Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Do we really hate each other

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:38 pm

With our little derby on the horizon and a few remarks flying about ,do cardiff / bristol really hate each other or is it just a match day tribal thing , there are lots of welsh boys working our side of the bridge ,most places east of newport are pretty much full of ex bristolians , many of you come shopping in bristol with your other halves as i do likewise in cardiff etc , i also worked in the polo grounds pontypool for many years and had great banter , was then a lorry driver visiting many places in south wales again great banter and now in our depot in bristol we have many welsh lads who deliver to us and again great banter , is it just about the day of the game , oh another thing everytime im at bristol airport its full of you lot jetting off somewhere ,

Re: Do we really hate each other

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:38 pm

- this post was censored -

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Bristol C in the late 70's and 80's were def my rivals along with Newport County.
Nowadays I actually get on with a lot of Bristol lads, times change hey.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Used to hate scott murray but thats it.

I think a lot of people try to glorify our rivalry with bristol to try and make it seem as If we dont hate swansea that much. In this day and age, swansea are our biggest rivals.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:44 pm

wurzel red wrote:With our little derby on the horizon and a few remarks flying about ,do cardiff / bristol really hate each other or is it just a match day tribal thing , there are lots of welsh boys working our side of the bridge ,most places east of newport are pretty much full of ex bristolians , many of you come shopping in bristol with your other halves as i do likewise in cardiff etc , i also worked in the polo grounds pontypool for many years and had great banter , was then a lorry driver visiting many places in south wales again great banter and now in our depot in bristol we have many welsh lads who deliver to us and again great banter , is it just about the day of the game , oh another thing everytime im at bristol airport its full of you lot jetting off somewhere ,

I am old enough to have been at Ashton gate when your fans sung disgraceful songs about the aberfan disaster and watched men in their fifties and sixties riot outside the ground
Time is a great healer but that is the reason the older generation bear a bigger animosity towards Bristol city before Swansea :old:

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:45 pm

steve davies wrote:
wurzel red wrote:With our little derby on the horizon and a few remarks flying about ,do cardiff / bristol really hate each other or is it just a match day tribal thing , there are lots of welsh boys working our side of the bridge ,most places east of newport are pretty much full of ex bristolians , many of you come shopping in bristol with your other halves as i do likewise in cardiff etc , i also worked in the polo grounds pontypool for many years and had great banter , was then a lorry driver visiting many places in south wales again great banter and now in our depot in bristol we have many welsh lads who deliver to us and again great banter , is it just about the day of the game , oh another thing everytime im at bristol airport its full of you lot jetting off somewhere ,

I am old enough to have been at Ashton gate when your fans sung disgraceful songs about the aberfan disaster and watched men in their fifties and sixties riot outside the ground
Time is a great healer but that is the reason the older generation bear a bigger animosity towards Bristol city before Swansea :old:

Spot on Steve, it became big rivalry for years with Bristol.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Yes

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 pm

I know the Polo grounds well, who did you work for?

Regarding the "hatred" between us, no, I don't hate any football fan (well, this new breed of Swansea fan is starting to get to me).

I hate our government and the EU, not the working class man.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Hate is a strong word, just football rivalry and banter.

My opinions towards BCFC have mellowed since I worked there, I slowly grew to like Bristol as a city and therefore the same happened with the club. However since our current positions differed immensely I have found the friendly banter has turned bitter. I continued what I thought was banter but I think they now hate the success we have.

I find myself chatting more to Rovers fans now.
Last edited by Wayne S on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I hate Bristol City, not as much as Swansea, but I hate them

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Remember getting off at Temple Meads for the Eastville game in 1983', there was about 10 lads chanting Aberfan outside the station - the Valleys boys on the train went crazy and straight at em..

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
steve davies wrote:

Even though im in my forties steve never really heard that when i was down there obviously as a nipper at the time , but yes poor taste , i honestly think now that even the most ardent passionate fan controls there feelings/ mouth towards any sort of
adversity towards another team , im sure back in the 70s 80s and even 90s the fabrice muamba incident would have been mocked by the tottenham fans

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Pooler_BlueBird wrote:I know the Polo grounds well, who did you work for?

Regarding the "hatred" between us, no, I don't hate any football fan (well, this new breed of Swansea fan is starting to get to me).

I use to work for crane fruehauf and stayed in a room above a pub called the globe in ponty

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm

CantonJack wrote:Yes

ha i knew there would be a few lol

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:00 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Remember getting off at Temple Meads for the Eastville game in 1983', there was about 10 lads chanting Aberfan outside the station - the Valleys boys on the train went crazy and straight at em..

Very bad taste indeed but cardiff fans have hardly been saints. Chants about harrold shipman, yorkshire ripper and istanbul were sung Quite regurlarly during the final years at ninian park.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Wayne S wrote:Hate is a strong word, just football rivalry and banter.

