Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"BIG SIGNINGS IF WE GO UP"!!!!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 am

If we manage to get promoted this season we will obviously need to strengthen a bit more but how??? Do we bring in fairly decent hard working players at a reasonable price or do we go out and get a couple of top notch players at a cost? Can anyone see city putting in bids of 6,7,8 million or even more for a single player? Wigan say you would need to spend £80 million plus just to get to their level(and they are regular strugglers).Hope we don't throw stupid money at it,we got a pretty good team as it is-but we will need new blood!!!

Re: "BIG SIGNINGS IF WE GO UP"!!!!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 am

Tan is shrewd, he would see what Fernandes has done at QPR and he wouldn't make the mistake.
Hopefully he sees in Malky and his men he has another Shrewd individual who invests smartly.
No point naming players at this point simply because it it pointless.

My question would be, would they go after players at clubs who are/have been relegated that season?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:16 am

Where was that quote taken from? Or were you quoting yourself?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 am

sir ninian wrote:Wigan say you would need to spend £80 million plus just to get to their level(and they are regular strugglers).

Was that a statement made by the club?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:26 am

We'd probably look at who went down and what players would be useful from that group and who nearly went up and who would be useful from them to start. Overall I think it'd be 7 players 4 of which would be starters.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:27 am

sir ninian wrote:If we manage to get promoted this season we will obviously need to strengthen a bit more but how??? Do we bring in fairly decent hard working players at a reasonable price or do we go out and get a couple of top notch players at a cost? Can anyone see city putting in bids of 6,7,8 million or even more for a single player? Wigan say you would need to spend £80 million plus just to get to their level(and they are regular strugglers).Hope we don't throw stupid money at it,we got a pretty good team as it is-but we will need new blood!!!

The interesting thing is Southhampton and QPR spent close on 30m each before a ball was kicked this season.Malky would spend 7-8m I think as long as he felt the player in question was the right type for this club.It'll be a whole new world for us fans :malky:

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 am

We'd probably look at who went down and what players would be useful from that group and who nearly went up and who would be useful from them to start. Overall I think it'd be 7 players 4 of which would be starters.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 am

Gareth Bale always gets homesick, we'll bring him back to Cardiff. Ramsey will then follow as the 2nd signing and we'll move on from there.

A man can hope :lol:

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:54 am

Karl wrote:
sir ninian wrote:Wigan say you would need to spend £80 million plus just to get to their level(and they are regular strugglers).

yeah i read it last year.wigan said they have invested upwards of £80m to get where they are and anyone who comes up would need top investment.they have spent a lot in transfers over the years.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 am

The_Onion_Knight wrote:Gareth Bale always gets homesick, we'll bring him back to Cardiff. Ramsey will then follow as the 2nd signing and we'll move on from there.

A man can hope :lol:

I know you say that in jest but if we get there we'll be able to go for players that wouldn't have considered a move here before.Frazer Cambell is an example in a funny way.A gamble by both parties.I don't think he wanted to move down to the championship but from his point of we are the safest bet outside of a prem club to ensure he plays in the top tier next season.He's comming back from a major injury so theres our gamble as theres always a chance he may not be what he once was,however before his injury theres no doubt he's a top drawer player that would have cost us many,many times what we paid for him and we would have had to compete with a host of prem clubs to get him.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 am

sir ninian wrote:
Karl wrote:

yeah i read it last year.wigan said they have invested upwards of £80m to get where they are and anyone who comes up would need top investment.they have spent a lot in transfers over the years.

Swansea haven't invested 80 million clams, surely.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 am

Karl wrote:
sir ninian wrote:
Karl wrote:

Swansea haven't invested 80 million clams, surely.

no they haven't karl but wigan have been there a good few years so its accumalated.i would think swansea will have to shell out to maintain their status.they can't keep on finding players like michu every year.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:27 am

I have a good feeling we'll be seeing one or two arrivals from the Eredivisie in the summer. :D

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:54 am

I think we would have to buy cheap mainly. I reckon some Eastern Europeans would be good! :lol:

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm

I suspect the money will be there.

But Malky Mackay would sooner look for a bargain.

If he can continue in the same vein in the Premiership I can see us getting
some very good buys in, but not necessarily for big money. The 'standard'
of player we have at the Club now is good. But in the Premiership you do
need that 'special' player who can unlock a defence, or a player that can
do that something different in or around the box and get you a goal. Two
or three like that, and a load of grafters should see us right. My guess is that
we will spend something like £30m in the summer, and finish mid-table
next season :D

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 pm

£80m at Wigan sounds a hell of a lot. I live up here and dont recall seeing this amount of talent in the newspapers....

The way Wigan have done it is by purchasing cheaply and selling on. Here are some examples:

Leighton Baines - Trainee - Sold to Everton for £6m
Pascal Chimbonda - Bought for £500k and sold a year later for £4.5m
Wilson Palacios - Bought for £1m and sold a year later for £12m
Valencia - Bought for £5m and sold two years later for £16m
Victor Moses - Bought for £2.5m and sold two years later for £9m

Our owners have far more financial clout than Dave Whelan and I would like to think that we would be capable of finding a few more stars than Wigan have. The only difference is that we should be able to keep hold of them.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Do what the jacks have done, go to another Country and get a bargain, our players in Uk are overpriced and not worth the price

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:46 pm

Norwich have done alright buying young British players from outside the premiership

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Just to prove my point - Norwich signed the following players in their first season and looked comfortable enough

Bradley Johnson free, Elliot Bennett 1.5m, Steve Morison 2.5m, Anthony Pilkington 2m, Jonny Howson 1m and Ryan Bennett for 3.5m in January. That's 10.5m which is less than we spent last summer.

They also paid 2m for James Vaughan and about 800k for Daniel Ayala who have hardly played for them

This year they bought Robert Snodgrass 3m, Michael Turner 1.75m, Sebastian Bassong 2.75m, Alex Tettey 1.5m and Mark Bunn 1m. They also basically swapped Morison for Becchio. That's only 10m.

That's definitely the way to do it

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:23 pm

bspark wrote:Just to prove my point - Norwich signed the following players in their first season and looked comfortable enough

Bradley Johnson free, Elliot Bennett 1.5m, Steve Morison 2.5m, Anthony Pilkington 2m, Jonny Howson 1m and Ryan Bennett for 3.5m in January. That's 10.5m which is less than we spent last summer.

They also paid 2m for James Vaughan and about 800k for Daniel Ayala who have hardly played for them

This year they bought Robert Snodgrass 3m, Michael Turner 1.75m, Sebastian Bassong 2.75m, Alex Tettey 1.5m and Mark Bunn 1m. They also basically swapped Morison for Becchio. That's only 10m.

That's definitely the way to do it

Agree. There's options like this available out there. I can't see Tan / Malky going balls deep into it and £20m of spending on half a dozen or so players could be enough. :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 am

I Will say this again for the 3rd season in a row - make Jordan Rhodes a CCFC player :oops: :oops:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:09 am

I would say 4-5 really good signings not your rudys or taylors ect and we would be ok as we have a team of work horses as it is :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 am

bluebird1977 wrote:I would say 4-5 really good signings not your rudys or taylors ect and we would be ok as we have a team of work horses as it is :ayatollah:

agree with merthyr boy
:mrgreen:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:23 am

I am assuming the club are already looking at Bosmans for those players whose contracts expire in the summer

Let's get a few players "signed" on Pre-Contracts subject to us being in the Premiership and then we can sign a further 5 players for some decent money.