Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why did they choose us?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Why do YOU think the Malaysians chose us, out of all the teams they could have gone for?

Was it because we were the club most fitted to their plans? If so how?

I believe they chose us as we are a club always going forward. Another reason is, they clearly has the whole 'changing to red' thing in their minds since the start, and maybe felt they could impose it upon us as a club to accept it as they (possibly) almost felt they would have a hold over us as they knew if they walked away, we'd be goners. Tan and co probably felt they could incorporate the red dragon in with us easier than they could with any other side because of Wales obviously.

I am not happy with the changes obviously, and I sincerely hope none of you are. BUT if it weren't for Mr. Tan and TG we'd have been up shit creek. I will never thank them for the changes they have made to our club Cardiff City F.C. but then, I will not knock them and call them any name under the sun as if not for them, would we be able to chant "we're Cardiff City, we're top of the league"? I highly doubt it. Well atleast not in this division anyway.

You are my Cardiff, my only Cardiff. :ayatollah: :malky:

Re: Why did they choose us?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:28 pm

We gave TG's son a trial when he wrote to lots of English league teams.

It's funny how such a little thing led to this.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 pm

very good question, maybe it could be something to do with us being a Capital City knowing the encatchment area for support. With very passionate fans (which almost went against them prior to the start of the season). But for one I am very glad they decided we were the chosen ones!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 pm

VT saw the potential fanbase, infrastructure and lack of debt that isn't his or he feels he cannot haggle down.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 pm

We were in such bad shape they knew they could come in and make whatever changes they wanted and nobody would be able to do anything about it because we would be doomed without their money.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Wayne S wrote:We gave TG's son a trial when he wrote to lots of English league teams.

It's funny how such a little thing led to this.

Correct :D :D

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:46 pm

I think the F A cup final may have played a part?

Would certainly have raised our profile in Far East, Championship side breaking the mould in front of huge audience!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:47 pm

Valley Lad wrote:I think the F A cup final may have played a part?

Would certainly have raised our profile in Far East, Championship side breaking the mould in front of huge audience!

Yes, that certainly could have been a factor.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:48 pm

It does make you wonder why not just buy a team who play in red.

I have nothing to back this up but I dont think they planned investing big money initially. I think TG got involved then he convinced VT to help save the club with a few million so he did. I dont think they realised the extent of the debt and losses per month.

I think the red idea came in later when VT got hands and in his opinion changing to red is part of a vision or plan to make us a top club.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:51 pm

2blue2handle wrote:It does make you wonder why not just buy a team who play in red.

I have nothing to back this up but I dont think they planned investing big money initially. I think TG got involved then he convinced VT to help save the club with a few million so he did. I dont think they realised the extent of the debt and losses per month.

I think the red idea came in later when VT got hands and in his opinion changing to red is part of a vision or plan to make us a top club.

Very little would surprise me. But that is a valid point, and could be what actually happened.

As Valley Lad said, maybe a few of our Wembley visits played a part in attracting them.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:53 pm

BlueSince82 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:It does make you wonder why not just buy a team who play in red.

Very little would surprise me. But that is a valid point, and could be what actually happened.

As Valley Lad said, maybe a few of our Wembley visits played a part in attracting them.

They were here for the Blackpool playoff mind :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm

BlueSince82 wrote:

I could be way off :lol: just my gut feeling.

VT doesnt get much wrong business wise it would seem.

I assume this is all for some big sponsorship deal but again no idea.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Valley Lad wrote:
BlueSince82 wrote:

Yes, they made their move for us around 3/4 of the way through the 09/10 season. :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
BlueSince82 wrote:

I could be way off :lol: just my gut feeling.

VT doesnt get much wrong business wise it would seem.

I assume this is all for some big sponsorship deal but again no idea.

I think I saw somewhere on here that they were going to change the colour of all planes in a Malaysian airport to red as part of a deal with VT, TG and us, not too sure about that one but you never know.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:02 pm

BlueSince82 wrote:
Valley Lad wrote:
BlueSince82 wrote:

Yes, they made their move for us around 3/4 of the way through the 09/10 season. :ayatollah:

I do often wonder if we had gone up that day would we still be in blue?
I think we would

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Population as a country on its own more or less i think the main reason was and whatever they can make us worth in time :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Good question ... I'm going to say the same as what Sam H. saw in us .

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:06 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
BlueSince82 wrote:
Valley Lad wrote:
BlueSince82 wrote:

I do often wonder if we had gone up that day would we still be in blue?
I think we would

I agree.

I'm pretty sure we'd still be in blue if we had gone up then.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm

It started with us giving TG son a trial(as stated prior).And as TG worked for VT,he asked him if he would like to invest in our club as we were struggling(09/10).History from there on in.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 pm

They saw a team with a 50/50 chance of gaining promotion and all the cash that goes with it, their gamble failed and they have been stuck with us since and adding debt to the club in the form of loans which are incuring interest with every intention of one day reclaiming it back.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Firerawk88 wrote:They saw a team with a 50/50 chance of gaining promotion and all the cash that goes with it, their gamble failed and they have been stuck with us since and adding debt to the club in the form of loans which are incuring interest with every intention of one day reclaiming it back.

TG said they could have pulled out after the Blackpool game if they wished but didn't.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Capital of a country
We have international links
We are on the international map
There is investment opportunities elsewhere in Cardiff to create a monopoly
We are the biggest club in the country
There is a higher chance of surrounding areas getting behind Cardiff more when we do well
Helping a Welsh side to do well will increase his brand image tenfold

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm

I believe the Malaysians recognised a Sleeping Giant and a football club with great potential with a loyal and passionate support and decided that all we needed was the right financial backing. Now we are a Premiership club in waiting and the opportunity is there to grow Cardiff City and become secure and stable. What a turnaround from when we couldn't pay our tax bills ! :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:37 pm

It's all thanks to this guy and his dad of course

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4lxMNgm3KoY/T ... 1%255D.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Chan