My opinions towards BCFC have mellowed since I worked there, I slowly grew to like Bristol as a city and therefore the same happened with the club. However since our current positions differed immensely I have found the friendly banter has turned bitter. I continued what I thought was banter but I think they now hate the success we have.

I find myself chatting more to Rovers fans now.

Firstly im amazed you can find a rovers fan and secondly one that can string 2 words together , ( just banter )

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:03 pm

For me it's only on matchday where I can feel the tension, but other than that I don't really care about Bristol.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:03 pm

wurzel red wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
steve davies wrote:

Even though im in my forties steve never really heard that when i was down there obviously as a nipper at the time , but yes poor taste , i honestly think now that even the most ardent passionate fan controls there feelings/ mouth towards any sort of
adversity towards another team , im sure back in the 70s 80s and even 90s the fabrice muamba incident would have been mocked by the tottenham fans

I agree that things have moved on to such extent that things like minutes silences always seem to be respected by both sets of fans now for their respective clubs causes.
I also think that CCTV etc has put paid to those kind of incidents because people are easily identified and punished accordingly.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:04 pm

rivalary / banter / hatred whatever you want to call it are a funny thing , the few ( i am emphasize few ) lads who say on here about hatting us , whats the bet if you bumped into each other in a bar on hols abroad and started watching the football together
whats the odds you end up buying each other a beer ,and probably chatting for the rest of the holiday

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Bristol City/Rovers or whatever you are called ……now a footballing irrelevance. Knock the lights off on your way out, we're just not interested in small fry like you anymore.

Hwyl fawr saesneg mochyn.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:09 pm

As an older fan I agree that Bristol was the biggest rival but we seemed to be in the same division as Rovers more than City, usually fun at Eastville, we wouldn't have considedered the Jacks much in those days, probably to do with England/Wales rivalry as anything. Went to Brunel Tech when I was an apprentice (late 70s) met a few decent City lads and some Casablancas from Rovers. Have a couple of good mates who are City as well. Didn't we play City for some sort of promotion celebration years ago.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 pm

steve davies wrote:
wurzel red wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
steve davies wrote:

Agree the cctv thing is the hooligans worst nightmare , a lad i know well works bcfc cctv unit in the ground and he knows about all the other cctv units in the area , basically you can hardly get from temple meads to ashton gate without being on cctv the whole way in some form or another and to you welsh lads who have done that walk you know how far that is , even though i think some of you have run in some capacity a few times , ( banter ) chaps ,

I agree that things have moved on to such extent that things like minutes silences always seem to be respected by both sets of fans now for their respective clubs causes.
I also think that CCTV etc has put paid to those kind of incidents because people are easily identified and punished accordingly.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:Bristol City/Rovers or whatever you are called ……now a footballing irrelevance. Knock the lights off on your way out, we're just not interested in small fry like you anymore.

Be very careful werent portsmouth saying the same thing to southampton a few years back , just a thought fella

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:17 pm

wurzel red wrote:

I use to work for crane fruehauf and stayed in a room above a pub called the globe in ponty

Bet u pulled a few chicks in the Globe back in the day ;) :lol:

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:23 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
wurzel red wrote:

Bet u pulled a few chicks in the Globe back in the day ;) :lol:

come to think of it :roll: no had a bit of luck with the old welsh girls though

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:29 pm

wurzel red wrote:
Blazing Saddles wrote:Bristol City/Rovers or whatever you are called ……now a footballing irrelevance. Knock the lights off on your way out, we're just not interested in small fry like you anymore.

Be very careful werent portsmouth saying the same thing to southampton a few years back , just a thought fella

Portsmouth can't speak Welsh.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Just been reading yor messageboard, looks like you lot are bang up for it, and are close to selling yor allocation
http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/ ... iff/page-1
Great stuff, should make for a Good atmosphere. I for one will miss our derbies next season if we go up or you get relegated

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:
wurzel red wrote:

ie ond fi gall fella

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:

Just been reading yor messageboard, looks like you lot are bang up for it, and are close to selling yor allocation
http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/ ... iff/page-1
Great stuff, should make for a Good atmosphere. I for one will miss our derbies next season if we go up or you get relegated

Yep think from what i gather this is a lads day out most people are resigned to us going down so as we havnt travelled over to cardiff ( not in any numbers anyway ) due to the shitty bubble ,so its gonna be a good day out , until the game starts thats when our day will end for 90 mins lol , should be a cracking atmosphere , do most sides take 2,000 to yourselves

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:39 pm

wurzel red wrote:
Blazing Saddles wrote:
wurzel red wrote:

ie ond fi gall fella

Good effort.