Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Our defending on corners

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Is it me or when playing football the first things you're taught is to get goal side of your man, and if there's a man on the keeper get between him and the keeper. It's basic.

I noticed Leicester's goal tonight came from Matthews (I think) not being goal side, and no one in between Marshall and their man. Marshall couldn't get to the ball, and therefore they scored. I'm pretty sure Palace's goal on Saturday came from something similar.

Sort it out lads.

Re: Our defending on corners

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 pm

Do you think Bothroyd makes a difference? I have to be honest, I usually spend corners watching the 'keeper and the shit they have to put up with! Will having him back on Saturday improve our defending of corners/set pieces?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:24 am

Cymro wrote:Is it me or when playing football the first things you're taught is to get goal side of your man, and if there's a man on the keeper get between him and the keeper. It's basic.

I noticed Leicester's goal tonight came from Matthews (I think) not being goal side, and no one in between Marshall and their man. Marshall couldn't get to the ball, and therefore they scored. I'm pretty sure Palace's goal on Saturday came from something similar.

Sort it out lads.

Your correct thats exactly what happened against palace for their goal and for the palace dissalowed goal as well. Apart from that was a magnificent performance from the lads :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 am

ihatealiens wrote:
Cymro wrote:Is it me or when playing football the first things you're taught is to get goal side of your man, and if there's a man on the keeper get between him and the keeper. It's basic.

Sort it out lads.

Your correct thats exactly what happened against palace for their goal and for the palace dissalowed goal as well. Apart from that was a magnificent performance from the lads :ayatollah:

Yeah no doubt it was a great performace from the lads, but that was the one negative I saw. We've got to make sure we mark their players so that Marshall can get through the pack towards the ball. :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:02 am

Of course the argument against marking the player standing on the keeper is that it is another body for the keeper to get through to attack the ball.

It's certainly an issue but I'm not sure there is an easy answer. Perhaps marshall should just tell the defenders to stand on the 6 yard box and allow him to attack the ball, it will also give the ref a clearer view of any blocking/pushing :?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:22 am

At a set piece especially you can't allow an opposing player to stand right in front of our goalkeeper blocking his path to the ball, it's asking for trouble. Cymro is spot on in what he is saying and I suspect Dave Jones will have the videos out this morning highlighting these mistakes to our defenders, well I bloody hope he is. If he isnt Jonesys PA!!, I know your reading this. Tell him I said sort his defence out at the set piece :lol: Palace scored a goal and had one dissallowed due to this error from our defenders. We did not learn from it last night but Leicester obviously had videos of our Palace game or sharp eyed scouts at the Palace game because their goal came from exactly the same scenario last night. We must learn from these errors. If we can cut out the goals from the set piece it is quite hard for teams to break us down in normal play, if we are focussed as was proved last night.