs'. I thought McCormack did much more for the team, dispelling claims that he is not fit and doesn't care, he also was the one that stood out to me at the end coming over to the Ninian stand, he was really pumped up, well done Ross :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I 100% agree with you mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:31 am

The Blue 'Knows' wrote:[As the lone man up front, he is the target man. It would be remiss of him to be chasing the ball in his own half when he's supposed to get on the end of the ball in the opposition half.

I take your point, but last night wasn't a normal situation we only had 9 players and were against the 'Alamo'I felt him being the target man and not chasing everywhere on the pitch should have been abandoned, f**k me someone like Rooney defends all over the pitch[/quote]

I understand what you're saying but when Gyepes went off, Feeney was called over to the bench and was given instructions at length by Terry Burton. He can only do what he is told to do, and I thought he did fantastically well. He won more in the air in 20-odd minutes than Etuhu won all game. And the thing is, getting that game time means so much to someone like Chopra, and because it does, and he shows passion to play, maybe thats why he got the nod ahead of Chopra!!

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:32 am

Ben wrote:the closing down aspect i think is match fitness, if he had lots of games behind him then im sure he would, dont want to burn yourself out and then become usless or subbed

Well said Ben your best post yet.

By the way Chops has got probs again thats why Feeney was brought on ahead of him.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:33 am

The Blue 'Knows' wrote:What does eveyone think of his performance last night? Personaly I was suprised he came on ahead of Chopra, which also i thought was a mistake using up our last sub with so much time left :roll: But what disapointed me was that Feeney didn't do enough closing down when they had possession, we were effectedly playing with 9 men because Burkey was injured and he should have done more being the 'fresh legs'. I thought McCormack did much more for the team, dispelling claims that he is not fit and doesn't care, he also was the one that stood out to me at the end coming over to the Ninian stand, he was really pumped up, well done Ross :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Feeney was on his own up front, worked hard and was last to leave the field, claps every side of the ground, every time.

Chops has probs again.
Give him a run of games then judge him. If he is no good then, I will be the first to admit.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:38 am

What problems has Chops got then? I was really suprised he started at Palace especialy with Ross starting to play well and he being a confidence player.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:53 am

The Blue 'Knows' wrote:What problems has Chops got then? I was really suprised he started at Palace especialy with Ross starting to play well and he being a confidence player.

I believe missing Newcastle/drink and gambling are still his prob and it changes week by week,regarding Chops I feel for DJ on this as he is our prize asset when fully focused and fit, but he always hast to many personal probs.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4gyu-KKmUY

Warren Feeney - Ulsters Number 10!!

Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 am

Greg a longer Version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJe09eCqOUc&NR=1 :ayatollah:

Fair play he said last nights atmosphere in our stadium was electric and he appreciates how much the fans get behind the team :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:08 am

I understand what you're saying but when Gyepes went off, Feeney was called over to the bench and was given instructions at length by Terry Burton. He can only do what he is told to do, and I thought he did fantastically well. He won more in the air in 20-odd minutes than Etuhu won all game. And the thing is, getting that game time means so much to someone like Chopra, and because it does, and he shows passion to play, maybe thats why he got the nod ahead of Chopra!![/quote]

I thought it was Leo playing up front last night not Etuhu :lol: :lol: He is obviously not a striker reckon he was shutting his eyes when he was heading the ball :lol: But he did win the flick on for Whitts goal and piece of majic by Gavin Rae with the assist!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 am

I've come to learn over the years that if a manager makes a strange decision e.g. brings on one player instead of another, it is usually with good reason that us fans are not aware of. As has been mentioned, Chopra seemingly has problems again so Feeney was brought on. Let's face it, Jones has shown that he'll only bring Feeney on when it's absolutely necessary.

Initially I thought Feeney coming on would be good. Show some fight and spirit as the lone striker, I hoped his fresh legs would see him running around tirelessly for the 20-25 minutes he was on but in the end it looked like either he was instructed to let the opposition come at us or he just didn't seem to have the energy.

It's hard to criticise an individual of a team who were playing one man down with 2-3 players immobile but I would have felt better if he had closed down more balls and put more pressure on their keeper when it went back because Weale is a clown.

