Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

AN ACADEMY BOND,HOW ABOUT IT.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Been thinking of ways to help the club and more so the academy, mind you will not be rushing in or volunteering my cash or time whilst PR is still there.

A strong academy in my opinion will ensure a good future for our club, but under the current regime it's been run on a shoe string and just about runs from week to week.

Now I don't know what it costs per year, but I wouldn't mind betting that the money from the Ramsey sale alone would keep it going for a good few years alone.

What if us fans possibly through the Trust set up a bond system, the club could break down the figures and the details, but what I was thinking in my naive simplified mind was something along the lines of.

We sell X number of bonds at let's say £500, this will be a 4 or 5 year investmment, whilst it's in place for that period, any player who comes out of the academy and is sold for money will see that profit split. Possibly 50% going into the club's coffers and 50% being split pro rata between the bond holders.

Now after the agreed period, if no players had been sold, your money would be either returned to you,or re-invested for another set period, with the gamble of profit if any players are sold in that period.

Any profit made, could be offered to you as cash at the end of your period or re-invested in some more bonds.

On a wider scale we could even do something like this to raise funds for new players, with a similar split if that player was ever sold on for a profit.\all funds from the bonds could go into a fund set aside for players, but it would have to be water tight after the last PR disaster.

It's our club and we can't let others destroy it's future ebevn though they have mad e a mess of the present.

Any thoughts?

Re: AN ACADEMY BOND,HOW ABOUT IT.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Gwyn, I will always Support The Academy, Sam and Borley started it and The Riddler has made fortunes from it and left it virtually to die.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Gwyn , I would be very interested, :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:02 pm

We already have the academy foundation, 600 members £10 a month roughly doubt that's enough though, football ant cheap...

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:17 pm

This is a totally different set up to the foundation thingy.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:21 pm

gwynn thats a good idea i would be up for it so would my company, but like you say we wont invest sod all until there is a more stable management team in place

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:07 am

very good idea Gwyn aslong as CCFC dont take too much out of it tho ? :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:49 am

Great idea Gwyn, not sure the club would agree to losing 50% of any future transfer fees though.

But your certainly on the right track, lots of fans would be interested in supporting the academy. But you have to ask yourself why havent our marketing/sponsership dept come up with something like this already.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:01 am

BigGwynram wrote:Been thinking of ways to help the club and more so the academy, mind you will not be rushing in or volunteering my cash or time whilst PR is still there.

A strong academy in my opinion will ensure a good future for our club, but under the current regime it's been run on a shoe string and just about runs from week to week.

Now I don't know what it costs per year, but I wouldn't mind betting that the money from the Ramsey sale alone would keep it going for a good few years alone.

What if us fans possibly through the Trust set up a bond system, the club could break down the figures and the details, but what I was thinking in my naive simplified mind was something along the lines of.

We sell X number of bonds at let's say £500, this will be a 4 or 5 year investmment, whilst it's in place for that period, any player who comes out of the academy and is sold for money will see that profit split. Possibly 50% going into the club's coffers and 50% being split pro rata between the bond holders.

Now after the agreed period, if no players had been sold, your money would be either returned to you,or re-invested for another set period, with the gamble of profit if any players are sold in that period.

Any profit made, could be offered to you as cash at the end of your period or re-invested in some more bonds.

On a wider scale we could even do something like this to raise funds for new players, with a similar split if that player was ever sold on for a profit.\all funds from the bonds could go into a fund set aside for players, but it would have to be water tight after the last PR disaster.

It's our club and we can't let others destroy it's future ebevn though they have mad e a mess of the present.

Any thoughts?

It's a great template and should be investigated further. The club has to realise that the days of milking fans by exploiting their loyalties are over.

When push comes to shove the directors only ever put any money into the club if they can see a return. By the same principle if supporters are to contribute over and above their season tickets it must be on the basis of a return for those fans.

However the 'return' doesn't have to be straight cash, the fan investors might agree to shares or even a left-back! :lol:

This is a great idea as the Trust and the Academy are natural partners. I would back it 100%

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:44 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:Been thinking of ways to help the club and more so the academy, mind you will not be rushing in or volunteering my cash or time whilst PR is still there.

Any thoughts?

It's a great template and should be investigated further. The club has to realise that the days of milking fans by exploiting their loyalties are over.

When push comes to shove the directors only ever put any money into the club if they can see a return. By the same principle if supporters are to contribute over and above their season tickets it must be on the basis of a return for those fans.

However the 'return' doesn't have to be straight cash, the fan investors might agree to shares or even a left-back! :lol:

This is a great idea as the Trust and the Academy are natural partners. I would back it 100%

i'd be in.
i cant howevere see the club giving 50% to the Bond holders unless we've invested millions.

As said above the club could give other rewarss to Bond Holders which would cost them bugger all -and then just pay say 10% as a dividend to the bond holders.

The sort of rewards.

- Day at the training camp
- Free matches in the Premier Club (plenty of space there)
- pics, names in the programme.
- Singed shirts, photos etc.. of the players.
- vouchers for the shop,
- Opportunity to bring friends to the game FOC.
- Competitons to say, sit on the bench for an Academy game with the coaches, free trips to away games with the coaching team and the academy side.

I'm sure there are loads of opportunities.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:20 pm

maybe this is something that he new Trust with new Committee could take on board ? :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:03 pm

I have already spoken to Borley, and he would be more than happy to meet up and consider things.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:54 pm

sounds good then lets hope something positive can come out of this now ?

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:01 pm

I'd chip in £500 for a bond.