Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Our Defending Today

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:15 pm

I thought we were outstanding.Not just at the back but the way we defended all over the park was superb.Players throwing themselves into tackles and blocking shooting opportunities all game.I thought the back four were outstanding.If anything McNaughton was the only one who seemed a little out of sorts,admittedly he was up against a very good winger in Johnson.Maybe he's not fully fit yet but for me he just didnt seem himself today.If we can take that attitude and mentality into every game we wont go far wrong,but this is our problem,consistency is the key.

A great 6 points and confidence boost to take into the big Christmas period. :ayatollah:

Re: Our Defending Today

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:27 pm

yes great win,i agree thought macnaughton didnt look right,he seemed to limp after first tackle on him.
i thought etuhu looked ok when he came on,pity he got injured

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Corkrey wrote:I thought we were outstanding.Not just at the back but the way we defended all over the park was superb.Players throwing themselves into tackles and blocking shooting opportunities all game.I thought the back four were outstanding.If anything McNaughton was the only one who seemed a little out of sorts,admittedly he was up against a very good winger in Johnson.Maybe he's not fully fit yet but for me he just didnt seem himself today.If we can take that attitude and mentality into every game we wont go far wrong,but this is our problem,consistency is the key.

A great 6 points and confidence boost to take into the big Christmas period. :ayatollah:

In the first half they were well on top for spells and our defenders were throwing themsleves into tackles and blocks. It was inspirational stuff.

In fairness though I thought we fought hard at barnsley, as well, just today we got the break and at barnsley they did.

Thats why comments like 'gutless' about our side make me sick. The only time (I missed the QPR game) I've felt we didnt try this season was 2nd half against Ipswich and even then it was only a few players.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:10 pm

I have to be honest, I am one of Hudson's biggest critics, but the last few games he has made me eat my words!

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:22 pm

I think thats 8 clean sheets for Marshall aswell,even though we defend badly on times thats a good record by any standard.Credit to him and the defence.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Maybe, after all this time, DJ has solved the problem of goalkeeper and who should replace Alexander

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Marshall is a top class keeper .....Credit to all the team today ...

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:57 pm

Our defending today was top class. I was telling everyone who would listen on the way up that I'll be glad when Adam Johnson's gone to Sunderland in January - suffice to say he tore us apart and I was jumping with joy when he got injured.

Otherwise, the "main three" of Gerrard, Hudson and Marshall were brilliant. Some of Marshall's saves were amazing, they really were.

Only centre midfield is the bad point now. I think neither Joe nor Rae know quite when the other's going forward. I lost count of the amount of times (today and in previous games) I and numerous people around me have angrily shouted "WHERE'S THE CENTRE MID?!?!?!!!!"

Still - a win is a win is a win. Gotta keep the pressure on the manager and the team now, we know what happens when we ease off.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:07 am

agree 100%!!! immense display all round, i think the midfield problem is that ledley needs that op, so we need cover for that and it needs some one with that killer pass and who can control the game better, but the futures looking good

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:09 am

Nottage Blue wrote:Maybe, after all this time, DJ has solved the problem of goalkeeper and who should replace Alexander

Definitely. If Burke hadn't scored I think Marshall would have been given man of the match today.

I was worried when they were given that free kick just outside the box, as I think set pieces have been one of Marshalls main weaknesses. Fair play to him though, he pulled off an outstanding save.