As I mentioned earlier though, I don't know if his lack of chasing down was through a lack of effort or if Jones instructed him not to. Whatever it was, we won 2-1! If this is what Feeney's roles are limited to though it would be better for us and him if he was allowed to move and a youth player was given the chance up front.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:23 am

Everyone is slating Etuhu's performance but you have to remember he's a winger, not a target man.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:25 am

j3nko wrote:Everyone is slating Etuhu's performance but you have to remember he's a winger, not a target man.

I agree another player played out of position and he really does look out of position.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 am

I thought Etuhu did well. He's been out for 3-4 months so we have to remember that. He's battled well and ignited a lot of plays last night.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 am

Forever Blue wrote:
j3nko wrote:Everyone is slating Etuhu's performance but you have to remember he's a winger, not a target man.

I agree another player played out of position and he really does look out of position.

Dont knock it its worked lately with Darcy going into defence and last night with Quinn going into the middle of defence, they both could have found their best positions? But cant see etuhu making it as a target man :lol:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 am

Zabier wrote:I thought Etuhu did well. He's been out for 3-4 months so we have to remember that. He's battled well and ignited a lot of plays last night.

Think he does show potential but as a wide player, we may have to find out quickly if Burkey is out :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:37 am

I reckon Burkey will be fine. If it was something serious they would have taken him off rather than risk him. It's good to know Etuhu is there to be called upon if needs be though.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:47 am

Thats what people dont realise. I was glad when he got substituted because he is onto a hiding to nothing playing as a target man. Its obvious he cannot jump and that became clear when the crowd cheered after he won a header. The fact he was not challenged and the ball went out for a leicester goal kick was immaterial. 8-) If he had seen the game out I do believe the crowd would have turned against him big time which would have not done his confidence any good.

Its clear to me Warrens talent is hounding the defence down. If it was 11 against 11 when he came on then I reckon we would have seen that alot more. He played up front alone against 3 guys who played quite well at passing the ball across the width of the field. Even the road runner would have struggled to hound that down.

The fact that Leicester had to employ 3 guys at the back although they were playing against 10 men that credit should be given to Warren.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 am

I'm honestly not sure if he's even a winger. I know he's had a long spell on the sidelines but he looked really uncomfortable with the ball, his first touch for a target man or winger is abysmal. Both Burkey, Whitts and Ross have brilliant ball control but Etuhu lacks the quality. I can't believe that DJ would chose him ahead of others out of position. Not that it matters going forward as it's 6 points in the bag and Jay is back for the Gypo's.

Also, for those saying Darcy is playing out of position, Brian Flynn played Darcy at Centre Back for the U-21's and he shone for them, particularly keeping Agbonlahor quiet over two legs vs England.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:52 am

he was sent on for one reason - to chase down and close down as much as possibe. but whenever we won the ball back it was smashed aimlessly upfield (understandably) whether you fully fit or played made 2 starts in 3 years, there is so much you can do.

he was part of 10 players and 20,000 fans who gave there all for cardiff city for the last 25mins, i for one was proud of everyones efforts!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:02 am

I didn't really read a lot of the posts in this thread, so apologies if someone has mentioned it but..

I wonder if Jones instructed him to stay high up? I, like many around me and I'm sure everyone in the stadium, was getting annoyed that Feeney was staying high up and not busting a gutt to close down their players. But I was wondering, could it be a masterclass tactical decision by Jones? Okay, perhaps not masterclass but still.

Through Feeney staying high up, Leicester automatically kept two players back. Obviously they were totally unaware of Feeney's inability to even control a ball. If Feeney had dropped back, then Leicester would have pushed another man up, and only kept one man back.

So well done Dave Jones, and Warren Feeney I suppose!! :lol:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:04 am

Cymro wrote:I didn't really read a lot of the posts in this thread, so apologies if someone has mentioned it but..

I wonder if Jones instructed him to stay high up? I, like many around me and I'm sure everyone in the stadium, was getting annoyed that Feeney was staying high up and not busting a gutt to close down their players. But I was wondering, could it be a masterclass tactical decision by Jones? Okay, perhaps not masterclass but still.

Through Feeney staying high up, Leicester automatically kept two players back. Obviously they were totally unaware of Feeney's inability to even control a ball. If Feeney had dropped back, then Leicester would have pushed another man up, and only kept one man back.

So well done Dave Jones, and Warren Feeney I suppose!! :lol:

????